U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2007, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 13,388,844 times
Reputation: 802

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Generally I would agree with you in regards to the distancing by Bush with respect to the GOP base- what's somewhat astonishing is the large support this has by both sides of isle. I don't know if it's fear of alienating the potential new voting citzens that will come about, some back room deal, etc.- I would have expected to be highly partisan but it seems like a big kumbaya fest. That's what's given reason for pause- I wonder what's really going on that we're not hearing.

I personally don't know of any conservatives in Bush's corner over this bill. I do however know some liberals that back it.

 
Old 06-02-2007, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman Area
1,431 posts, read 3,570,540 times
Reputation: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Ask the Native Americans who the real illegal immigrants are on this continent. And most white Europeans sure didn't learn to speak their languages. History does repeat itself. Ironically, as posted earlier, many of these illegals from Mexico are of native descent. I'm not saying I agree with illegal immigration because I don't; I am just pointing something out that many people of waspy decent often seem to forget or just don't know.
Im guessing you mean "waspy descent". What is that?
 
Old 06-02-2007, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman Area
1,431 posts, read 3,570,540 times
Reputation: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
This immigration reform is not amnesty! It will take them years to become citizens and they will have to jump through allot of hoops to get there. There are plenty of Irish Americans that are really in favor of this reform. Should we just kick all of them out because the didn't go through proper channels to start with? We all know that the current immigration laws are not fare! How much easier is it to get in if your from Europe instead of say Haiti or Mexico? I know I am not the only person on this forum to see this. Why can't people see it?
You are kidding right? Have you tried to immigrate to the US from Europe? Where do you come up with these 'facts'?
 
Old 06-02-2007, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
367 posts, read 913,197 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
You are kidding right? Have you tried to immigrate to the US from Europe? Where do you come up with these 'facts'?
OK lets stop beating a dead horse. Anybody who thinks that there is not RACIAL inequity in our current imigration practices is blind or just kidding themselves.
 
Old 06-02-2007, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman Area
1,431 posts, read 3,570,540 times
Reputation: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
No sir you mis-quoted me. I said there are plenty of white people that do, not that they are the only ones. I just want immigration to be fair. Not just let in folks from Europe, and discriminate against folks because they are from poor countries. I am a Systems Analyst if you must know. I went to college for 6 years and I refuse to pay someone a salary I had to go to college for 6 years to obtain, to do work that someone else will do well for a fair price. Too many folks out there want to live high on the hog, but didn't want to put in the years of education to get there. I despise labor unions or any other type interference that forces folks to pay more than what a job is worth.
In one post, you say you would hire anyone who would work hard here for a fair price. You say you are a systems analyst. I dont see the connection here to illegal aliens. But as someone who has worked in a job that once paid well, with benefits, and has watched as the wages stagnated, and the benefits go away, due to the hiring of illegals, I have been affected by this. You seem to have not.

Let me guess you make a decent salary, good enough to live away from having illegal aliens for neighbors, wild parties every Sunday, loud music, parking on the lawn and blocking your driveway. On the Rush Limbaugh show last week, Rush had a story of liberal minded people living in the state of Washington who had flip flopped on this issue. Once staunch supporters of illegals did an about face and now have all but joined the Minuteman as they have seen their neighborhoods overrun by the illegal alien invasion. A first hand experience will change your views on lots of issues.
 
Old 06-02-2007, 09:01 PM
MB2
 
Location: Sebastian/ FL
3,496 posts, read 8,562,567 times
Reputation: 2688
Originally Posted by sstarrx3
This immigration reform is not amnesty! It will take them years to become citizens and they will have to jump through allot of hoops to get there. There are plenty of Irish Americans that are really in favor of this reform. Should we just kick all of them out because the didn't go through proper channels to start with? We all know that the current immigration laws are not fare! How much easier is it to get in if your from Europe instead of say Haiti or Mexico? I know I am not the only person on this forum to see this. Why can't people see it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
You are kidding right? Have you tried to immigrate to the US from Europe? Where do you come up with these 'facts'?
Yes, he MUST be kidding!!
It took me quiet a bit to get into this country, and I was MARRIED to a US soldier!!!
Another friend of mine, also from germany, was married to a US soldier as well, and almost DEPORTED, because the US Army didn't file the proper paperwork, and "lost" some in the process as well......
Boy, that was a last minute type deal, and an emergency court hearing....and her husband almost became a "defectant", "deserter"....whatever you want to call it, over this mess up!
Shame on the people, who are trying to do it the right and proper way???

Last edited by MB2; 06-02-2007 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: add on
 
Old 06-02-2007, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman Area
1,431 posts, read 3,570,540 times
Reputation: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
OK lets stop beating a dead horse. Anybody who thinks that there is not RACIAL inequity in our current imigration practices is blind or just kidding themselves.
Maybe you are right. If anything, the flood gates from everywhere in the world BUT Central and South America should be opened to give everyone else a fair shot.
 
Old 06-02-2007, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
367 posts, read 913,197 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
So how am I responsible for what happened hundreds of years ago? How is anyone?

Seems as though you are saying its ok for illegals to trespass in our country because of something that happened centuries ago. By the way, the territory was won in a war, and America purchased the rest from Mexico at a price Mexico agreed to. Do you really think the land would be some paradise if Mexico had kept it? No, the illegals would just be crossing back into the US at a border farther north.
OH, we won and took it in a war, that makes it ok! Heck lets go get New Zealand! It is really pretty down there and nice Fly Fishing. They probably won't put up much a fight, and Hey, they already speak the Queens English! Oh Joy!
 
Old 06-02-2007, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman Area
1,431 posts, read 3,570,540 times
Reputation: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
OH, we won and took it in a war, that makes it ok! Heck lets go get New Zealand! It is really pretty down there and nice Fly Fishing. They probably won't put up much a fight, and Hey, they already speak the Queens English! Oh Joy!
Get over it, my gosh. Who said anything about taking over New Zealand? You are out of an argument.
 
Old 06-02-2007, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 13,388,844 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
This immigration reform is not amnesty! It will take them years to become citizens and they will have to jump through allot of hoops to get there. There are plenty of Irish Americans that are really in favor of this reform. Should we just kick all of them out because the didn't go through proper channels to start with? We all know that the current immigration laws are not fare! How much easier is it to get in if your from Europe instead of say Haiti or Mexico? I know I am not the only person on this forum to see this. Why can't people see it?

No I agree it's not Amnesty it's called Shamesty, they are pulling the wool over your eyes if you think these people are going to jump through hoops for anyone. It is the American citizens that will be jumping through hoops for these new comers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top