U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Reputation: 957

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Yep. How can we be politically correct at a time like this? They should have stopped being politically correct a LONG time ago with illegal immigration. You know we have mayors, congressmen/women who did not act on illegal immigration just because they are afraid of the topic or appearing to be racist or something. Thanks a lot. They've let this issue compound and get progressively worse just because they are afraid of appearing a certain way when they are simply and actually just doing their job. It's like the result of not doing anything about this topic is worse than the talk of discrimination. We know how things happen in the US: people talk about something on a national level, express their anger and then it is dead in a week. However, the effects of illegal immigration if we continue to be politically correct will continue to exist and be far worse for us than the unsupported claims of discrimination.
why would a false claim of discrimination matter so long as your getting the job done...how some view you, should never guide your actions.

Likewise, true discrimination will not further your cause and on the contrary will side America against you...

choose your path and let America decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2010, 07:55 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Many States are passing laws enabling local LE to get more involved. This is good because the Govt continues to sit on their hands about the problems border States are having.
As it is now for many States an Illegal can sneak across and once they are within the boundary of a City they are pretty much hands off unless they raid where they work or do a DL checkpoint. This goes for over stays too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 08:01 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
why would a false claim of discrimination matter so long as your getting the job done...how some view you, should never guide your actions.

Likewise, true discrimination will not further your cause and on the contrary will side America against you...

choose your path and let America decide.
Many white Americans in particular have been conditioned to have "white guilt" so any actions against a minority group including illegal aliens earns them the race card by the opposing side. You are right we shouldn't let that stop us from demanding our immigration laws be enforced but it is going to take some time for white Americans to stop allowing this stupid label to be put on their shoulders eternally as a weapon used to shame us into PC white guilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 08:09 AM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,870,155 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
being illegal is a federal crime, local jurisdiction or cities do not make or enforce laws concerning illegal immigration, they can work with ICE, but, that has to be set up, the local police have to have a 72 hour detention location, very few do. Without that they can't work with ICE.
Police officers take an oath to uphold the the laws of the United States also...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Many white Americans in particular have been conditioned to have "white guilt" so any actions against a minority group including illegal aliens earns them the race card by the opposing side. You are right we shouldn't let that stop us from demanding our immigration laws be enforced but it is going to take some time for white Americans to stop allowing this stupid label to be put on their shoulders eternally as a weapon used to shame us into PC white guilt.
Those illegal alien marches of 2006 drove a stake through my 'White guilt'----------especially when I saw enraged Black Americans denouncing said marches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Arkansas
125 posts, read 180,774 times
Reputation: 92
I, along with a majiority of those that I talk with, are fed up with training against discrimination or profileing orbeing politically correct.
If a person is found to be illegal, they should be put on a bus then and there and shipped back where they came from!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Many States are passing laws enabling local LE to get more involved. This is good because the Govt continues to sit on their hands about the problems border States are having.
As it is now for many States an Illegal can sneak across and once they are within the boundary of a City they are pretty much hands off unless they raid where they work or do a DL checkpoint. This goes for over stays too.
It's called 287(g)

http://www.ice.gov/partners/287g/Section287_g.htm (broken link)

Last edited by mkfarnam; 02-21-2010 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 10:26 AM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
It's called 287g

Partners (http://www.ice.gov/partners/287g/Section287_g.htm - broken link)
I saw in my state only one small county sheriff department had any training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 05:32 PM
 
Location: central Oregon
1,856 posts, read 2,025,508 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Police officers take an oath to uphold the the laws of the United States also...
Thank you!
I have always wondered why someone would say "it's a federal law". Seems to me that every federal law is supposed to be upheld in every part of the country, not just Washington DC. Federal, state and city LE should be upholding ALL laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
Reputation: 369
<<why would a false claim of discrimination matter so long as your getting the job done...how some view you, should never guide your actions.>>

True, but claims of discrimination are frequently followed by lawsuits. No one wants to go to court to defend themselves against charges of discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top