U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:50 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,138,677 times

Advertisements

I also would like to add, when severe weather occurs, causing major damage to crops and the price skyrockets, we pay and then we move on. AG needs to REALLY learn to adjust to the changing world and market. Learn to live with cutbacks. Many larger "farms" were what got you into this mess anyway by hiring illegals to do the work at slave wages. Those days are over or will be soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 03:20 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
You are wrong, now, you have every right to believe what you wish, I cannot alter that, but persisting in a line of thinking, completely outside the bounds of ones experience is not the greatest thing to do.

If you think I am wrong, explain why.
While you are there, tell me why there are no black or white Americans working in the California produce fields?
Just what am I wrong about? If worse comes to worse we can grow vegetables in our own backyards. I already have a lemon, apple and orange tree in my yard. Planting tomatoes, carrots and other vege's wouldn't be a problem for me.

Picking crops is hard work bending over in the hot sun all day and most Americans cannot survive on the wages it pays and lack of benefits. Not to mention that it is seasonal work for the most part. I would think you'd know that without asking.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:17 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,721,522 times
Quote:
Just what am I wrong about? If worse comes to worse we can grow vegetables in our own backyards. I already have a lemon, apple and orange tree in my yard. Planting tomatoes, carrots and other vege's wouldn't be a problem for me.

300 million Americans need and want fresh produce year round. 300 million Americans cannot grow enough produce to feed the nation year round. You can run some stats to see how much land is needed to feed one person for one year. Gardening, while a pleasant hobby for some will not feed the nation. Large commercial farms are needed.

Picking crops is hard work bending over in the hot sun all day and most Americans cannot survive on the wages it pays and lack of benefits.

The wages are not great, but they are not bad. Minimum wage for stoop labor at a minimum. For piece work, which is really the best way to pay, cuts down on down time, a field worker can make as I have said repeatedly $20-30 an hour, that is a 10 hour day, six days a week when the work is there, even at minimum wage that is roughly $480 a week, $1920 a month, considering that often both parents are working, $4,000 a month is not slave wages. Health Benefits are often available, workmen's comp is required. State inspectors monitor the field conditions and require a certain level of sanitary facilities, an employer can be fined $800.00 for a missing screen in a portapottie, wash stands are located at each toilet facility, workers are required to wash hands before handling produce.

Some places it may be working in the hot sun, but not in the prime agricultural valleys of coastal CA. Cold and wind is the enemy most of the year.

Not to mention that it is seasonal work for the most part. I would think you'd know that without asking.

Your snarky last sentence was not a good idea. your penultimate sentence was wrong, which makes your ultimate sentence make you look like you have no idea what you are talking about.

The coastal valleys are in crop year round, we can grow three crops a year, and by staggering the crop planting we insure that you have fresh produce year round. Please get educated on the subject, if you want to sound like you are knowledgeable. There is not a time of year when any American goes into a supermarket and does not find fresh American grown fruits and vegetables.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:19 PM

No matter how you try to defend it there is no justification for hiring illegal aiens. It is against the law. End of story.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
No matter how you try to defend it there is no justification for hiring illegal aiens. It is against the law. End of story.
I don't get it, don't you read my posts? I have stated many times that when a prospective employee walks into a contractor's office looking for a job, their papers are in order.

Please read that, and remember that before you make another comment about the "criminals". and if you have exceeded the speed limit, well, you are a criminal too.

Now, again, as I have stated, contractors do not have time or resources to research the legality of the thousands that are hired. They usually have an office with a secretary. So, here is what you can do to prevent the submersion of American culture in the Tsunami of little brown people. Volunteer at your nearest labor contractor to research the documentation of the workers. Each illegal you find, you can contact ICE.

By doing this, you are going to save America. Please let us know how that goes.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:54 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Absolutely. Despite their best efforts, there is simply no defense for the indefensible.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,026,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely. Despite their best efforts, there is simply no defense for the indefensible.
The excuses for doing so keep getting funnier and funnier.
Farmers (growers) don't hire illegals...
contractors do.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 PM

Tulani, do try and keep up. Read back through my posts on the subject, get yourself up to speed.
To call my post "funnier and funnier" is to show no knowledge of the subject, that is curable.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:41 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,138,677 times
Quote:
Tulani, do try and keep up. Read back through my posts on the subject, get yourself up to speed.
To call my post "funnier and funnier" is to show no knowledge of the subject, that is curable.
Seriously Clarks, you are the one who needs to keep up. With all of your demands, all have complied yet you still have not changed from your blah blah blah. Other viable choices have been given to you and you dismiss them, cause only you are the only expert in your head. Very arrogant.

Sorry, but the days of cheap labor is gone...bye-bye.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I don't get it, don't you read my posts? I have stated many times that when a prospective employee walks into a contractor's office looking for a job, their papers are in order.

Please read that, and remember that before you make another comment about the "criminals". and if you have exceeded the speed limit, well, you are a criminal too.

Now, again, as I have stated, contractors do not have time or resources to research the legality of the thousands that are hired. They usually have an office with a secretary. So, here is what you can do to prevent the submersion of American culture in the Tsunami of little brown people. Volunteer at your nearest labor contractor to research the documentation of the workers. Each illegal you find, you can contact ICE.

By doing this, you are going to save America. Please let us know how that goes.
Please keep your posters straight as I have never referred to illegal aliens as criminals. I say they are all immigration laws breakers but yes "some" are criminals also.

When an American breaks the law such as speeding they pay the price. Illegals just hide out. Since when does an American speeding justify millions of illegal aliens in our country anyway? You can't be serious that they are one and the same.

It isn't up to me to enforce immigration law. That is what we have ICE for. It is also up to our government to secure our borders not the American people. "Little brown people"? I don't give a rat's behind what color skin an illegal has or where they are from. They need to be deported according to our laws. Race card pulling duly noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration