U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:21 AM

19,183 posts, read 27,746,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Viva la France!
......Ack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 10:24 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,054,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
......Ack!
Don't get me wrong I hate France but I love their awakening on immigration, in hopes it will wake more countries up, like ours.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I hate France but I love their awakening on immigration, in hopes it will wake more countries up, like ours.
Hmmm. Apparently, the point of the 'Ack!' post has not yet dawned on you. Perhaps it never will. But moving right along, you have recently been required to get used to an increased mobility of capital that, among other things, has made it profitable to convert the 'low prices, always low prices' mantra of mindless consumerism into plants in Guangdong Province in place of those that were once in the United States. You will next need to adapt to an increasing mobility of labor that, among other things, will see willing workers moving all over the map in response to communicated economic stimulii, whether that movement is officially sanctioned by ruling bureaucracies or not. Ain't life grand?

Old 06-10-2007, 11:37 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,054,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Hmmm. Apparently, the point of the 'Ack!' post has not yet dawned on you. Perhaps it never will. But moving right along, you have recently been required to get used to an increased mobility of capital that, among other things, has made it profitable to convert the 'low prices, always low prices' mantra of mindless consumerism into plants in Guangdong Province in place of those that were once in the United States. You will next need to adapt to an increasing mobility of labor that, among other things, will see willing workers moving all over the map in response to communicated economic stimulii, whether that movement is officially sanctioned by ruling bureaucracies or not. Ain't life grand?

I have not been "required" to 'low prices, always low prices' mantra. I do not and will never shop at a WalMart, Target or Home Depot, among many others, no matter what their price. They will never see a dime of my money.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I have not been "required" to 'low prices, always low prices' mantra. I do not and will never shop at a WalMart, Target or Home Depot, among many others, no matter what their price. They will never see a dime of my money.
Wasn't a personal accusation. More of a collective thing. You will personally, however, have to adapt to the effects of increasing mobility of both capital and labor, the former having had something of a head start on the latter.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:55 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,164,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
It would be interesting to know why they wanted to come here, for our jobs or for a better way of life, or maybe our government and our freedoms? Our standard of living is not the highest in the world anymore nor the best education, or health care. So what is it that attracts them?
Best pickings, that's what. Did the Visigoths really care about the quality of the school system in ancient Rome?

The Visigoths weren't in Rome to become experts at chariot competition, and the migrants in this country aren't here to emulate MC Hammer.
They are not here to emulate the ways of this country, 'good' or 'bad,' and their home countries are not emulating our de facto lax immigration policies.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
M91

2 posts, read 6,617 times
[FONT=Times New Roman]Between 1880 and 1990, the majority of Italian immigration occurred. Although they were discriminated against for being dirty, poor, and working low wage jobs, Italians had a strong hold to their heritage. With this pride came numerous contributions that have become such a core of American culture, that without them America would not be the same. Jacuzzis, Big Macs, the name America, the phrase “all men are created equal,” Italian food, etc. are all from Italian immigrants. Different Little Italy areas have become thriving tourist and native spots for many in America. There is even an Italian Heritage Day in October celebrated by people all over the country. (NIAF)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Throughout the time of immigration, Chinese immigrants have constantly brought over their culture with them. They had a plethora of bad attitudes, discrimination, and activity against them and yet they were able to make an enormous contribution to American culture. Not only did they build the trans-continental railroad as well as levies in the Sacramento Delta, but Chinese food has become an extremely popular dining choice of Americans all over the country. Other contributions have been cigarettes, barbeque styles, fireworks, etc (GoldSea). When the Chinese arrived, they often clustered together for a sense of unity as well as maintenance of culture and protection – creating China Towns. Now, China Town is a largely popular area, especially in New York City, for not only tourists but New Yorkers as well – just like Little Italy. (Chinatown) [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Throughout history, immigrants have constantly built what American culture is today. Throughout the country, the idea of what the American culture is tends to vary. However, although to some there are a few exceptions, the culture is based on numerous different cultural contributions. Ethnic food from China, India, Japan, Italy, Greece, etc. is a huge part of living for many. Not to mention the day to day items that were brought from different cultures such as Jacuzzis, fireworks, the name of the country, etc. which have become integral parts of living for so many Americans. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Many say that the Mexican immigrants are ruining American culture by bringing their own. Yet, Mexican restaurants and piñatas and other Hispanic cultural items have done quite the opposite of harm and have found their way into the birthday parties of many American children as well has the diet of many American children and adults. We constantly complain about how their culture is only contaminating ours, but our culture was created this way. Not to mention our culture started from immigrants who came here from England.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]As Smerkygirl stated: “McDonald's has not changed a culture? Tell that to the rice-eating Chinese kid or the Sushi-eating Japanese kid that's never seen a burger before McDonald's invaded. If you read international news at all, you'll see that the obesity rate for both those countries are rising at a rate that is alarming government and health officials. And McDonald's is NOT welcomed in France and Coca Cola is NOT welcomed in India. Do your research. As for providing employment for the countries they go to, this may be true but that still changes their CULTURE nonetheless. The sweatshops (characteristics of Western civilization) that helped boost the economy in Hong Kong greatly changed the flavor of the area from a small, rural fisherman's village to the booming world economic presence it is today. Not immediately, but definitely slowly and now the area reaps those benefits AND is more western than many other "eastern" influenced places. As for Target changing our culture, like heck it hasn't?! It is the prime destination many college students as well as first apartment renters go to for their shopping/home decor needs!” We complain about the detrimental affects Mexican immigration is having on our culture, but we are affecting other cultures in the same way – although whether our effects are good or bad is for everyone to decide for themselves. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]The issue of culture is related to both legal and illegal immigrants. Illegal immigrants are not the only “culprits” in the addition of Mexican culture to the United States. It does not make sense to hate illegal immigrants because they change the way some people eat and yet to think that legal Mexican and South American immigrants do nothing of the sort. Our culture is based on the contributions of others so to say that any cultural influence is a bad thing negates our entire history. Regardless of opinions on whether or not immigration (legal or illegal) should occur, I urge you to think – where would we be if our culture was not influenced by other cultures? [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]NIAF - http://www.niaf.org/research/contribution.asp[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]GoldSea - [URL="http://www.goldsea.com/Poll/Culture/culture.html"]Asian Contribution to American Culture | Asian American Poll | GoldSea[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Chinatown - [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_town"]Chinatown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL][/FONT]

Old 04-29-2008, 08:13 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,523,664 times
Quote:
Observation 1:

American culture is spreading to the rest of the world. More and more McDonald's are popping up in obscure places such as a tiny city in China or a small town-village in India. Coca-cola is being consumed as a worldwide drink. English is being learned as a second language in many non-English speaking countries as well.
I have observed micky ds and coke appearing in other countries. Is this free trade and supply and demand? Ive notice this occurrence over many years. I also observe that about every product I buy is made in China.
In French class (1988) during a discussion with the professor, She stated that most all European countries English was in place as a universal language because there were so many languages spoken in such close proximity.

Quote:
Observation 2:

Many Americans complain about the invasion of the "American culture" with foreign influence such as taco stands, integrating Spanish into a lot of American services, and Cinco de Mayo celebrations on the city streets.
Where are you encountering these many americans complaining about taco stands or chinessee restaraunts or Cinco de Mayo for heavens sake. I heard that more Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo than Mexicans and same for St. Patricks day.
I wouldnt describe the situation as INTERGRADING Spanish language. Its more forced, required and causing a hardship for many American workers.

Quote:
Does this mean its okay for Americans to invade other countries but not okay when a possibly equally strong (or stronger) cultural influence invade our own? Is that not hipocrisy?
How is McDonalds in China an invasion?
Most Americans I encounter as myself enjoy all the different cultural influences and dont view them as an invasion unless they attempt to replace our own culture.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 PM

327 posts, read 822,976 times
Thumbs up Supply and Demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Observation 1:

American culture is spreading to the rest of the world. More and more McDonald's are popping up in obscure places such as a tiny city in China or a small town-village in India. Coca-cola is being consumed as a worldwide drink. English is being learned as a second language in many non-English speaking countries as well.

Observation 2:

Many Americans complain about the invasion of the "American culture" with foreign influence such as taco stands, integrating Spanish into a lot of American services, and Cinco de Mayo celebrations on the city streets.

Does this mean its okay for Americans to invade other countries but not okay when a possibly equally strong (or stronger) cultural influence invade our own? Is that not hipocrisy?
Thanks to the World Trade agremments we can't stop import and export. Where there's demand, supplies will arrive (not invade) sooner or later. Sometimes it's not that easy. It takes time to deal with international and local laws. But first comes, research and a fisibility study.
Keep in mind that American dollar still has a strong power around the world.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:03 AM

252 posts, read 1,015,980 times
This blast from the past is great! thanks for digging it up. SmerkyGrl is about as dumb as they come, box of rocks between the ears. I love my tacos here in LA, the best is El Taurino & King Taco! In fact, beside Rosarito, I haven't tasted better although Little Juanitas trailer on 3rd & Western comes close.

American corporate invasion? If they don't want it, they will leave. McDs made it but in Asia Carls Jr tried but the people there didn't dig it so they left. Do we have a choice to turn down these "invaders" like those who turned down Carls Jr? My wife and I've been as north as Oregon, as south as Argentina, as east as China and west as Italy. Would you call H&M's rapid expansion into USA an European invasion into US Culture? Would you call Toyota's expansion, which employs thousands in the US an invasion? Would you call Taco Bells existence an attempt by the Latin sect of PepsiCo to disintegrate US born fast food (hamburger)? Or are we in the mist of a subliminal Chinese invasion from all the good made in China us US citizens purchase? This weekend, Speed Racer the movie is coming out (fear Japan!), one of last yrs highest grossing movie (Transformers) is based on Japanese products (Doh!! here comes the rising sun!)

If you can't tell the difference between globalization & an actual illegal immigration problem, go back to skool!

Last edited by snb3; 04-30-2008 at 02:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration