U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2010, 04:29 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
try telling that to a spainard. they will flat out reject that designation. they will say they are spanish. hispanic is not a term that is used for spainards. they would def. not be pleased with that designation, since it is a relatively recent and regional term. it was coined in the US, for people in the US. nothing to do with spain. people in spain? they are spanish first (including regional ID). then they are european.

what you are doing is applying a term to a group when it doesnt apply. it might make sense, but it does not apply.

oh and there is still no irony.
Spaniard is a nationality. Hispanic is the culture of Spain. Mexicans and other nations whose language is Spanish are also considered Hispanic culturally.

 
Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,093,233 times
Reputation: 2244
nope, "hispanic" was just a census designated term. it was like "spanish surname"

and the culture of spain, is spanish. just like the culture of canada is canadian. yo ucant just lump all these people, groups and countries based on spanish language. thats like saying that brits and aussies and jamaicans are the same culture because they all speak english.

therefore, as an independent culture and nation it is OK for spain to be against illegal immigration. to think they shouldnt, or be suprised that they are is ignorant.

just because they are spanish speaking doesnt mean they would favor illegal immigration. or that its ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Spaniard is a nationality. Hispanic is the culture of Spain. Mexicans and other nations whose language is Spanish are also considered Hispanic culturally.
 
Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
nope, "hispanic" was just a census designated term. it was like "spanish surname"

and the culture of spain, is spanish. just like the culture of canada is canadian. yo ucant just lump all these people, groups and countries based on spanish language. thats like saying that brits and aussies and jamaicans are the same culture because they all speak english.

therefore, as an independent culture and nation it is OK for spain to be against illegal immigration. to think they shouldnt, or be suprised that they are is ignorant.

just because they are spanish speaking doesnt mean they would favor illegal immigration. or that its ironic.
Usage Note: Though often used interchangeably in American English, Hispanic and Latino are not identical terms, and in certain contexts the choice between them can be significant. Hispanic, from the Latin word for "Spain," has the broader reference, potentially encompassing all Spanish-speaking peoples in both hemispheres and emphasizing the common denominator of language among communities that sometimes have little else in common.

So yes, the Spanish language is the common denominator even though as you said there can be wide differences among Spanish speaking nations in other cultural practices.

I am not the one who claimed that Spain should be in favor of illegal immigration. They actually have their own problems with illegal immigration into their own country.
 
Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
So what you and BlackShoe are doing here is calling everyone from Spain discriminatory against brown Mexicans? What is the point of the conversation?

For a forum that doesn't want to concentrate on racism, you folks sure do love propagating issues and myths based on racism...
Take up your argument with said 'brown' Mexicans: I am merely relaying what they told me about 15 years ago.
 
Old 02-22-2010, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
try telling that to a spainard. they will flat out reject that designation. they will say they are spanish. hispanic is not a term that is used for spainards. they would def. not be pleased with that designation, since it is a relatively recent and regional term. it was coined in the US, for people in the US. nothing to do with spain. people in spain? they are spanish first (including regional ID). then they are european.

what you are doing is applying a term to a group when it doesnt apply. it might make sense, but it does not apply.

oh and there is still no irony.
Quote:
HISPANIC ORIGIN

This section contains the code list used to code write-in entries for the Hispanic origin question. A set of three-digit numerical codes was used to identify response boxes for the Hispanic origin categories listed in the Hispanic origin item on the questionnaire. These codes and their respective Hispanic origin categories are: Not Spanish/Hispanic-001, Mexican-002, Puerto Rican-003, Cuban-004, and Other Spanish/Hispanic-005
1995 Test Census: Appendix D - U.S. Census Bureau

Take it up with the Feds: their definition of what a 'Hispanic' person is; not mine.
 
Old 02-22-2010, 06:15 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,093,233 times
Reputation: 2244
so it should be applied in the US. it is for use in the US. nothing to take up really. just providing some informatiuon.
we should be smart enough to know when the usage of a word is appropriate or not.
in reference to spain, hispanic is not appropriate.
hispanic referred to people in the US, who spoke a same language. again it was like "spanish surname". they categorized people based on last name. but this pertained to the US.
we cant apply these labels to other places. it just doesnt work. and it would probably be offensive to those [Spanish]people


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
1995 Test Census: Appendix D - U.S. Census Bureau

Take it up with the Feds: their definition of what a 'Hispanic' person is; not mine.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Yac
 
5,881 posts, read 6,309,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
For a forum that doesn't want to concentrate on racism, you folks sure do love propagating issues and myths based on racism...
This sentence sums up nicely what I wanted to say.
Closed.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top