U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 05:00 PM

451 posts, read 1,016,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Heather Mac Donald, a journalist and fellow at the Manhattan Institute, can count immigration policy among her many areas of expertise. A contributing editor to the think tankís quarterly magazine City Journal and frequent contributor to important places like The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times, she also focuses on things like homeland security, policing and "racial" profiling, homelessness, education policy and business improvement districts.

As details of the immigration reform bill were being fought over in the Senate, I talked to Mac Donald by telephone on Thursday from her home in New York City:

Q: Is there a worst part of this bill that you would point to?

A: The worst part is the overnight amnesty for the 12 million illegals who are here. They merely need to apply and show that theyíve been in the country before Jan. 1 and provide some effort at proving they are currently working and the government has 24 hours to decide whether they are not eligible by virtue of a criminal background check. I think that is one of the most automatic amnesties that has been proposed in the whole series of so-called reform bills. I think to send the message to the world that, as usual, we are not serious about our immigration laws, and that they donít mean anything ó that if you can get into the country you can expect an amnesty ó will make the idea that we have meaningful borders completely a joke.

Q: What is a sound-bite synopsis of your position on immigration?

A: I think immigration should be to benefit America. Itís not a favor that we owe the rest of the world and we should craft immigration policies in ways that will improve our national competitiveness. That means bringing in people who have skills that will help the economy.

Iím also concerned with Hispanic immigrants. In the second and third generation, a significant portion of the children of recent Hispanic immigrants ó who are virtually all illegal but their children are legal ó are getting sucked up into underclass culture. You have the highest dropout rate in the country among Hispanics, the highest teen-pregnancy rate in the country among Hispanics and an out-of-wedlock birth rate that is 50 percent. These are all markers of future social pathology, so I think we are creating family breakdown and all of the problems that surely follow in the train of that.

Q: How many of the 12 million illegals are actually a problem ó whether because they are a drain on taxpayers because they are consuming welfare services or because they are criminals?

A: Well, The Wall Street Journal reported that DHS (Department of Homeland Security) estimates that possibly up to 20 percent of illegals wouldnít qualify for amnesty because of criminal backgrounds. That is a huge, huge, huge number. Iím frankly surprised itís that high because the real crime problem happens between second and third generations. With Mexicans it goes up eight times. Gang involvement is highest in the second generation. But welfare use is just very large ó 45 percent of households in 2005 headed by immigrants without a high school degree used at least one major welfare program. That includes all immigrants, but these days the immigrant flow is overwhelmingly Hispanic and overwhelmingly illegal and low-skilled. So there is a very high correlation between low-skilled immigrants and welfare use. In the future, if you have Hispanics having kids out of wedlock, thatís a recipe for poverty that leads to more welfare use. So they qualify for Medicaid ó all illegals qualify for Medicaid under most states. So thatís huge. Medicaid now is breaking state budgets.
Continues,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 06:15 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,457,801 times
That's kind of funny. If an illegal is here working, 99% chance he's using somebody else's name and identity. Had to in order to go to work in most cases. So if he's going to produce documents (rent, utilities, etc) to prove he's been here, they're going to be in somebody else's name. Plus, if he's using another name, how are they going to run a background check. If he did anything wrong, he used the other identity and probably changed it after getting caught at something just so he can break the trail of his existence.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:24 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
That's kind of funny. If an illegal is here working, 99% chance he's using somebody else's name and identity. Had to in order to go to work in most cases. So if he's going to produce documents (rent, utilities, etc) to prove he's been here, they're going to be in somebody else's name. Plus, if he's using another name, how are they going to run a background check. If he did anything wrong, he used the other identity and probably changed it after getting caught at something just so he can break the trail of his existence.

It doesn't matter. The plan is to legalize these illegal aliens without actually doing a background check. At all. The Amnesty Proposal requires background investigations to be completed within 24 hours or they're automatically going to be approved. The system in place right now can't process a background investigation that quickly. Their computers are too old and they don't have the manpower to do it, plus they are already swamped and behind with the normal regular requests they are processing right now. So if you add in 5 million, or 10 or 20 million new names there will literally be no background investigations done. By design.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:26 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,349,478 times
Quote:
I think immigration should be to benefit America. It’s not a favor that we owe the rest of the world and we should craft immigration policies in ways that will improve our national competitiveness. That means bringing in people who have skills that will help the economy.
Yes Yes Yes!

Quote:
the government has 24 hours to decide whether they are not eligible by virtue of a criminal background check
We do criminal background checks on potential new hires where I work. We can not get a background check done in 24 hours. I don't think the government will be able to either, especially not with trying to deal with large numbers. I think that means that because they will fail to do the background check in the required 24 hours the background checks will not be done at all. Just another reason to scrap the latest amnesty proposal.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:36 PM

The back ground checks done on an employ are completely different. They're planning on just running a check for prior felony's or convictions. Only takes about 5 minutes.

But it will still be wrong because it will be the wrong name and data.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:26 PM

90 posts, read 240,131 times
I'm going to start calling this the SHAMNESTY BILL

Old 06-02-2007, 09:32 PM

592 posts, read 2,533,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuilder View Post
I'm going to start calling this the SHAMNESTY BILL
How about SHAMNASTY BILL??

Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
How about SHAMNASTY BILL??
Exactly! Good call. When I was in Grand Prairie Texas, I went to the swap meet and found a booth that was selling drivers licenses and SS cards. I reported them to the INS. INS checked them out and said, there's nothing we can do because if you hold it under a black light at the right angle, it says, "For novelty use only." It was a valid license with their picture. It was a valide SSN, but with their name.

What the heck do you mean, "There's nothing we can do?????"

If you have a drivers license with your picture and somebody else's name, and accompany it with a SSN card with the same name, what employer is going to turn you down?

I finally got somebody from INS to show me how to recognize a illegal SSN card. DL is easy with a black light, but SSN is harder. You can tell.

We lost 38 employees the next day because I went through records. We didn't want to be responsible for hiring illegals. But they showed us good docs. Til we learned.

Do you know that most illegal's are working with a good SSN and Drivers license and the employers don't know it? The employer has done everything by law that he know's what to do. But he's still screwed. I see everybody wanting to go after the employer, but when he checks everything he's legal to do and they're still illegal and he doesn't know it, who's fault is it? The INS for not busting that booth?

Hey, just let me find out your name and I'll get the SSN and have a card made up. Then, two months later, I'll have a light bill with your name and SSN. That's the only two forms of ID I need to get my drivers license. Then I'm in.

When are we going to go to "Thumb Print" technology. A thumbprint reader is only $90 and will prove everything.

When they do this, their taxes and SSI go under your name. So when you do your taxes and they audit you because it's not right, it's because they have track on your second job that your not doing.

Some of these people we investigated had 3 or 4 names so that they wouldn't put enough on an account with the IRS to make a difference.

So go ahead, believe that they're not hurting anybody. They are hurting everybody. I actually had a guy at the plant using my SSN and name. Didn't even realize it out of 168 employees. HR didn't even pick up on it. They thought it was overtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or