Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:04 PM

233 posts, read 439,869 times

Advertisements

So I was thinking......(could be a dangerous thing, my thinking) so many say our economy would suffer if we got rid of all the illegal immigrants here now and we would have no one to take the jobs they now hold (I don't believe it).......seems to me I remember people stating there being a long wait for those who choose to enter legally...........lets work out a trade off. Start to bring those into the country on those long lines that have been approved while at the same time removing those that are here illegally. I don't think it's fair to those who chose to come here by following all the proper procedures that they wait forever while this country decides what to do with the illegal bunch we have here now..........simple to me, DEPORT the illegal and replace with the legal who have been waiting for some what amounts to many years. You will then have workers to take those jobs the illegals are now doing........at least until the new immigrants get used to their new country and learn the language and customs............these would then be followed by more of the same as others continue coming here legally. At the same time we need to get aggresive and quick on the treatment of the illegals, forget the trials and such that stall their deportation and cost the taxpayers money........you're here illegally YOU GO IMMEDIATELY. Sound like a plan to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 09:03 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Won't work:

- The people seeking legal residence in the US are no where near the numbers of illegal immigrants.
- The people seeking legal residence aren't going to want to do the work that the current illegals are doing.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:05 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,129 times
Sure, I'd vote for it. Send the illegal aliens to the back of the line! If we need 12 million jobs filled, let them be filled by legal immigrants!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:02 AM

592 posts, read 2,810,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Sure, I'd vote for it. Send the illegal aliens to the back of the line! If we need 12 million jobs filled, let them be filled by legal immigrants!
Another idea...reduce the welfare roles by requiring work from those that are able...let prisoners do "the jobs nobody wants"....I could go on and on...

I still vote for sending the illegals out of the country forever insteading of the back of the line, they jumped over the line and shouldn't be allowed back into line!! (does that make sense or have I had too much coffee??)

Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 AM

Default The numbers & the jobs

[quote=Humanoid;801977]Won't work:

- The people seeking legal residence in the US are no where near the numbers of illegal immigrants.
- The people seeking legal residence aren't going to want to do the work that the current illegals are doing.[/QUOTE+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

Well, in that case we could start taking those back in who still want to come back AFTER their deportation, after they have met or exceeded all the requirements.
I have met plenty of immigrants who are happy to be able to get any kind of job when they first arrive, they may not stay at that first job long but they are happy to have it as a place to begin.
In no case do I believe those that are here illegally should be allowed this program they are trying to push down the American taxpayers throat............as citizens we are taught and expect to have to obey the laws so why should there be exceptions for those who haven't thought enough about us to obey them to begin with, yet have the nerve to start their cry for residence here with a list of demands...........these wouldn't be the kind of people I would like to have to depend on in the case of attack against this country, I don't see them as putting their lives on the line for others freedoms, matter of fact on the night of 911 in NYC I had a conversation with the staff where I worked that were for the most part all illegal and out of the 25 that were there that night only 1 said he wasn't planning on going anywhere unless he would be allowed to join our military if he was needed, the rest were worrying that they would be able to get their assests together and get out of the country quickly if war broke out, because in their words "we don't owe this nasty country nothing, we're only here to make money". I don't know about anyone else but it seems to me that you ougth to be willing to fight for this country if you are ready to help yourself to it's assets, if you're against fighting then go be support as a file clerk or medic there are plenty of support jobs in the military but don't under any circumstances turn around and tell me that you refuse to help the country you are looking to move to with the reason "we are here for money only, not to help this country" and then think I am going to welcome you with open arms, assist you in any way or be happy that our president and the elected fools are looking to give you a free walk at the expense of the taxpayer and with funds that could help plenty of underpriviliged Americans.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,892 times
When referring to illegal aliens, most people here assume it to be people for Mexico that are here for lower-paying jobs. At the moment, how would these people go about coming to the US legally? From what I know, they wouldn't qualify for an application for permanent residency or even temporary residency. It's not as easy as just getting in line, you have to have a valid reason. If I'm mistaken, please let me know under what rule they would be allowed to enter the country besides family ties.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:26 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
What about the ones who have been waiting to become legal. My brother knows someone who's been trying to become legal for years. She was so close, guess what?

They lost all her paperwork when 911 occured in NY. Now she's back to square one.

It's sad....

Old 05-31-2007, 09:29 PM

[quote=Torn2pieces;807234]What about the ones who have been waiting to become legal. My brother knows someone who's been trying to become legal for years. She was so close, guess what?

They lost all her paperwork when 911 occured in NY. Now she's back to square one.

It's sad....[/QUOTE
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

The sad part is that this particular person happens to be following the rules for immigration and is getting no where for doing so, meanwhile people are screaming to let those that haven't folllowed the rules stay here instead............sends a clear message if you ask me. "DO THE RIGHT THING AND GET THE SHAFT, BREAK OUR LAWS AND WE'LL KISS YOUR A__"

Old 05-31-2007, 09:45 PM

124 posts, read 303,162 times
Well, I am a legal permanent resident in the USA, since 3 years. Married since 16 years to an US citizen, and having 4 children with him. We lived together in germany for 10 years. When we decided to move the whole family back to my husbands home country it took us 2 years to get all the paperwork done, we needed an affidavid of support, proof of clean criminal records, international birth certificates, proof of paid taxes the last 2 years, we had to show where we have been living in the last 15 years, where we travelled, I mean everything! And it cost us a good amount of money. But it never even crossed our mind entering the US just like that...

Old 05-31-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
When referring to illegal aliens, most people here assume it to be people for Mexico that are here for lower-paying jobs. At the moment, how would these people go about coming to the US legally? From what I know, they wouldn't qualify for an application for permanent residency or even temporary residency. It's not as easy as just getting in line, you have to have a valid reason. If I'm mistaken, please let me know under what rule they would be allowed to enter the country besides family ties.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
I guess many think of Mexicans when they think of illegals however I don't because I worked with illegals from England, Ireland, Mexico, Brazil and India,and China so to me illegal means from ANY country. Maybe quotas are put in place for a reason.......too many unskilled labor just means, in my experience that employers start giving them jobs that should be given to more skilled workers to be able to lower the wage they pay for such workers, they hope for a learn as you go experience for those workers, which often results in more job related accidents and such, for the employer it works out good because they get to pay someone a few $ less than they were before, thus increasing their profits. How many unskilled workers does any country need to welcome, isn't it common sense that any country wouldn't want to over run its social services with those who will be a drain on it and not allow it to properly care for its own citizens? The quotas are put in place to try to keep a balance, and when they were adhered to you didn't have the outcry from the American public that you hear now, the majority of the population welcomed immigration as it was what this country was built on and made for a truly diverse population where most felt they belonged, today the feeling is among many that the place they called home is no longer that, they are feeling over run and over looked in the grand scheme of things and you can't blame them, the blame for this mess is with the elected officials, who are not forced to actually live among the people.........maybe if they were they would change their tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration