Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:01 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Observation 1:

American culture is spreading to the rest of the world. More and more McDonald's are popping up in obscure places such as a tiny city in China or a small town-village in India. Coca-cola is being consumed as a worldwide drink. English is being learned as a second language in many non-English speaking countries as well.

Observation 2:

Many Americans complain about the invasion of the "American culture" with foreign influence such as taco stands, integrating Spanish into a lot of American services, and Cinco de Mayo celebrations on the city streets.

Does this mean its okay for Americans to invade other countries but not okay when a possibly equally strong (or stronger) cultural influence invade our own? Is that not hipocrisy?
McDonalds and Coca-cola are corporations interested in making a profit, not changing a culture. I doubt the products could be worldwide if they were not already welcome. They also provide employment for the citizens of the countries they have moved into. How can that be considered invading a culture? Foreign business is welcome here - consider Target - has Target changed our culture??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
McDonalds and Coca-cola are corporations interested in making a profit, not changing a culture. I doubt the products could be worldwide if they were not already welcome. They also provide employment for the citizens of the countries they have moved into. How can that be considered invading a culture? Foreign business is welcome here - consider Target - has Target changed our culture??
McDonald's has not changed a culture? Tell that to the rice-eating Chinese kid or the Sushi-eating Japanese kid that's never seen a burger before McDonald's invaded. If you read international news at all, you'll see that the obesity rate for both those countries are rising at a rate that is alarming government and health officials. And McDonald's is NOT welcomed in France and Coca Cola is NOT welcomed in India. Do your research. As for providing employment for the countries they go to, this may be true but that still changes their CULTURE nonetheless. The sweatshops (characteristics of Western civilization) that helped boost the economy in Hong Kong greatly changed the flavor of the area from a small, rural fisherman's village to the booming world economic presence it is today. Not immediately, but definitely slowly and now the area reaps those benefits AND is more western than many other "eastern" influenced places. As for Target changing our culture, like heck it hasn't?! It is the prime destination many college students as well as first apartment renters go to for their shopping/home decor needs!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:16 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
....McDonald's has not changed a culture? Tell that to the rice-eating Chinese kid or the Sushi-eating Japanese kid that's never seen a burger before McDonald's invaded. If you read international news at all, you'll see that the obesity rate for both those countries are rising at a rate that is alarming government and health officials. And McDonald's is NOT welcomed in France and Coca Cola is NOT welcomed in India. !
Are Chinese and Japanese parents in charge of their children? Let's hope so. That's their job. Not McDs. We have a McDs 4 miles from my home and my son would probably eat there every day.

We've been there maybe 3 times in a year. It really isn't hard saying no to children. If one can't, please, please don't have them.

If what you say is true, then McDs will be pulling out of France and India due to lack of business. The market decides things like that quite efficiently.

Obesity? That's not a food service corporation's problem. The only businesses that should worry about that are gyms and health clubs.

You've laid out the problem as you see it. Now, what do you propose for solutions?

Last edited by doc1; 06-04-2007 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-04-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

You've laid out the problem as you see it. Now, what do you propose for solutions?
Make disctinctions merely by the legality of their status. If they're illegal, send 'em home. Otherwise, embrace the different cultures brought to America by the legal residents of a different heritage. Assimilation WILL eventually happen, even if just ONE person is resistant against it because they refuse to learn English. Generally, if someone new goes to some place and feels animosity, they'll miss how they fit in in their homeland and how things used to be. But if people are less judgmental (Taco stands? Can't speak English? BAH!) on the different cultures and more friendly, that assimilation will come because they will want to be a part of "these nice people". Naturally, I understand many will complain about "them taking our jobs, them driving down wages, them making me pay welfare to support their sorry butt". However, I don't think that is isolated to just immigrants but just lazy people as a whole. As matter of fact, when I used to work as a grocery store as a teenager, one of the women I worked with quit her job and her reason was, no joke, "I'm gonna go have me some babies. The government pays you to have kids!"

It was truly a face-palm moment for me.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,139 times
Quote:
Observation 1:

American culture is spreading to the rest of the world. More and more McDonald's are popping up in obscure places such as a tiny city in China or a small town-village in India. Coca-cola is being consumed as a worldwide drink. English is being learned as a second language in many non-English speaking countries as well.

Observation 2:

Many Americans complain about the invasion of the "American culture" with foreign influence such as taco stands, integrating Spanish into a lot of American services, and Cinco de Mayo celebrations on the city streets.

Does this mean its okay for Americans to invade other countries but not okay when a possibly equally strong (or stronger) cultural influence invade our own? Is that not hipocrisy?

You're comparing apples to oranges here. American business entering the entire world and Hispanic culture (only) entering the US are two different issues. It's pretty clear from the OP and the way this thread has gone that this belongs in the Immigration forum.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:55 PM

47 posts, read 129,389 times
Quote:
Observation 1:

Observation 2:

I agree with this post 100%! When Americans are complaining about illegal immigrants invading their country and their culture, Americans are invading and taking over the world with their culture, many times in countries that do not even want the American culture. It is very difficult for smaller countries to protect their culture when America is such a powerhouse in the global economy. Soon this whole world will just be America. I think many Americans refuse to acknowledge that they invade other countries with their culture...many Americans believe they are simply "higher than thou," and can do anything they please, which is very unfortunate. And yes to anyone who is wondering...I am American.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges here. American business entering the entire world and Hispanic culture (only) entering the US are two different issues. It's pretty clear from the OP and the way this thread has gone that this belongs in the Immigration forum.
I'd really like to see what your definition of "apples to apples" would be then, because I'm quite sure that the American companies entering these countries brings American culture with them. Eating a Big Mac, no matter how you argue it, is inherently American. This is also true with drinking Coca-Cola. My original post was simply speaking of culture and not of economic impact. I don't see how that has anything to do with immigration at all.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:23 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Observation 1:

Observation 2:

1. We're not invading.
2. We're exporting.
3. The countries in question has to have a market that wants it an d welcomes it.
4. It's free enterprise, not fence jumping.
5. It's international corporations, not individuals.

Your comparing apples and oranges, I see the point you're trying to make but it doesn't hold water. We have welcomed many cultures into this land LEGALLY (i.e. Chinatown, Little Italy, Little Havana, Germantown, etc.) but you have to draw the line when a culture is being forced upon your own through illegal presents.

People i.e. taxpayers are sick of this country being overrun with illegals claiming rights. It hasn't got squat to do with what country they are from, it has everything to do with how they got here.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM

See. this is why I really resent this thread being moved to the immigration forum. My thread had NOTHING, NO MENTION of illegal immigrants at all and most of the people in the politics forum understood that. I AM talking about legal immigration and I AM talking about those people who resent the changes like China Town, Little Italy, etc.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:01 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,139 times
Quote:
I AM talking about legal immigration
The name of the forum is Immigration, not Illegal Immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration