U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Really, someone is? Please elucidate.

I have not seen where anyone including myself has done so, if stating the experience of one person is "acting like all the children who are in school as illegal immigrants will grow up to be "college professors"

I can only be dumbfounded.

The premise is simple, educated people have better jobs than uneducated people, therefore they make more money, therefore the state gets more tax money.
Conversely prohibiting the education of children because of the "sins" of their parents, is immoral by any moral code.
Uneducated people will make money, sometime at the point of a gun.

Educating people makes sense to me.
The solution is to deport them and their parents and let them get an education in their own countries. We have no moral obligation to educate illegal aliens.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,088,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I'm not saying that it's not happening. I'm saying that it's a simple matter of school district policy. Each school district lets it happen or doesn't let it happen. As the "Mexican Kids Cross Border Daily For Free U.S. Education" story states, one school district decided to change its policies.

A similar same principle is the case with "out of district" students attending an "in-district" school within the US. Some districts let kids come in for free, some let them come in if they pay tuition or if a parent works for the district, or some don't let it happen at all. Some districts have different policies for out of state or out of country students.

"These Illegals crossed years ago, had an anchor then went back to Mex when they couldn't pay their mortgage on the house they bought with fake income and documents(fraud)." - But if the school district knows that the family is now in Mexico, and the family is being honest about it, then the ball is in the school district's court. If the district lets the kids attend anyway, then it's a matter of district policy. Whether the parents are saints or devils - it's irrelevant. It's the school district letting it happen.

Insideschools.org :: Who may attend? talks about how New York City's public school system proves residency

AngryTaxPayer: Do you want to propose a state law requiring tuition at any school district for out of country students?
It sounds strange, but the district is after these kids...not because they are illegal aliens, but because they dont live in the district.

If the kids live in the district, wether they are legal or not, the Kids are counted and the Fed and State has appropriated monies for them. If students comes from a different district wether legal or not, the District has not recieved any funds for these kids. So if a kid crosses the border daily, they have not been counted as an in-district kid. If a Kid lives in the district and is a illegal alien, he is left alone to go to school.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 PM

25,573 posts, read 23,775,740 times
I dont think the idea of sending them to school is a problem....its when some schools are making another language their primary language, with english as their secondary. You wont find that kind of crap in some countries, and rightfully so.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
I dont think the idea of sending them to school is a problem....its when some schools are making another language their primary language, with english as their secondary. You wont find that kind of crap in some countries, and rightfully so.
Both things are a problem. One costs us taxpayers dollars and the other one is costing us our culture and heritage.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,721,993 times
Quote:
One costs us taxpayers dollars and the other one is costing us our culture and heritage.
Culture and heritage, 400 years hispanic in the Southwest
164 years Anglo overlay on hispanic in Southwest.

Nearly every town in the Southwest has a Spanish name.
Nearly every river in the Southwest has a Spanish name.
Some families in the Southwest can trace their lineage back 10-15 generations in the southwest, in Spanish.
Mexican/Spanish/Moorish architecture is found throughout the southwest, from the train station in San Luis Obispo, to the Train station in Caliente.
California, Nevada Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Spanish names.

Just what history and culture are you talking about?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Some families in the Southwest can trace their lineage back 10-15 generations in the southwest, in Spanish.
Mexican/Spanish/Moorish architecture is found throughout the southwest, from the train station in San Luis Obispo, to the Train station in Caliente.

I am talking about the culture and language that this country adopted with its founding as the U.S.A. We didn't adopt the Hispanic culture and the Spanish language as our identifying and dominant ones as a nation. You forget that some southwestern states are only a part of 50 states. The southwest did not become the model for our culture and language.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:04 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Quote:

And the dominant culture here in our Southwest today is Anglo where the Rule of Law still holds sway---------unlike disintegrating Mexico courtesy of its grown drug wars. Likewise; Australia may have lots of Aboriginal place names but, its core culture is still solidly Anglo.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,721,993 times
Quote:
I am talking about the culture and language that this country adopted with its founding as the U.S.A. We didn't adopt the Hispanic culture and the Spanish language as our identifying and dominant ones as a nation. You forget that some southwestern states are only a part of 50 states. The southwest did not become the model for our culture and language.
So the only valid culture is the Anglo Saxon? the Obermensch?

Interesting, the largest minority in the nation is German, not Anglo Saxon.
Then we need to suppress the Cajuns in Lousiana, the Scandanavians in the upper midwest, the Portuguese on both coasts, the Italians in New York and Boston, the Irish in New York and Boston, the Poles in Chicago and the steel towns.
Oh, lets not forget the folks them AngloSaxons stole the land from, the Indians.

The Anglo Saxons have a long history of killing other ethnic groups. You have never heard of the Fish Creek War. In a mining town in Nevada in 1879, there were Italian charcoal makers, they went on strike, they wanted enough money to live on (imagine their temerity) So the local boys, good colonial Anglo Saxon stock went out and massacred them.
Sacco and Vannzetti, killed for the crime of being Italian.
Black Americans, American Citizens, 4,000 of which were hung in the state of Mississippi alone between 1900 and the start of WW2, without the benefit of trial.

You see, as soon as anyone talks of the dominant culture, I think of those things, and I think of the Nazis, not much difference in my book, and I am English, mostly.

I consider the hatred of illegals only partially due to their illegality, but primarily due to their ethnicity. Now you can deny it till the cows come home. I do not believe your denials.

I do believe that if this country were being "invaded" by hordes of 19 year old French and Swedish girls, we would not hear all this virulent whining.

Oh, and don't forget that the haters grandfathers hated the Japanese and had an entire race of Americans, both native born citizens and immigrants imprisoned in labor camps, and their fathers were able to get laws passed prohibiting the immigration of Chinese, for fear of the Yellow Peril.

Racism assumes many forms, but, it is old stuff.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
So the only valid culture is the Anglo Saxon? the Obermensch?

Interesting, the largest minority in the nation is German, not Anglo Saxon.
Then we need to suppress the Cajuns in Lousiana, the Scandanavians in the upper midwest, the Portuguese on both coasts, the Italians in New York and Boston, the Irish in New York and Boston, the Poles in Chicago and the steel towns.
Oh, lets not forget the folks them AngloSaxons stole the land from, the Indians.

The Anglo Saxons have a long history of killing other ethnic groups. You have never heard of the Fish Creek War. In a mining town in Nevada in 1879, there were Italian charcoal makers, they went on strike, they wanted enough money to live on (imagine their temerity) So the local boys, good colonial Anglo Saxon stock went out and massacred them.
Sacco and Vannzetti, killed for the crime of being Italian.
Black Americans, American Citizens, 4,000 of which were hung in the state of Mississippi alone between 1900 and the start of WW2, without the benefit of trial.

You see, as soon as anyone talks of the dominant culture, I think of those things, and I think of the Nazis, not much difference in my book, and I am English, mostly.

I consider the hatred of illegals only partially due to their illegality, but primarily due to their ethnicity. Now you can deny it till the cows come home. I do not believe your denials.

I do believe that if this country were being "invaded" by hordes of 19 year old French and Swedish girls, we would not hear all this virulent whining.

Oh, and don't forget that the haters grandfathers hated the Japanese and had an entire race of Americans, both native born citizens and immigrants imprisoned in labor camps, and their fathers were able to get laws passed prohibiting the immigration of Chinese, for fear of the Yellow Peril.

Racism assumes many forms, but, it is old stuff.
There isn't a group of people on the face of this earth that isn't guilty of some atrocity in the past but I fail to see how that negates the fact that our U.S. culture is based on British European culture and the English language has anything to do with that. Where did any of us say that other cultures aren't valid in this country? It is just that they are minority cultures that's all.

I don't get what any supposed racism has to do with the subject of our undeniable dominant and identifying culture either. Living in the past and transferring blame and guilt on those of us alive today is bizarre to say the least. As for illegal immigration most Americans oppose it for justified and sensible reasons and not racism. It doesn't matter who these illegals are they ALL should be removed from our country. Your negative remarks about "anglos" over the past when it has no place in today's world and subtly accusing them of racism in regards to illegal immigration indicates that you might want do some soul searching about your own feelings instead.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:08 AM

4,277 posts, read 7,893,105 times
Clarks isn't saying that people today inherit the guilt of people from yesterday. What he is doing is comparing the perceived attitudes of some anti-illegal immigration figures to those of people from yesterday.

I think the right way to approach an anti-illegal immigration stance is to read Richard Geib's essay about it - he brings up some good reasons why it is a problem: Propositions 209 and 187 and a Public School Teacher

Araceli of CSU Fresno asked her question back in 1997 - Geib's response has great points that are valid over 10 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There isn't a group of people on the face of this earth that isn't guilty of some atrocity in the past but I fail to see how that negates the fact that our U.S. culture is based on British European culture and the English language has anything to do with that. Where did any of us say that other cultures aren't valid in this country? It is just that they are minority cultures that's all.

I don't get what any supposed racism has to do with the subject of our undeniable dominant and identifying culture either. Living in the past and transferring blame and guilt on those of us alive today is bizarre to say the least. As for illegal immigration most Americans oppose it for justified and sensible reasons and not racism. It doesn't matter who these illegals are they ALL should be removed from our country. Your negative remarks about "anglos" over the past when it has no place in today's world and subtly accusing them of racism in regards to illegal immigration indicates that you might want do some soul searching about your own feelings instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or