U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,134,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Clarks isn't saying that people today inherit the guilt of people from yesterday. What he is doing is comparing the perceived attitudes of some anti-illegal immigration figures to those of people from yesterday.

I think the right way to approach an anti-illegal immigration stance is to read Richard Geib's essay about it - he brings up some good reasons why it is a problem: Propositions 209 and 187 and a Public School Teacher

Araceli of CSU Fresno asked her question back in 1997 - Geib's response has great points that are valid over 10 years later
I read the article and insist again, this is not about anti-immigration. It is about anti-illegal immigration, the rights they demand which they are not entitled, the social service programs they abuse which they are not entitled to, the anchor baby atrocities, the flooding of our job markets...you know the facts there, need I go on? NO school should have to change it's curriculum, forcing our basic language out, making it second to cater to illegal aliens brood, yes, the 14Th Amendment loophole they use. It's absurd. It is diluting the principals of this country, it is changing our basic structure and taxpayers foot the bill for it! Tell me that is not crazy! WHY should I care or do anything for those brought here, illegally, born here questionably illegal (again, the 14Th argument) when it is MY country who I desire to defend? Even the author of your article claims negatives to society as a whole in areas where they reside, then going into the "they are people too" in defense of them. Had those come here, legally, needed help, of course this nation would rise to give it to them. For them to come here and DEMAND we pay for them, change our culture, give them unearned rights is despicable. In fact down right ludicrous.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:53 AM

2,014 posts, read 4,715,882 times
Quote:
U.S. culture is based on British European culture and the English language has anything to do with that. It is just that they are minority cultures that's all.
All cultures in the US are minority cultures. Including Anglo Saxon.
Our Icon the log cabin, is Swedish
Our Congress is Iroquois
The cowboy hat is Mexican.
The Union was saved during the Civil War in large part to the efforts of Irish Soldiers
The Union was tied together by the Continental Railroad, build in the eastern part by Irish in the west by Chinese.
The US Capital and the Whitehouse are Greek/Roman, built by African Americans.
The primary proponent of the Federalist system was Carribbean.
The only musical form indigenous to the US, aside from Indian, is African.
The other major musical influence to popular music is Irish and Scottish (neither, contrary to the thinking, of some are Anglo Saxon)
Much of your fresh fruits and vegetables are brought to you by Japanese growers, who revere and teach the old culture to their children.

Our culture is a hodgepodge of cultures, anyone who thinks our culture is British, has not lived in Britain.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:00 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,580,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Our Congress is Iroquois
The Union was saved during the Civil War in large part to the efforts of Irish Soldiers
The Union was tied together by the Continental Railroad, build in the eastern part by Irish in the west by Chinese.
The other major musical influence to popular music is Irish and Scottish (neither, contrary to the thinking, of some are Anglo Saxon)
Much of your fresh fruits and vegetables are brought to you by Japanese growers, who revere and teach the old culture to their children.

Our culture is a hodgepodge of cultures, anyone who thinks our culture is British, has not lived in Britain.
And everything you just described are hallmarks of our Anglo culture. Note that Anglo Saxon based does not always signify English culture.

Too; the English language and Rule of Law (which precludes illegal aliens, etc.) are also part of our dominant culture.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,132,876 times
Quote:
Our Congress is Iroquois

Here is what you don't get. "Out of many ONE"! One MAINSTREAM culture and one DOMINANT language.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 PM

4,256 posts, read 7,869,742 times
I was talking about anti-illegal immigration.
Geib was talking about anti-illegal immigration. (in other pages he talks about immigration and education of immigrants in general, but in that page it's all about illegals)

"NO school should have to change it's curriculum, forcing our basic language out, making it second to cater to illegal aliens brood, yes, the 14Th Amendment loophole they use. "

Firstly, it's highly not necessary to use the word "brood," as if we are dealing with roaches.

As for language and curriculum, Geib talks about that in his other webpages. He says the curriculum is a smokescreen - it doesn't really matter. The attitudes towards education determine success, and this is a problem for many such schools.

Quote:
You cannot make a student learn - you can only facilitate and encourage the process. In my opinion, achievement in education is mostly about attitude and hard work (and NOT funding or curriculum),
Quote:
For these reasons, the raucous debate over bilingual education never excited me much; too many students because of an academically impoverished environment were not going to learn very much no matter in what language the subject matter might be presented.
Quote:
Learning is learning whether it be in English or Spanish, and too many of my students (products of bilingual education in 1995) read and wrote as poorly in Spanish as did Latino students (products of English-immersion programs) in English 25 years earlier. The language itself is not the most important thing. English or Spanish? That is an emotional and political question which misses the point. Knowledge is knowledge whether the words be in English or Spanish. I say this as a bilingual teacher (Spanish-English) myself.
All from: Los Angeles Unified School District: Inner-City Teacher Blues

"Even the author of your article claims negatives to society as a whole in areas where they reside, then going into the "they are people too" in defense of them."

