U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2010, 06:56 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Reputation: 822

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It's a no brainer, isn't it?
Well, of course you extrapolate things. Oh, my African friend (from Equitorial Guinea) says hi, his last name is Vargas. In case you try to go beyond the words written, he contains no Spanish blood and speaks French. After all you can tell ethnicity from internet forums from last names.

Sorry, but what happens in here is simply a jump to conclusions with asking for clarification.

BTW Roguer, it's not mincing words if the words are plainly stated and clarification has been provided. It's called a lack of reading comprehension when the other party simply doesn't understand after several posts.

 
Old 02-24-2010, 06:58 PM
 
Location: central Oregon
1,856 posts, read 2,025,067 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Some are quite affluent cities that contribute greatly to this nation. Some need funding for its citizens. Why defund any city? Sometimes illegal immigrants have indeed aided in their municipalities. Greg Thompson pointed out stories of rural Alabama where the increased population and commerce of illegal immigrants help stem the rural out migration and increased city revenues. There are plenty of Postvilles in this nation, and for that we need to find a way to integrate current illegal immigrants, as well as find measures to shift migration from illegal to legal. To encourage legal behaviors while discouraging illegal behaviors. If you don't encourage legal migration at this current level, then you will only continue to perpetuate the black market type of immigration that many vehemently write about on this board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Good job, again...now maybe we can work on reading comprehension...
My reading comprehension is JUST FINE, thank you! I posted on the highlighted sentences in which you say "we need to integrate illegal immigrants".

I was just pointing out to ALL that you ARE for amnesty no matter how you word it.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Some are quite affluent cities that contribute greatly to this nation. Some need funding for its citizens. Why defund any city? Sometimes illegal immigrants have indeed aided in their municipalities. Greg Thompson pointed out stories of rural Alabama where the increased population and commerce of illegal immigrants help stem the rural out migration and increased city revenues. There are plenty of Postvilles in this nation, and for that we need to find a way to integrate current illegal immigrants, as well as find measures to shift migration from illegal to legal. To encourage legal behaviors while discouraging illegal behaviors. If you don't encourage legal migration at this current level, then you will only continue to perpetuate the black market type of immigration that many vehemently write about on this board.
I see that you are indeed pro amnesty.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
 
Location: central Oregon
1,856 posts, read 2,025,067 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
So if a family learnt English, paid taxes, participated in community events...but were illegal, would they not be integrated in said community? Do you understand that integration doesn't have to mean amnesty. Amnesty has a completely different meaning. With your mastery of a dictionary, hopefully you can figure it out...
Well DUH! Of course I KNOW what integration is even without the damn dictionary. I posted the definition for your benefit.
You are looking to integrate the illegals here - what, you want to keep them illegal?
I don't care if they learn perfect English, pay out the rear in taxes and participate in every community event and are so beloved by their neighbors. If here illegally they need to LEAVE not become integrated into our society.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I see that you are indeed pro amnesty.
Let's go with this logically...

There are several possibilities to integrate, yet not have amnesty.

1) You could give a criminal sentence, misdemeanor, and serve no jail time (that's not amnesty).

2) You could subject people to several civil suits (again, not amnesty).

3) You could continue with the status quo (not amnesty).

Again, where did I state amnesty? I simply stated that it shouldn't be ruled out. I stated that I would have to see more data to make such a statement.

Integration is not the same as amnesty. Look it up in the dictionary.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 PM
 
Location: central Oregon
1,856 posts, read 2,025,067 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Well, of course you extrapolate things. Oh, my African friend (from Equitorial Guinea) says hi, his last name is Vargas. In case you try to go beyond the words written, he contains no Spanish blood and speaks French. After all you can tell ethnicity from internet forums from last names.

Sorry, but what happens in here is simply a jump to conclusions with asking for clarification.

BTW Roguer, it's not mincing words if the words are plainly stated and clarification has been provided. It's called a lack of reading comprehension when the other party simply doesn't understand after several posts.
What is it called when everyone else sees the same meaning and the poster doesn't? Why are we always the ones who have reading comprehension problems, while you are always (so you think) right?
Call it whatever you want, you are for amnesty if you want the illegals to stay.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:10 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Reputation: 822
Well DUH! Of course I KNOW what integration is even without the damn dictionary. I posted the definition for your benefit.
You are looking to integrate the illegals here - what, you want to keep them illegal?

Well, apparently not. You confused amnesty with integration. Read the posts. Pretty much I stated that we would need better data to actually draw a conclusion. Hence why I was careful to not include the word amnesty. Hence why I stuck with integration, something that both sides can agree on.

I don't care if they learn perfect English, pay out the rear in taxes and participate in every community event and are so beloved by their neighbors. If here illegally they need to LEAVE not become integrated into our society.

Many on this board state that English proficiency and taxes are quite important to them. I'd have to look up if you wrote something to that effect as well. Regardless, read the words and don't extrapolate.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:12 PM
 
Location: central Oregon
1,856 posts, read 2,025,067 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Integration is not the same as amnesty. Look it up in the dictionary.
  1. To admit (a racial or ethnic group) to equal membership in an institution or society.
This is but one of the definitions listed above. To integrate the illegals would be to give them equal membership into our society. And that is WRONG, for illegals are in no way equal to a citizen of the US.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:13 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Reputation: 822
What is it called when everyone else sees the same meaning and the poster doesn't? Why are we always the ones who have reading comprehension problems, while you are always (so you think) right?

You mean the 3 highly biased, same sided, wanting the same conclusion posters? That's called group think. Might want to open that dictionary to look it up. Not always right, just simply know when to fight my battles.

Call it whatever you want, you are for amnesty if you want the illegals to stay

Is somebody else typing for you? The reason I ask is because it might be hard to type when it's hard to read the words written...
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
  1. To admit (a racial or ethnic group) to equal membership in an institution or society
This is but one of the definitions listed above. To integrate the illegals would be to give them equal membership into our society. And that is WRONG, for illegals are in no way equal to a citizen of the US.
Amnesty: A pardon for offenses.

That's not the same term. I simply stated that amnesty MAY be one of several approaches. I stated that we would have to look at the data. Of course you didn't read that part (along with the other two). Go GROUP THINK!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top