U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:03 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,719,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To add: "nobody here understands true farming". It worked just fine before cheap labor
I have no idea what you mean by this sentence.

Rather than try to explain what is apparently unexplainable, let me toss this in.

Some years ago John McCain offered $50,000 bucks to any white man who spent a season in the Yuma lettuce fields, that cash on top of the wages. There were no, let me repeat, no takers.
You figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

Rather than try to explain what is apparently unexplainable, let me toss this in.

Some years ago John McCain offered $50,000 bucks to any white man who spent a season in the Yuma lettuce fields, that cash on top of the wages. There were no, let me repeat, no takers.
You figure it out.
Well I guess the operative word here is John McCain...ok, moving on. I had never heard such an offer, goes to show how far his reach was "some years ago" in all probability when many Americans were comfortable economically.. You still have not responded to my questions. I can wait.

Regarding your quote of me, it is what you profess all the time! So glad you have joined our confusion to your claims.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:25 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:

You figure it out.
Link please.

Frankly; I do not believe you.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Regarding your quote of me, it is what you profess all the time! So glad you have joined our confusion to your claims.
Here is your sentences
Quote:
To add: "nobody here understands true farming". It worked just fine before cheap labor
I will rewrite it because it appears your second sentence is a subordinate clause, as is apparently most of the first; to add "nobody here understands true farming", it worked fine before cheap labor.

I still don't have any idea what it means. but let us take a quick look at what you put in quotations, "nobody here understands true farming" you, by putting that in quotes are saying I said that, yet, I don't recall writing that, help me out here, show me where I stated that.

You seem somewhat hung up on certain talking points, probably gotten off some website, one is "cheap labor" another is H2A visa, now, I don't know exactly what your leader is telling you, but you are getting, and repeating bad information.

It is true that you and these others do not understand the mechanics of commercial agriculture, and based on your and the others, resistance to my information, you have no interest in understand the the problems of labor in the fields. That is fine, that is your prerogative, but, you are trying to make statements about that end of the business and you do not have the understanding to do so, and nothing I have said has made any difference.

You, know, I seldom talk to a businessman and tell him how his business runs. If I were to do so, and he told me I did not know what I was talking about, I would say, so educate me.

Some people are not like me though.

Succinctly, you and others like to eat.
Growers supply the produce, fruits and wine you like.
Growers use labor.
They use the labor they got, not they labor you wish they had.
You get to eat.

Now, if this upsets you, that there is a chance you might eat some produce that an illegal touched, then, it is time to stop eating fresh food (yeah, I know, you stick to canned food). When you go to the supermarket, ignore everything fresh, that is all fruits and vegetables, and do not, by all means do not buy any wine, or beer (hops are grown).

Good luck.

Oh and for azbear, here is a link I often use; http://google.com

This one is fun;
Quote:
[SIZE=-1]Skip to comments.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Senator John McCain Offering $50 an hour to pick lettuce![/SIZE]
Senator John McCain's Office ^ | April 14th 2006 | Senator John McCain
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 10:21:40 AM by Fred
U.S. Senator John McCain is offering $50.00 an hour to anyone willing to stay in Yuma for 1 year and pick lettuce.
Here are his numbers. They will ask you for your name address and phone number.
241 Russell Senate Ofc. Bldg. United States Senate , Washington DC 20510 Phone: (202) 224-2235 Fax: (202) 228-2862
Phoenix 5353 North 16th Street Suite 105 Phoenix, Arizona 85016 Phone: (602) 952-2410 Fax: (602) 952-8702
Tempe 4703 S. Lakeshore Drive Suite 1 Tempe, Arizona 85282 Phone: (480) 897-6289 Fax: (480) 897-8389
Tucson 407 W. Congress Street Suite 103 Tucson, Arizona 85701 Phone: (520) 670-6334 Fax: (520) 670-6637
This one is cute too;
Quote:
McCain responded by saying immigrants were taking jobs nobody else wanted. He offered anybody in the crowd $50 an hour to pick lettuce in Arizona.
Shouts of protest rose from the crowd, with some accepting McCain's job offer.
"I'll take it!" one man shouted.
McCain insisted none of them would do such menial labor for a complete season. "You can't do it, my friends."

Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,256 times
Quote:
Here is your sentencesI will rewrite it because it appears your second sentence is a subordinate clause, as is apparently most of the first; to add "nobody here understands true farming", it worked fine before cheap labor.

I still don't have any idea what it means. but let us take a quick look at what you put in quotations, "nobody here understands true farming" you, by putting that in quotes are saying I said that, yet, I don't recall writing that, help me out here, show me where I stated that.

You seem somewhat hung up on certain talking points, probably gotten off some website, one is "cheap labor" another is H2A visa, now, I don't know exactly what your leader is telling you, but you are getting, and repeating bad information.

It is true that you and these others do not understand the mechanics of commercial agriculture, and based on your and the others, resistance to my information, you have no interest in understand the the problems of labor in the fields. That is fine, that is your prerogative, but, you are trying to make statements about that end of the business and you do not have the understanding to do so, and nothing I have said has made any difference.

You, know, I seldom talk to a businessman and tell him how his business runs. If I were to do so, and he told me I did not know what I was talking about, I would say, so educate me.

Some people are not like me though.

Succinctly, you and others like to eat.
Growers supply the produce, fruits and wine you like.
Growers use labor.
They use the labor they got, not they labor you wish they had.
You get to eat.

Now, if this upsets you, that there is a chance you might eat some produce that an illegal touched, then, it is time to stop eating fresh food (yeah, I know, you stick to canned food). When you go to the supermarket, ignore everything fresh, that is all fruits and vegetables, and do not, by all means do not buy any wine, or beer (hops are grown).

Good luck.

Oh and for azbear, here is a link I often use; http://google.com

This one is fun;

This one is cute too;
Upset me? Lord no, amuse and entertain me, certainly, proving you to continue to skirt main issues asked for your response as well as "lots of pretty words" quoting mine taken out of context. Which mean nothing, negating any respect you wish to gain. Regarding your recent posts to me.. Clarks. I'm not going digging finding your every posts to make a point you have stated so many times. Cumulatively.

Facts: Illegal labor is wrong. For this country and our economy. Any justification remains an insult. I am sure you'll still only quote a few words I post still never addressing my earlier questions relating to your claims. I have to say I have given you chance upon chance with no result. So, you, now fall on deaf ears.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 AM

Of course I fall on deaf ears, with you. But there is a fair chance someone with critical thinking skills was reading this.

Any professor in a classroom knows that some people are mentally arguing with everything he says, some people are sleeping, and some are paying attention and learning.

The awake and the thinking learned this:
Everyone in the fields has the proper paper work.
Not everyone in the fields is legal.
The pay is equivalent to paramedics and Federal Wildland Firefighters
The working conditions are carefully regulated by the state.
H2A visa system was designed not to work.
Field work, times and places are non predictable.
Growers/farmers do not employ field workers, labor contractors do.
Growers/farmers have no say in who shows up to work, labor contractors do.
Produce is grown largely by huge multinational corporations, not some nice guy in a red 59 Chevy pickup with a few bushels of produce in the back.
Growers/farmers feed each of us
Growers/farmers, 99%, are pro American conservative Republicans.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Of course I fall on deaf ears, with you. But there is a fair chance someone with critical thinking skills was reading this.

Any professor in a classroom knows that some people are mentally arguing with everything he says, some people are sleeping, and some are paying attention and learning.

The awake and the thinking learned this:
Everyone in the fields has the proper paper work.
Not everyone in the fields is legal.

The pay is equivalent to paramedics and Federal Wildland Firefighters
The working conditions are carefully regulated by the state.
H2A visa system was designed not to work.
Field work, times and places are non predictable.
Growers/farmers do not employ field workers, labor contractors do.
Growers/farmers have no say in who shows up to work, labor contractors do.
Produce is grown largely by huge multinational corporations, not some nice guy in a red 59 Chevy pickup with a few bushels of produce in the back.
Growers/farmers feed each of us
Growers/farmers, 99%, are pro American conservative Republicans.
You just contradicted yourself there. If a person is here illegally; their paperwork by default is fraudulent.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:40 PM

You also said you did not believe me about McCain, so far, you are 0 for 2.

In actuality, there are few psychics in the business world.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 PM

13,047 posts, read 21,154,444 times
This argument is basically a pimple on the ass of illegal immigration - I don't see why anyone would bother so much with this back and forth. All of 3% of the illegals in the US actually work in agriculture.

Study Details Lives of Illegal Immigrants in U.S. : NPR

My beef isn't with the 3% who are picking tomatoes - but their extended family living here off the taxpayer's dime is far more offensive, not to mention the 93% who are also here doing other "jobs that Americans won't do".

Let's figure out a way to get migrant ag workers legal like before, and keep their families back home while they come north to work ag. The workers are more likely to return to Mexico if they don't have their kit and caboodle living with them here, and we wouldn't have to foot the bill for their families' WIC, public education, housing, health care, etc.

Maybe we can focus on viable solutions, if in fact according to an actual grower this visa program isn't viable. I would prefer a system when those from Mexico (or other countries, I don't mind either way) who wish to work in ag here in the US would have to pass a background check and certain health screenings in order to qualify.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
You also said you did not believe me about McCain, so far, you are 0 for 2.

In actuality, there are few psychics in the business world.
Correct: I did not believe you; hence you having the having the onus of producing proof. Note in your 'McCain' comment that several Americans were willing to work under the conditions outlined yet were rebuffed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration