U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Well, I guess that about sums it up..another great post Benicar and thank you for being so well informed, articulate and mature on this matter.
Why thank you. And, true to this forum decorum. . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:51 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,086,580 times
Except that it neglected the social history of Mexico, when she made assumptions about citizens not demanding things of their gov't. Other than glaring gaps in information, it was an okay post. Grammatically speaking that is, other than that not so much.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,141,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why thank you. And, true to this forum decorum. . . .
Off topic but I agree, been poking around other forums and am appalled at how truly ignorant people can be. One was a hispanic (self admitted after he was "caught") posing as a black slinging racial slurs against whites to try and incite division between the two. Pathetic attempt at divide and conquer. Anyway, I've given kudos to the Mods for keeping this forum as mature and reasonable as possible. Of course we do have our "few".....

Hopefully there will be swift change allowing all of us to get on with our lives in continuing to produce a better nation.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Off topic but I agree, been poking around other forums and am appalled at how truly ignorant people can be. One was a hispanic (self admitted after he was "caught") posing as a black slinging racial slurs against whites to try and incite division between the two. Pathetic attempt at divide and conquer. Anyway, I've given kudos to the Mods for keeping this forum as mature and reasonable as possible. Of course we do have our "few".....

Hopefully there will be swift change allowing all of us to get on with our lives in continuing to produce a better nation.
Amen to that!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Amen to that!
I have a question, how do you rectify the marches, strikes, and student organizations that strive for change in Mexico with the assumption that nobody is doing anything? Also, how do you rectify the fact that a majority of European immigrants coming here at the turn of the last century were uneducated...yet by the 1950s we solidified ourselves as a super-power? What about the facts when presented that the majority of immigrants (both legal and illegal) speak English by second generation (following trends as European immigrants). What facts do you have to support that illegal immigrants take away jobs? What facts do you have to support the claim of wage depression? What facts do you have immigration is shrinking the middle class (what about automation and a total restructuring of the economy to service economy?)

When you personalize an issue without facts and base them on stereotypes, then it's easy to pat yourself on the back.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:51 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Except that it neglected the social history of Mexico, when she made assumptions about citizens not demanding things of their gov't. Other than glaring gaps in information, it was an okay post. Grammatically speaking that is, other than that not so much.
Try again.

If American Blacks can advance from full on Jim Crow to a having man who is 1/2 Black in the White House within 2 generations; what prevents Mexicans in Mexico from doing that same thing---------especially being that the majority of the people SoB are 'of color'?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Try again.

If American Blacks can advance from full on Jim Crow to a having man who is 1/2 Black in the White House within 2 generations; what prevents Mexicans in Mexico from doing that same thing---------especially being that the majority of the people SoB are 'of color'?
Learn history. Read the post. Right because it's "only" been two generations. Because before Jim Crow there was no slavery. Also because Obama is in the office that means that there is no more racism...

What are you talking about half the time?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Try again.

Also what does this have to do with my post?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I have a question, how do you rectify the marches, strikes, and student organizations that strive for change in Mexico with the assumption that nobody is doing anything? Also, how do you rectify the fact that a majority of European immigrants coming here at the turn of the last century were uneducated...yet by the 1950s we solidified ourselves as a super-power? What about the facts when presented that the majority of immigrants (both legal and illegal) speak English by second generation (following trends as European immigrants). What facts do you have to support that illegal immigrants take away jobs? What facts do you have to support the claim of wage depression? What facts do you have immigration is shrinking the middle class (what about automation and a total restructuring of the economy to service economy?)

When you personalize an issue without facts and base them on stereotypes, then it's easy to pat yourself on the back.
Just questions that everybody needs to ask in order to actually take the advice or not.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:

When did they have their last march, and are illegals in this country involved? If they are serious, they should be working on both sides of the border. We have numerous Hispanic advocacy groups in this country. Are they involved with the movements in Mexico? If not, why? You canít exact long-term change with a handful of part-time student advocates. Real change is accomplished by those willing to remain steadfast until the objectives are met, even if it requires enduring physical harm or death.

Yes, many Europeans were uneducated. However, they had the permission of our government to be here, and they expected nothing but an opportunity. They did not have the option of either working, or receiving government assistance. It was either sink or swim. Likewise, Mexican immigrants of the past were much more appreciative of the opportunities available in this country, and they had a desire to become contributing members of this society. This included assimilation, which they accomplished because they had the will. They also did not exhibit the arrogance and sense of entitlement prevalent among Mexican illegal aliens. Times have changed, and the attitudes of illegal aliens have changed as well. Their in-your-face attitude, and their disrespectful behavior, does not endear them to many.

English language proficiency is not the issue. Although illegal aliens understandably feel no urgency to learn our language. Why should they, when Spanish is so readily available? I have a friend who is an immigrant from Bolivia, who knew not one word of English prior to entering this country (legally). Now, she is fluent. No one accommodated her. She learned the language through hard work and sheer determination.

I personally know small business owners who were forced to close because they refused to violate our laws by employing illegal aliens. They simply couldnít compete. I also personally know construction contractors who are now bankrupt, again, because they couldnít compete unless they employed illegal aliens. And no, the media did not cover their stories, and you wonít find their names listed under illegal immigration statistics. But it is real. I have also read countless articles involving citizens now unemployed due to illegal immigration, or those now employed because a business was raided and illegals were fired.

It isnít easy locating credible info. I have searched and found several articles, but most were reported by organizations some would consider biased due to their anti-illegal stance. However, the problem is real, and if you speak with actual citizens, you will learn that many are suffering as a direct result of illegal immigration. Do they have tangible evidence? Probably not.

Citizens are hurting, and as a citizen of this country, I simply canít ignore it for the sake of political correctness, or to avoid being labeled a hater. I refuse to compromise my integrity by supporting something I believe is wrong. I donít hate illegal aliens, and I wish them no harm, but I canít endorse their cause.

It isnít personal. It never was.

Firefighters Lose Jobs for Not Speaking Spanish | Drudge Retort

Protest at Anderson fire station construction site enters second day Ľ Anderson Independent Mail

Union members protest at hotel construction site that employed undocumented workers | ksdk.com | St. Louis, MO

Activists protest Maxine Waters over illegal immigration; NAACP

Black workers cheer factory immigration raid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or