U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:15 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,017,580 times

Advertisements

The only reason we have an immigration problem is our government allows us to have an immigration problem. If we wanted to we could close our borders and ports and effectively enforce our internal labor law as well. The only reason we don't do it is our leaders in Washington don't want us to. So they choose not to with no regard to what's best for our nation or for any regard to what the American people actually want.

As far as the piggyback issue goes, our technological edge is being maintained somewhat on the backs of others. But again, that's by choice. Each year our colleges and universities deliberately choose to admit thousands of foreigners instead of US natives. Colleges have very diverse admissions policies and they deliberately gear their admissions so they have a diverse student body. Which almost always consists of hundreds if not thousands of foreigners at each of our major universities. Again, this is by choice. It's probably not a good idea sense a college education at a major US university is one of the most precious assets this nation has, and by handing them out in what almost amounts to an international lottery sells out our future as a nation. In fact many Indians and Chinese that are the beneficiaries of jobs that were outsourced from the US were educated right here in America. Our colleges are choosing to sell out our country in the name of diversity and our feckless leaders in Washington choose to do nothing about it or show any kind of leadership on the issue at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 01:56 PM

646 posts, read 1,486,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
My point, and the reason it was in P&oC, was more along the lines of whether America can stand on it's on in these fields. I personally don't believe that we are the advanced nation we are because of students training here. It doesn't add up. (And I realize that's a very 'readers digest' version of stretch's comments, and I mean no disrespect. Just not gonna beat this horse here in immigration. It will lead very far OT.)
Agreed. After this post I am bowing out of the thread, as neither my intention nor Alpha's was to debate immigration per se.

The portion that I have bolded above is where I think we differ. What was true 50 years ago is no longer true now. The US used to lead in virtually every field, but the rest of the world has caught up. Much of the brainpower in this country is no longer native born, but foreign. Maybe the best way to describe it is symbiotic. Foreign students, who become researchers and instructors, are taking advantage of the opportunities here (good thing in my opinion), and in turn are contributing to the advancement of this nation by working here.

Remove the foreign students, remove the transfer of technology from other advanced countries, and the US falls far, fast. This is not to say that things could not change, but as they are, technological advancement is not solely a US endeavour.

I have said my piece, and I am out of the immigration forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or