Because there are so many of the illegal immigrants in one place (in an area), and because of the social concerns which he discusses. He points out that many communities with native-born Americans have the same problems that communities that have illegals have. The problem is that this country may not need so much cheap labor as it did in the past, so it cannot accept all of the illegals. Re: "they are people too" - we are dealing with humans, yes?

"Had those come here, legally, needed help, of course this nation would rise to give it to them."

But how easily would they be granted visas? Getout, if it was that easy for them to get visas like that, then surely they would be here legally. AFAIK it is difficult for a poor campesino in Mexico or El Salvador to get a visa to work in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I read the article and insist again, this is not about anti-immigration. It is about anti-illegal immigration, the rights they demand which they are not entitled, the social service programs they abuse which they are not entitled to, the anchor baby atrocities, the flooding of our job markets...you know the facts there, need I go on? NO school should have to change it's curriculum, forcing our basic language out, making it second to cater to illegal aliens brood, yes, the 14Th Amendment loophole they use. It's absurd. It is diluting the principals of this country, it is changing our basic structure and taxpayers foot the bill for it! Tell me that is not crazy! WHY should I care or do anything for those brought here, illegally, born here questionably illegal (again, the 14Th argument) when it is MY country who I desire to defend? Even the author of your article claims negatives to society as a whole in areas where they reside, then going into the "they are people too" in defense of them. Had those come here, legally, needed help, of course this nation would rise to give it to them. For them to come here and DEMAND we pay for them, change our culture, give them unearned rights is despicable. In fact down right ludicrous.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:43 PM

4,256 posts, read 7,869,742 times
South Gate Middle School's population statistics thread is here: South Gate Middle School, South Gate California / CA School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

The decrease comes from the opening of a new school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
The level of overcrowding in a school system has a direct correlation with the general level of infestation of illegal aliens in any given school system area. South Gates middle school in LA, for example, has 4200 students in a school designed for 800! 1 in 3 students in America go to overcrowded schools.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:53 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,715,882 times
Quote:
Note that Anglo Saxon based does not always signify English culture.
Say what? It includes, Cajuns and Japanese and Polish and Russians?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:21 PM

1,150 posts, read 989,686 times
<<As for language and curriculum, Geib talks about that in his other webpages. He says the curriculum is a smokescreen - it doesn't really matter. The attitudes towards education determine success, and this is a problem for many such schools.>>

In that case it appears as though we're wasting time and money on bilingual education. Students may as well be taught in English only. Geib is correct in that attitude toward education is what determines success. If a person has the will to learn, they will learn, be it in English, or some other language. Encouraging someone to learn in Spanish is a roadblock on the road to success in this country, where the predominant language is still English.

Most legal immigrants intend to become Americans, and learn the language. IMO, many illegal immigrants, on the other hand, see no advantage in learning to speak English, as they have no desire to become Americans. Other than the fact that they won't have to worry about deportation, they see no advantage in becoming citizens. A good many of them, especially Mexicans, hope to return to Mexico to live someday.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:03 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,580,531 times
Quote:
Say what? It includes, Cajuns and Japanese and Polish and Russians?
Of course. All of the above; if US citizens, are American-------and, most of them embrace our culture i.e. English language, Rule of Law, social mores, etc.

Myself: I self identify as being Anglo (definitely White regardless) despite my 3/4's non 'Anglo-Saxon' lineage (Scots-Irish and Hungarian).

Old 03-04-2010, 02:18 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,018,786 times
Illegal criminals should not be allowed into our school system period.

We had an illegal family try to send their illegal criminal kids to our schools and we ( many parents ) demanded they be removed. They were gone within a within a couple of days. Then we find out the same family just keeps moving the kids around the schools to see if one of them does nothing about it.

Why? Mexican kids are not required to have the vaccines REQUIRED by our schools and they are carrying far too many diseases they obtained in Mexico.

It is not safe for our kids to get exposed to kids who have not had proper shots.

They are not aliens, they are illegal criminals. The kids are here with the criminal parents. It is against the law for them to be here.

If you believe you have illegals kids in your schools you need to report them. They carry tons of diseases and you surely would not want you kids exposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or