Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:55 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times

Advertisements

so what were you saying about my "reading comprehensive interpretation "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
Yes, I'm afraid getout is incorrect in his assumptions - the teachers that will be retained ahead of others are those with certifications to teach those students/classes for which English is not their primary language..........now whether that is fair or not is a whole other argument

Old 02-22-2010, 04:03 PM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
On a side note, the City of SD just fired 48 interpreters (Liasons) for the mostly Spanish speaking enclaves. At over 50k a year the City has just saved a ton of money by ending this wasteful expense.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:19 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
so what were you saying about my "reading comprehensive interpretation "

I am saying, again, that if you have a problem understanding the comprehension of said article, that's your fault although the author could have made it more clear for those who have trouble comprehending...I have no trouble understanding it.

I am very happy they are getting rid of the wasteful practice of bilingual teaching by putting true English teaching first, to those who have comprehensive ability to understand it.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 PM

i would agree. but in the case of legal proceedings it would be important to have interpretors. that can later work against us. kinda like not offering consular access to foreigners aprehended on US soil.

im sure they didnt eliminate ALL interpretors. so its ok. those who need interpretation can find that on their own, or just wait to work with the few int that exist. maybe while they wait they can learn english

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
On a side note, the City of SD just fired 48 interpreters (Liasons) for the mostly Spanish speaking enclaves. At over 50k a year the City has just saved a ton of money by ending this wasteful expense.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:20 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Good! If someone is here in this country whether they be here legally or illegally they shouldn't expect to be accomodated in their native language either in the government sector or in our schools paid for by the taxpayer.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 PM

english learners are children (k-12) who are learning. they are being helped with learning english. it helps in the long run. there are varying levels of EL's (as i came to learn once i gathered information in order to let getout have it.) they test them and according to their language proficiency they put them in classes where they will be better served. i dont want a bunch of english learners slowing my kids down. i dont have a problem with these teachers. soon enough the kids should test out of EL classess. well thats the plan of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Good! If someone is here in this country whether they be here legally or illegally they shouldn't expect to be accomodated in their native language either in the government sector or in our schools paid for by the taxpayer.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:26 PM

obviously you do have trouble.

they are SAVING bilingual certified teachers.

im done. you really dont get it.

anyone else want to connect the dots for our friend here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I am saying, again, that if you have a problem understanding the comprehension of said article, that's your fault although the author could have made it more clear for those who have trouble comprehending...I have no trouble understanding it.

I am very happy they are getting rid of the wasteful practice of bilingual teaching by putting true English teaching first, to those who have comprehensive ability to understand it.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:27 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
english learners are children (k-12) who are learning. they are being helped with learning english. it helps in the long run. there are varying levels of EL's (as i have came to learn once i gathered information in order to let getout have it.) they test them and according to their language proficiency they put them in classes where they will be better served. i dont want a bunch of english learners slowing my kids down. i dont have a problem with these teachers. soon enough the kids should test out of EL classess. well thats the plan of course.
I know what "English learners" means and yes I think that English immersion is the best course. But I still object to spreading our resources teaching them English at our expense either way when most of them are illegal aliens and shouldn't even be in our schools.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:29 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,167 times
Quote:

obviously you do have trouble.

they are SAVING bilingual certified teachers.

im done. you really dont get it.
Wrong.

Unbelievable.... Again, I am so happy to end this waste of taxpayers money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration