Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:39 PM

646 posts, read 1,785,980 times

Advertisements

[quote=mollies mom;822805]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I thought you/others wanted them to just go ahead and apply the legal way, but as you see, there is no such option for most. The people who are in line the legal way will most likely NOT be in the market for many of the jobs that illegal aliens do today.
I think the current proposed bill isn't such a bad idea, it will give these illegal aliens a penalty and they will be sent to the back of the line since everybody currently in line will be processed first so there is no jumping in the line. Also, unemployment is very low right now, so you can't really say that they are "stealing" the jobs from people who reside lawfully in the country.[/QUOTE+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

I do prefer that they apply the legal way FROM THIER OWN COUNTRY before they ever jump the border and arrive here illegally and thumb their nose at us and our immigration laws...........I dare say that if the tables were reversed and it was Americans who were sneaking into their country by the millions we would be immediately deported or become citizens of their penal system, so why should our treatment of them be anything other than what we would expect if we did as they are doing. As for the people in the legal line not wanting to do those jobs available, hey you take what you can get just to be able to come here, most of us here have had to work jobs that we hated or we felt were beneath us at one time or another in our careers, so why should the immigrants be any different. I think most people that I have talked to about it feel that we should have a number of total immigrants we allow in each year and divide that among all who apply, seems fair to me that way. If the number is 100 and we have people from 10 countries looking to enter then each country would get 10 slots, if there are not enough people (10) who wish to come then they forfit the empty slots, they do not get picked up by any other country, seems to me we would be keeping a balance of all peoples entering instead of being overwhelmed by one group which seems to be what most posters here are angy at. Legal immigration is close to my heart as I grew up learning about all different nationalities and cultures and wish the same for my grandchildren.
Only problem like I have been saying is that the majority of the people who are here illegally couldn't just apply to get here legally because there was no option for them.

And I find it highly unlikely that many immigrants who come here legally would compete for the same jobs since most of them have fairly advanced job skills and education.

So each country should get the same number of spots? For example, if each country is given 1,000 slots, but one country has 1,000,000 applicants while another has only 1,000, only 0.1% of the first country's applicants would be approved while the second country would have a 100% success rate. I'm not sure if that's the way to go, but I can understand your point of making it more equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 PM

233 posts, read 439,064 times
Smile Equal

[quote=Stockholmaren;828483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post

Only problem like I have been saying is that the majority of the people who are here illegally couldn't just apply to get here legally because there was no option for them.

And I find it highly unlikely that many immigrants who come here legally would compete for the same jobs since most of them have fairly advanced job skills and education.

So each country should get the same number of spots? For example, if each country is given 1,000 slots, but one country has 1,000,000 applicants while another has only 1,000, only 0.1% of the first country's applicants would be approved while the second country would have a 100% success rate. I'm not sure if that's the way to go, but I can understand your point of making it more equal.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
As I say I am all for legal immigration, grew up in NYC and I think that was the best part of being raised there...........we learned about all different cultures and people, it was something I would have wanted for my own kids but hubby insisted on them having a yard and such to play in...........I did make sure we lived in a very mixed neighborhood so at least they could have other nationalites and races around them and learn tolerance for others and their customs and not have a lilly white un natural existance, many in my and my husbands family objected to it but we are happy with the way the kids grew up. I guess I am all about equality when it comes down to it.............I don't want more of any particular group be it white, black, asian,latino or any other..........I just want them to come legally and in an equal number so one doesn't outnumber another. Have a great evening

Old 06-04-2007, 09:42 PM

47 posts, read 129,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
When referring to illegal aliens, most people here assume it to be people for Mexico that are here for lower-paying jobs. At the moment, how would these people go about coming to the US legally? From what I know, they wouldn't qualify for an application for permanent residency or even temporary residency. It's not as easy as just getting in line, you have to have a valid reason. If I'm mistaken, please let me know under what rule they would be allowed to enter the country besides family ties.
AMEN! HALLELUJAH! My point exactly! I have been trying to tell people on this site for ages that it is not as simple as they may think. People in my family from Honduras have tried to apply, and even visit here legally and have been denied. When you come from a third world country, have no job and cannot afford higher education do you really believe the United States wants you to become one of them? The answer is simply, NO! I have been to the INS office in Charlotte a couple of times, and let me tell you those people are rude! They don't care about anyone! The only thing I can compare immigrating here legally from a third world country is finding a needle in a haystack. My grandmother was wanting to visit here from Honduras because she had never met me...we applied for her to visit...DENIED! We even wrote a letter to Senator Elizabeth Dole and she sent back some idiotic letter saying she doesn't support illegal immigration, I have yet to figure out what the hell that had to do with my grandmother visiting! Its easy to sit there, as Americans, and say, "Oh, well they should immigrate here legally." They have no clue what illegals go through daily. I can only speak for the illegals of Latin America...and the only ones I know that have been able to get American citizenship are A) those who came here illegally and stayed long enough w/o getting caught to apply for citizenship, B) those who came here, fell in love with an American, and got married, or C) those who have family ties with someone who was originally an illegal alien, but managed to obtain American citizenship from scenarios A or B.

And...out of curiosity, I want to know, for those of you who think the US should deport all illegals, how you would like to see that accomplished. Would you like agents to go door-to-door asking each household if there were any illegal aliens occupying the premises? Please tell me how you would like to see this accomplished...I am dying to know!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:18 PM

233 posts, read 439,064 times
Smile How's this then

[quote=Stockholmaren;828483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
Hows this for a plan then.......based on what America is supposed to have been built upon. Say your country is alloted 1000 slots for people to immigrate to the USA, the top 10 percent go to those with the education and job skills to earn a livable wage in their own country, the rest go to the people with the lower ability to earn a decent living for their family in their home land, after all isn't that what used to be the purpose for coming here...........not so that you could increase the amount that the more educated (they are able to provide well for themselves at home and just want more) could earn but to allow those without that ability to have the opportunity to provide a decent life for their family I think people would have to be very carefully screened to not allow bribery and corrution to take place and to make sure we weren't accepting those who are criminals but I think allowing those who have no chance in their homeland was what we were all about when this country was founded. I still think we should not accept more of any one group than another as that seems to upset too many people and creates hatred all over the place, I do understand that there are more of certain groups that need help but we have to try to maintain some kind of balance here too so no one feels they are getting pushed aside. I also think that for the first 10 years they are here they should not qualify for any programs unless they are hurt, in the case of emergency, aid should be made available with a payback plan or assests attached until the amount is paid back, after that time I think they should qualify for all programs as all citizens are. I do not think they should receive anything older immigrants didn't. If they are convicted of any felony charge for the first 10 years it should mean automatic deportation without any hearings, without the ability to return and forfiture of all assests to their victims or the state.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:20 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,333,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaranda View Post
AMEN! HALLELUJAH! My point exactly! I have been trying to tell people on this site for ages that it is not as simple as they may think. People in my family from Honduras have tried to apply, and even visit here legally and have been denied. When you come from a third world country, have no job and cannot afford higher education do you really believe the United States wants you to become one of them? The answer is simply, NO! I have been to the INS office in Charlotte a couple of times, and let me tell you those people are rude! They don't care about anyone! The only thing I can compare immigrating here legally from a third world country is finding a needle in a haystack. My grandmother was wanting to visit here from Honduras because she had never met me...we applied for her to visit...DENIED! We even wrote a letter to Senator Elizabeth Dole and she sent back some idiotic letter saying she doesn't support illegal immigration, I have yet to figure out what the hell that had to do with my grandmother visiting! Its easy to sit there, as Americans, and say, "Oh, well they should immigrate here legally." They have no clue what illegals go through daily. I can only speak for the illegals of Latin America...and the only ones I know that have been able to get American citizenship are A) those who came here illegally and stayed long enough w/o getting caught to apply for citizenship, B) those who came here, fell in love with an American, and got married, or C) those who have family ties with someone who was originally an illegal alien, but managed to obtain American citizenship from scenarios A or B.

And...out of curiosity, I want to know, for those of you who think the US should deport all illegals, how you would like to see that accomplished. Would you like agents to go door-to-door asking each household if there were any illegal aliens occupying the premises? Please tell me how you would like to see this accomplished...I am dying to know!
It's not easy to be a legal citizen. It's not necessarily fair either (different quotas for different countries). It's also not an entitlement. I see nothing wrong with making citizenship difficult. America is worth it, and when you're in demand, you can leverage that. Perhaps America isn't doing that enough... (leveraging its strengths and its negotiating position).

Old 06-18-2007, 08:48 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,735,319 times
American citizenship should not be had for a song by any Tom, Dick, or Juan that wants to move in here. Citizenship is a priviledge, not a right. It should be a difficult process. That way, only those who seriously wish to be a part of America will perservere.

Amnesty cheapens U.S. citizenship and makes a mockery of those who truly want to be Americans.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:27 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,421,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
American citizenship should not be had for a song by any Tom, Dick, or Juan that wants to move in here. Citizenship is a priviledge, not a right. It should be a difficult process. That way, only those who seriously wish to be a part of America will perservere.

Amnesty cheapens U.S. citizenship and makes a mockery of those who truly want to be Americans.
Yes, yes and yes.....wup, there it is!!!
That's exactly what I am talking about. It get's to me, to hear people complaining on here, wanting to come, but saying the process for them or their relatives, taking to long.
GET OVER IT!
If people really want to come here, do it the legal way, instead of sneaking in and having the nerve to DEMAND citizenship and all priviliges.
Go trought the legal process, just like everyone else!
Just think....if I would have snuck in illegally, you would support me too right now!!!! LOL

Old 06-22-2007, 10:36 PM

4 posts, read 48,413 times
if the illegal immigrants were unable to get jobs in this country then they would have no choice but to leave or better yet, not come at all.
if these people who are employing illegals were punished for it instead of making bigger profits because of it we may see impovement in the situation.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:42 PM

923 posts, read 3,509,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josiecat View Post
if the illegal immigrants were unable to get jobs in this country then they would have no choice but to leave or better yet, not come at all.
if these people who are employing illegals were punished for it instead of making bigger profits because of it we may see impovement in the situation.

CEO'S Need to GO TO JAIL !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration