Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

The irony is that a 'Hispanic' nation is outraged (and rightly so) about being flooded by illegals.Spain is affluent, not poor like Mexico.
Have an interesting twist on this. A couple of years ago, while visiting a national park, encountered a group of Spanish tourists, and spent a few minutes in pleasant conversation with them. Somehow, the talk turned to illegal immigration, and the problems that both nations faced. What was interesting to learn is that Spaniards do not like Mexicans, and tend to regard them with contempt. The group made some sarcastic remarks about the ancestry, morals, and general behavior of Mexicans that was quite nasty, and that I cannot repeat verbatum on this forum. Have since learned that Mexicans do not care much for Spaniards either. So much for the idea of a worldwide Hispanic brotherhood, it does not exist, with apparent animosity between some Hispanic nations.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:54 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Have an interesting twist on this. A couple of years ago, while visiting a national park, encountered a group of Spanish tourists, and spent a few minutes in pleasant conversation with them. Somehow, the talk turned to illegal immigration, and the problems that both nations faced. What was interesting to learn is that Spaniards do not like Mexicans, and tend to regard them with contempt. The group made some sarcastic remarks about the ancestry, morals, and general behavior of Mexicans that was quite nasty, and that I cannot repeat verbatum on this forum. Have since learned that Mexicans do not care much for Spaniards either. So much for the idea of a worldwide Hispanic brotherhood, it does not exist, with apparent animosity between some Hispanic nations.
Who ever thought that Spain was somehow in this brotherhood? I really don't understand this thread at all, this sounds like propaganda or trolling, or just plain myths.

People like to propagate the same myths about Colombians and Cubans not liking Mexicans as to somehow degrade the Mexican society.

Well I am here to tell you that is BS. Why? Because my own Mexican family have inter-married with Cubans, Puerto-Ricans, Colombians, Brazilians ...and yes even the "affluent" white Spaniards that look down on us so badly lol. Sure there are some people that don't like it, but in all seriousness this down casted relationship is about as prevalent as the English looking down on the Scots and Irish.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Who ever thought that Spain was somehow in this brotherhood? I really don't understand this thread at all, this sounds like propaganda or trolling, or just plain myths.

People like to propagate the same myths about Colombians and Cubans not liking Mexicans as to somehow degrade the Mexican society.

Well I am here to tell you that is BS. Why? Because my own Mexican family have inter-married with Cubans, Puerto-Ricans, Colombians, Brazilians ...and yes even the "affluent" white Spaniards that look down on us so badly lol. Sure there are some people that don't like it, but in all seriousness this down casted relationship is about as prevalent as the English looking down on the Scots and Irish.
You have a valid point.
Take Asia for example. There is no sense of brotherhood there. The Japanese and Chinese look down on all other asians as mongrels or a subspecies.
Koreans don't like Chinese or Japanese, main land Chinese think of Taiwan as japans house boys. Everyone looks down on Filipino's and Burmese.
Thats the world for you. Whites. Well Europeans are still trying to figure out that the USA and Canada are not their colonies anymore. Do any Europeans like Hungarians or Romanians? The old Baltic states are still considered the trash of Europe. Call a Scott an Irishman and you might end up in a fight right on the spot.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
what? there is no irony. its a first world country. its european. its mostly white. i dont know if ayone would consider it "hispanic". maybe some misinformed individual. hispnic is a term created in the US. used in the US. otherwise these people are SPANISH. they are white. and there really is no irony about them being mad at illegals. they like many other countries have seen a surge in immigrants from africa. thats old bag. spain is different from italy or france in that not only does it get the muslim and african folks. it also gets tons of dominicans, cubans and other spanish speaking immigrants.

why would it be ironic?
Quote:
Simple.

The irony is that a 'Hispanic' nation is outraged (and rightly so) about being flooded by illegals. Note that it is not a source of illegals trying to overrun the USA, France, etc. Read that Spain is affluent, not poor like Mexico.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
what? there is no irony. its a first world country. its european. its mostly white. i dont know if ayone would consider it "hispanic". maybe some misinformed individual. hispnic is a term created in the US. used in the US. otherwise these people are SPANISH. they are white. and there really is no irony about them being mad at illegals. they like many other countries have seen a surge in immigrants from africa. thats old bag. spain is different from italy or france in that not only does it get the muslim and african folks. it also gets tons of dominicans, cubans and other spanish speaking immigrants.

why would it be ironic?
FYI: White Spaniards and Argentines are just as 'Hispanic' is Mayan Indians (in Mexico) or Black Dominicans.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You have a valid point.
Take Asia for example. There is no sense of brotherhood there. The Japanese and Chinese look down on all other asians as mongrels or a subspecies.
Koreans don't like Chinese or Japanese, main land Chinese think of Taiwan as japans house boys. Everyone looks down on Filipino's and Burmese.
Thats the world for you. Whites. Well Europeans are still trying to figure out that the USA and Canada are not their colonies anymore. Do any Europeans like Hungarians or Romanians? The old Baltic states are still considered the trash of Europe. Call a Scott an Irishman and you might end up in a fight right on the spot.
I may be of 1/2 Hungarian lineage but I sure as hell do not look like one. And; I too have had 'ethnic' run ins with Hungarians; apparently, they take offence to me me not speaking their lingo. Worse to the above chauvinists; the brother of a distant paternal ancestor of mine is to Hungarians what Santa Anna is to Mexicans.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Quite plausible: several 'brown' Mexicans (from Mexico) flat told me that Spaniards tend to be prejudiced against the former. They visited Spain and hated it due to the racism.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:42 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Quite plausible: several 'brown' Mexicans (from Mexico) flat told me that Spaniards tend to be prejudiced against the former. They visited Spain and hated it due to the racism.
So what you and BlackShoe are doing here is calling everyone from Spain discriminatory against brown Mexicans? What is the point of the conversation?

For a forum that doesn't want to concentrate on racism, you folks sure do love propagating issues and myths based on racism...

Old 02-22-2010, 03:06 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
I know several Mexicans who frequently visit Spain and know others who have gone there to study or live and vice-versa and have not heard any of them comment on this. In fact, I think when comparing other countries Spain and Mexico are probably more compatible than other combinations due to sharing a common language.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
try telling that to a spainard. they will flat out reject that designation. they will say they are spanish. hispanic is not a term that is used for spainards. they would def. not be pleased with that designation, since it is a relatively recent and regional term. it was coined in the US, for people in the US. nothing to do with spain. people in spain? they are spanish first (including regional ID). then they are european.

what you are doing is applying a term to a group when it doesnt apply. it might make sense, but it does not apply.

oh and there is still no irony.

Quote:
FYI: White Spaniards and Argentines are just as 'Hispanic' is Mayan Indians (in Mexico) or Black Dominicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration