U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,713,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
It will come to a point where sides will have to be taken.....
Point taken; just that people who have a certain 'look' would be in danger----------read that dark skinned Blacks and Nordic Whites/porcelain white skinned Chinese would be 'safest' if the dung hit the fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:24 PM

14,307 posts, read 5,971,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I can't logically see the US deporting 12 million and counting, simply because of the volume of people.

I think if amnesty is passed it could backfire, however. I could imagine riots similar to the 1960s....
They can be forced to self-deport.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:35 AM

12,360 posts, read 7,840,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO, there's a "dirty little secret" that just about ALL of our elected national leaders won't tell us, which are these items:
- Though here illegally, the economic activity of 10-15M people is substantial and contributes to various tax collections (sales tax, gasoline tax, etc). This is a boost to most cities and states and no one wants to loose that income.
- The mantra of our nation, from Main Street to Wall Street, is that "growth is good" and with the birth rates here a lot lower than 50+ years ago, it's immigration (legal or not) that keeps things growing.
- Business interests of most sorts like the illegals for many reasons, most of these reasons are centered on their own greed, and behind the scenes political pressure and PAC money will be spent to maintain the status quo.
- Rounding up illegals, especially families with children, will appear heartless and cruel, subjecting politicians and our nation to ridicule.
- Back to the growth issue, the nation needs a large influx of young working people to keep the economy going strong. Primary emphasis for getting these illegals into a path to citizenship precisely is so they can pay into the Social Security and Medicare programs and keep these programs from going broke. This is a financial fact of life that really pushes Congress to ignore illegal immigration issues for the most part.

All that being said, look for Congress to enact two things: (1) some sort of path to citizenship; and (2) a major increase in the amount of LEGAL immigration that is allowed. To keep government solvent, new taxpayers have to be found, or taxes here will have to go way up to balance the budget and pay for our programs, as no president or congress is going to turn off Social Security and Medicare. Which alternative do you prefer?
it isn't a dirty little secret. everybody knows that the government is currently engaged in extend and pretend. they are willing to trade ruination of the country for short term political gain, just as they did when they let illegal immigrants into the country in big numbers to fuel the housing boom and the stock market ride. trying to find a way to pay for the retirement of all of these illegal immigrants (who HAVEN'T been paying into the system for years and years, like american citizens have) is going to lead to economic disaster down the road, not salvation. it puts yet more weight on an already crippled system.

we already HAVE a pathway to citizenship and decent people ARE using it. there seems to be a group of people, however, who want to take the easy way and unfortunately that is the group that our government seems to be welcoming with open arms.

you left out that government could be downsized and that savings could be applied to grow the private sector, which is the only practical solution, and then we could still deport the illegal immigrants. we have people who want to come into this country the right way, but we won't if we keep on the same financial road that we are on.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:35 AM

3,021 posts, read 2,723,319 times
Quote:
I can't logically see the US deporting 12 million and counting, simply because of the volume of people.

I think if amnesty is passed it could backfire, however. I could imagine riots similar to the 1960s....

I can see the removing of 12 million. It can be done and with the number of police, fed agents, and military personnel, could be done in a month. If ammesty is passed, the riots of the 60's will be looked at as very calm. I can promise you that.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,452,803 times
...because one knows for a fact it can be done in a month...

Old 04-14-2010, 07:27 AM

4,805 posts, read 5,274,778 times
Quote:
...because one knows for a fact it can be done in a month...
I beg to differ.

If ALL illegal immigrants are put in the position of being unable to make a living, if their families are denied any sort of taxpayer funded goodies, and hospitals treat only life threatening emergencies, withholding routine healthcare, I guarantee you that people will leave.

After all, aren't they just "good people just trying to support their families?" If they can't do that here in the U.S., they'll go someplace else.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:12 PM

16 posts, read 1,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They can be forced to self-deport.
This is an interesting thought, but how is this going to happen????

Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,713,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comesijaya View Post
This is an interesting thought, but how is this going to happen????
E-Verify
Demand proof of legal residency here in the USA before any sort of benefits are dispensed (WIC, etc.)
Deny birthright citizenship for Anchor Babies

Old 04-15-2010, 10:23 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,452,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I beg to differ.

If ALL illegal immigrants are put in the position of being unable to make a living, if their families are denied any sort of taxpayer funded goodies, and hospitals treat only life threatening emergencies, withholding routine healthcare, I guarantee you that people will leave.

After all, aren't they just "good people just trying to support their families?" If they can't do that here in the U.S., they'll go someplace else.
Of course you'll need every employers cooperation for this. America can enforce laws on people, but people themselves choose whether or not to follow the laws.

I recognize something (amnesty or force-out, etc.) has to be done, but I still think forcing everyone out is easier said than done. If it were that easy, why wouldn't the US do it sooner? There has to be some reason they're delaying.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:16 AM

4,805 posts, read 5,274,778 times
Quote:
Of course you'll need every employers cooperation for this. America can enforce laws on people, but people themselves choose whether or not to follow the laws.

I recognize something (amnesty or force-out, etc.) has to be done, but I still think forcing everyone out is easier said than done. If it were that easy, why wouldn't the US do it sooner? There has to be some reason they're delaying.
There are several reasons for the delay, among them being:

1. Corporate use of slave labor--big business owns the government and they're not about to assist in the loss of labor which allows them to pad their bottom line.
2. Fear of being perceived as politically incorrect if we actually enforce our laws.

If there were massive penalties for the hiring of illegal aliens, then there would be forced cooperation among employers. Voila! No jobs--no illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration