U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Until the recession, that need was growing fast. In 1997, the number of foreigners living in Spain was just over 500,000; 11 years later it was 5.3 million, out of a total population of 46 million. In 2008, Spain received the highest number of immigrants of any state in the European Union except Italy. Although it has largely managed to avoid the outbreaks 
 of xenophobia and immigrant violence that have erupted in other countries, Spain still struggles to integrate its immigrant population.
Read more: In a Spanish Classroom, a Ray of Hope - Southern Europe's Immigration Test - TIME

Can someone say the shoe is on the other foot? An affluent First World country (Spain) is being overrun by too many immigrants----------many of whom are illegal aliens.

Bottom line: it is not just 'Anglo' societies that have an illegal alien problem.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:40 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,256 times
I've been reading worldwide where illegal aliens are affecting so many countries detrimentally. Fortunately many countries have enacted laws we are just passing. Their efforts are a great precursor to this country's plight, both pro and con.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Read more: In a Spanish Classroom, a Ray of Hope - Southern Europe's Immigration Test - TIME

Can someone say the shoe is on the other foot? An affluent First World country (Spain) is being overrun by too many immigrants----------many of whom are illegal aliens.

Bottom line: it is not just 'Anglo' societies that have an illegal alien problem.
I am confused by your comment here AZ. Who said illegal immigration is just an Anglo society problem?

Many non-Anglo countries have illegal immigration issues: Japan with the Filipinos, Mexico with the Guats, Turkey with immigrants from Pakistan, Morocco, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and India. Greece and Italy as well.

I think it comes down to disparity of neighboring regions, not 1 race or the other.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I think it comes down to disparity of neighboring regions, not 1 race or the other.
Wow. We agree. Thank you.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Wow. We agree. Thank you.
I thought that was the consensus. I don't understand AZBear comments at all, please come back and elaborate on what you meant.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I thought that was the consensus. I don't understand AZBear comments at all, please come back and elaborate on what you meant.
Simple.

Many 'American' pro illegal advocacy groups are indeed in favor of Mexicans/Central Americans having unfettered access to the USA---------even if illegally.

The irony is that a 'Hispanic' nation is outraged (and rightly so) about being flooded by illegals. Note that it is not a source of illegals trying to overrun the USA, France, etc. Read that Spain is affluent, not poor like Mexico.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Simple.

Many 'American' pro illegal advocacy groups are indeed in favor of Mexicans/Central Americans having unfettered access to the USA---------even if illegally.

The irony is that a 'Hispanic' nation is outraged (and rightly so) about being flooded by illegals. Note that it is not a source of illegals trying to overrun the USA, France, etc. Read that Spain is affluent, not poor like Mexico.
Wouldn't Mexico being overrun by Guatemalans be even a more relevant example of this irony you speak of?

I am still confused by your OP, who has said this is just an Anglo problem?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't Mexico being overrun by Guatemalans be even a more relevant example of this irony you speak of?

I am still confused by your OP, who has said this is just an Anglo problem?
Not really.

Mexico and Guatemala are not that far apart culturally and economically whereas Spain and northern Africa are light years apart. Hell: Mexico is closer to the USA than the latter two locales are to one another.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 AM

5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
It's basically the same deal in Spain. There are movies about African immigration to Spain, it is a major political issue, stories about it are consistently being published by media sources, etc. It's a very comparable situation to the illegal immigration issue in the United States.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,657,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
It's basically the same deal in Spain. There are movies about African immigration to Spain, it is a major political issue, stories about it are consistently being published by media sources, etc. It's a very comparable situation to the illegal immigration issue in the United States.
Article and pics here

African Immigration to Europe - The Big Picture - Boston.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration