U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2010, 05:06 PM
 
29 posts, read 28,899 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Are you illegally in this country?
no i am not
i am latino, not illegal, mexican american i received refugee status fifteen years ago after the first two years of being in the states as a refugee i was granted citizenship.
what i mean to suggest is that latinos as minority, whether we are illegal or legal; are still subjected to discrimination despite some people's claims that political correctness portects us from being discriminated against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
 
29 posts, read 28,899 times
Reputation: 15
[quote=Benicar;13085228]C’mon, think. How can you possibly fault passersby for calling the police? And, why are you assuming it was motivated by their ethnicity? It is not the norm to see two people asleep in a store parking lot. I’m sure the person who called the police was concerned, rather than prejudiced. They probably received multiple calls. Perhaps they thought they had overdosed from drugs, or were dead. Perhaps the person suspected a “crime” had been perpetrated against them, thus the “criminal” component.

sorry but none of my family in the car were children
and they were forced out of the car and subjected to being searched as if they had committed a crime. the officer told us that he was checking on a call concerning criminal behavior whether or not the caller or just the police officer was acting on ethnicity, it was still involved. They were treated as if they were criminals the officer threating to call ICE officers if they didn't subject to being searched in this case didn't matter due to the fact that they were not illegal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
[quote=kristobal;13085364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
C’mon, think. How can you possibly fault passersby for calling the police? And, why are you assuming it was motivated by their ethnicity? It is not the norm to see two people asleep in a store parking lot. I’m sure the person who called the police was concerned, rather than prejudiced. They probably received multiple calls. Perhaps they thought they had overdosed from drugs, or were dead. Perhaps the person suspected a “crime” had been perpetrated against them, thus the “criminal” component.

sorry but none of my family in the car were children
and they were forced out of the car and subjected to being searched as if they had committed a crime. the officer told us that he was checking on a call concerning criminal behavior whether or not the caller or just the police officer was acting on ethnicity, it was still involved. They were treated as if they were criminals the officer threating to call ICE officers if they didn't subject to being searched in this case didn't matter due to the fact that they were not illegal
They were exhibiting what some may have perceived as “strange” behavior. Perhaps there is more to this incident than disclosed to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristobal View Post
no i am not
i am latino, not illegal, mexican american i received refugee status fifteen years ago after the first two years of being in the states as a refugee i was granted citizenship.
what i mean to suggest is that latinos as minority, whether we are illegal or legal; are still subjected to discrimination despite some people's claims that political correctness portects us from being discriminated against.
This is about Illegals not Latinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 05:49 PM
 
29 posts, read 28,899 times
Reputation: 15
[quote=Benicar;13085472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristobal View Post

They were exhibiting what some may have perceived as “strange” behavior. Perhaps there is more to this incident than disclosed to you.
no they were not exhibiting any strange behavior they were asleep, i have been to a grocery store plenty of times to see others waiting or sleeping in their car that have not been contacted by the police. and no there was nothing more to this incident than was disclosed to me, the officer treated them as if they were illegal; as if they were trash i know this because i was called on my cell and i came out to talk with the officer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
This is about Illegals not Latinos.

yes i know, but along with the hostility that is directed toward illegals this hostility is also happening to be directed to latinos.
which i feel is an issue worth discussing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristobal View Post
no they were not exhibiting any strange behavior they were asleep, i have been to a grocery store plenty of times to see others waiting or sleeping in their car that have not been contacted by the police. and no there was nothing more to this incident than was disclosed to me, the officer treated them as if they were illegal; as if they were trash i know this because i was called on my cell and i came out to talk with the officer.
I see people frequently waiting, but not sleeping. But, you spoke with them and the officer, I didn’t. If they were treated as illegal aliens, you can blame massive illegal immigration. It’s one of the unfortunate consequences of the failure of our government to enforce our laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Reputation: 4611
[quote=kristobal;13085700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

no they were not exhibiting any strange behavior they were asleep, i have been to a grocery store plenty of times to see others waiting or sleeping in their car that have not been contacted by the police. and no there was nothing more to this incident than was disclosed to me, the officer treated them as if they were illegal; as if they were trash i know this because i was called on my cell and i came out to talk with the officer.




yes i know, but along with the hostility that is directed toward illegals this hostility is also happening to be directed to latinos.
which i feel is an issue worth discussing
It's irrelevant....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 PM
 
29 posts, read 28,899 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
This is about Illegals not Latinos.

[quote=mkfarnam;13086395]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristobal View Post

It's irrelevant....
it's not irrelevant when it is being said that illegal immigrants are being protect by political correctness when latinos in general are being subjected to discrimination. and I'm sorry but you can't argue the fact that latinos don't have anything do with this when illegal immigrants are Latinos hence the reason for mistakes when profiling since the latinos that are legal have ancestors that come from Hispanic countries. (i know this should be common knowledge but you obviously aren't seeing the connection)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristobal View Post
Really? i don't know what world you guys are living in, but as a Latino i don't think political correctness has protected me or any of my family. a call was made to the police of suspected "criminal behavior" when my sister and my cousins fell asleep in their car last week waiting in the walmart parking lot. political correctness is not protecting latinos we are subjected to the same discrimination as any other minority.
Um, hello!?!? most people do not sleep in their cars, they sleep at home. Drunk driving, overdose, fumes, loitering, death..that officer had every right to check. So you are saying political correctness (obviously you have no clue what that is) some how should have avoided this incident? Number one, check your laws. "Welfare check" Secondly, get over it, it's not about race. No matter how you are spinning this, it IS a normal procedure. Stop trying to whine this as way of unacceptance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 08:05 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristobal View Post
no i am not
i am latino, not illegal, mexican american i received refugee status fifteen years ago after the first two years of being in the states as a refugee i was granted citizenship.
what i mean to suggest is that latinos as minority, whether we are illegal or legal; are still subjected to discrimination despite some people's claims that political correctness portects us from being discriminated against.
And I as a white person was discriminated against in the past while applying for a job because I don't speak Spanish. Why would I need to do that when most legal Hispanics are bi-lingual? It is to accomodate illegal aliens who are mostly Spanish speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top