U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:23 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,256 times

Advertisements

Tracy Press - Dozens of full timers on TUSD s layoff list

Quote:
Teachers certified to teach “English learners” will be saved before those who aren’t — about a quarter of the district’s students speak English as their second language.
All I have to say is.... and
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,066,563 times
im confused...

you are happy that teachers are being fired?
or happy that teachers who teach english learners (aka bilingual ed) are being given priority over regular teachers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post

Old 02-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
im confused...

or happy that teachers who teach english learners (aka bilingual ed) are being given priority over regular teachers?

I'll clear up the confusion for you: That list individually names the administrator and teachers of bilingual classes to name some. "English learners" are those who already speak English and need to learn the foundations of their native language, English, properly, you know, normal teaching versus trying to teach a foreign language. Those days are numbered. And yes, i am happy the costs are being cut for a ridiculous wasteful practice.

But I recognize your twisted interpretation of the article, I'm used to it by now and am ready to help you understand anytime...

Old 02-22-2010, 02:42 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,025,067 times
Quote:
im confused...

I have to admit that I am really confused too.

I took that one sentence to mean that those who teach students who speak English as a second language will be given preference over teachers who don't teach foreign language speaking students. (wait, you already said that.)

Overall, the firing of unnecessary personal is always a wise way to save money.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:23 PM

several people were named in the firing process. including "an assistant superintendent, the coordinator of health services" etc. they are downsizing. but i think you misunderstood the part about teachers who teach english learners.

its not a twisting interpretation.
its reading comprehension.

english learners is another term for esl, eld, etc etc. it refers to students who speak a language other than english at home. there are english learners [EL's], and the rest of the population which is "english proficient". those who teach english learners are being saved hence the quote (and corresponding statistic):

"Teachers certified to teach “English learners” will be saved before those who aren’t — about a quarter of the district’s students speak English as their second language."

some one correct me if im wrong.

Quote:
I'll clear up the confusion for you: That list individually names the administrator and teachers of bilingual classes to name some. "English learners" are those who already speak English and need to learn the foundations of their native language, English, properly, you know, normal teaching versus trying to teach a foreign language. Those days are numbered. And yes, i am happy the costs are being cut for a ridiculous wasteful practice.

But I recognize your twisted interpretation of the article, I'm used to it by now and am ready to help you understand anytime...

Old 02-22-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
several people were named in the firing process. including "an assistant superintendent, the coordinator of health services" etc. they are downsizing. but i think you misunderstood the part about teachers who teach english learners.

its not a twisting interpretation.
its reading comprehension.

english learners is another term for esl, eld, etc etc. it refers to students who speak a language other than english at home. there are english learners [EL's], and the rest of the population which is "english proficient". those who teach english learners are being saved hence the quote (and corresponding statistic):

"Teachers certified to teach “English learners” will be saved before those who aren’tabout a quarter of the district’s students speak English as their second language." Too bad, teachers for bilingual interpretaions will go..

some one correct me if im wrong.
That list individually names the administrator of bilingual classes, an assistant superintendent, the coordinator of health services, seven directors, two other managers, 12 assistant principals and 18 principals.
But not limited to.

Your reading comprehensive interpretation of "English learners" is incorrect although I do believe the author could have made it clearer for those who have trouble understanding it.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:46 PM

according to

English Learners
in California
Schools
• • •
Christopher Jepsen
Shelley de Alth

"Students who speak a language other than English at home and who
are not proficient in English are known as English learners (ELs)."

Quote:
That list individually names the administrator of bilingual classes, an assistant superintendent, the coordinator of health services, seven directors, two other managers, 12 assistant principals and 18 principals.
But not limited to.

Your reading comprehensive interpretation of "English learners" is incorrect although I do believe the author could have made it clearer for those who have trouble understanding it.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:48 PM

wait theres more...
from the CA dept of Ed

Reclassification"
Information on how a district determines whether or not an English Learner student has sufficient English proficiency to be reclassified as a fluent English speaker.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:49 PM

1. Who is identified as an EL?

An EL is a K-12 student who, based on objective assessment, has not developed listening, speaking, reading, and writing proficiencies in English sufficient for participation in the regular school program. These students are sometimes referred to as Limited English Proficient (LEP). The process for identification is described in the California English Language Development Test (CELDT) Assistance Packet for School Districts at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/el/assistancepkt.asp (broken link).

Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 PM

RAND California - English Learner Students

RAND California's English Learner Statistics reports the number of enrolled English Learner students (formerly called Limited English Proficiency. or LEP) at a specified grade level. The data are reported for various languages, the state, counties, districts and schools. Data reported reflect student counts in March of each year. The source for these data is the California Department of Education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or