U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 04:40 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO, there's a "dirty little secret" that just about ALL of our elected national leaders won't tell us, which are these items:
- Though here illegally, the economic activity of 10-15M people is substantial and contributes to various tax collections (sales tax, gasoline tax, etc). This is a boost to most cities and states and no one wants to loose that income.
- The mantra of our nation, from Main Street to Wall Street, is that "growth is good" and with the birth rates here a lot lower than 50+ years ago, it's immigration (legal or not) that keeps things growing.
- Business interests of most sorts like the illegals for many reasons, most of these reasons are centered on their own greed, and behind the scenes political pressure and PAC money will be spent to maintain the status quo.
- Rounding up illegals, especially families with children, will appear heartless and cruel, subjecting politicians and our nation to ridicule.
- Back to the growth issue, the nation needs a large influx of young working people to keep the economy going strong. Primary emphasis for getting these illegals into a path to citizenship precisely is so they can pay into the Social Security and Medicare programs and keep these programs from going broke. This is a financial fact of life that really pushes Congress to ignore illegal immigration issues for the most part.

All that being said, look for Congress to enact two things: (1) some sort of path to citizenship; and (2) a major increase in the amount of LEGAL immigration that is allowed. To keep government solvent, new taxpayers have to be found, or taxes here will have to go way up to balance the budget and pay for our programs, as no president or congress is going to turn off Social Security and Medicare. Which alternative do you prefer?
Or borrow a page for Japan and most other First World nations: utilize our exisiting labor forces more efficiently i.e. raising the retirement age to age 70 or higher. More and more countries are shutting off the flow of both legal immigrants as well as illegal aliens-------despite being at ZPG or lower..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:13 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO, there's a "dirty little secret" that just about ALL of our elected national leaders won't tell us, which are these items:
- Though here illegally, the economic activity of 10-15M people is substantial and contributes to various tax collections (sales tax, gasoline tax, etc). This is a boost to most cities and states and no one wants to loose that income.
- The mantra of our nation, from Main Street to Wall Street, is that "growth is good" and with the birth rates here a lot lower than 50+ years ago, it's immigration (legal or not) that keeps things growing.
- Business interests of most sorts like the illegals for many reasons, most of these reasons are centered on their own greed, and behind the scenes political pressure and PAC money will be spent to maintain the status quo.
- Rounding up illegals, especially families with children, will appear heartless and cruel, subjecting politicians and our nation to ridicule.
- Back to the growth issue, the nation needs a large influx of young working people to keep the economy going strong. Primary emphasis for getting these illegals into a path to citizenship precisely is so they can pay into the Social Security and Medicare programs and keep these programs from going broke. This is a financial fact of life that really pushes Congress to ignore illegal immigration issues for the most part.

All that being said, look for Congress to enact two things: (1) some sort of path to citizenship; and (2) a major increase in the amount of LEGAL immigration that is allowed. To keep government solvent, new taxpayers have to be found, or taxes here will have to go way up to balance the budget and pay for our programs, as no president or congress is going to turn off Social Security and Medicare. Which alternative do you prefer?
I agree with a lot of what you post but if illegal immigration was such a great thing why are Nations forced to build walls to keep out the impoverished trying to sneak in? Growth is divided into two sectors, wealth and poverty. We are importing poverty, that is not the "growth" we need as a Nation to sustain itself.

If I don't "make" enough to pay much in taxes how can I be a contributer? If I use more in social services than I give back who benefits? It is not the average sucker, aka tax payer.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:26 PM

2,207 posts, read 3,012,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Our economy continues struggling like never before since the great depression. A great jump start would be by increasing the local production, and increase home sales, both of which would increase significantly by bringing these millions of hard workes into the mainstream economy, they are going to stay here anyway.......
I can't logically see the US deporting 12 million and counting, simply because of the volume of people.

I think if amnesty is passed it could backfire, however. I could imagine riots similar to the 1960s....

Old 04-12-2010, 06:31 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I can't logically see the US deporting 12 million and counting, simply because of the volume of people.

I think if amnesty is passed it could backfire, however. I could imagine riots similar to the 1960s....
I won't argue with you there........

Old 04-12-2010, 06:34 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,256 times
Quote:

When all incentives are removed for them to be here, ie: jobs, social service benefits, etc-they will leave-that is called attrition. And I firmly agree with your last statement. Americans are ticked off big time. My daughter who is a true bleeding heart liberal wants them to secure our borders and illegal immigration stopped with illegal aliens gone since the murder of an American rancher in Texas, Robert Krentz. No Amnesty, attitudes are changing for even those who once strongly supported it.

Last edited by getout; 04-12-2010 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 06:38 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:

I believe it would make the riots of the 60ís look like an Amish luncheon.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I believe it would make the riots of the 60ís look like an Amish luncheon.
Well noted....

Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:

No joke and unlike the Civil Rights Movement of that era; hostility and prejudice is growing against the mostly Hispanic illegal aliens these days. The one thing that concerns me is innocent people (of any race/ethnicity) who look Mestizo getting caught in the crossfire between the extremists of both sides (Mexica Movement, KKK, etc.)

Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I agree with a lot of what you post but if illegal immigration was such a great thing why are Nations forced to build walls to keep out the impoverished trying to sneak in? Growth is divided into two sectors, wealth and poverty. We are importing poverty, that is not the "growth" we need as a Nation to sustain itself.

If I don't "make" enough to pay much in taxes how can I be a contributer? If I use more in social services than I give back who benefits? It is not the average sucker, aka tax payer.
This is a fact many either donít realize, or refuse to acknowledge. This country canít survive off of social security taxes alone. We certainly canít provide WIC, welfare, subsidized housing, prenatal care, etc. from the social security taxes of low-wage earners. We need federal and state revenue to provide not only these services, but also to pay the wages of government employees. Most illegals, just as a large percentage of citizens, will pay ZERO federal/state taxes. Then what?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
No joke and unlike the Civil Rights Movement of that era; hostility and prejudice is growing against the mostly Hispanic illegal aliens these days. The one thing that concerns me is innocent people (of any race/ethnicity) who look Mestizo getting caught in the crossfire between the extremists of both sides (Mexica Movement, KKK, etc.)
It will come to a point where sides will have to be taken.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or