Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,826,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The Catholic Church has enough problems and should know when to back off. Myself, and several other friends, have ceased making donations to the church as we fear the money is being used to 1) defend pedophiles and 2) further the illegal immigration agenda.
this discussion is not about the catholic church, it wether any church has a right to speak politics from its pulpit.

wether it be the Pope, John Hagee, Dr. ML King, or your pastor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,531,606 times
From the pulpit? sure...invited to the White House to be included in discussions regarding American politics? Never....

Old 03-15-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
From the pulpit? sure...invited to the White House to be included in discussions regarding American politics? Never....
Dr. ML King was invited to the White house. I think they discussed more than the signing of the Civil Rights Act.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,886,109 times
Quote:
The Catholic Church has enough problems and should know when to back off. Myself, and several other friends, have ceased making donations to the church as we fear the money is being used to 1) defend pedophiles and 2) further the illegal immigration agenda.
good for you! i think if the churches choose to get involved in politics, then they must suffer the logical consequences of those actions. i am so sick of the catholic church in indian river county, florida, abetting illegal immigrant lawbreakers for financial gain.

they should lose their tax exempt status IMMEDIATELY as they are, in fact, operating as a revenue generating business.

i am not just singling out the catholic church just going by what i know to be true in my county. i am sure other churches are doing the same thing around the country.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Dr. ML King was invited to the White house. I think they discussed more than the signing of the Civil Rights Act.

Again, what's your point? Does it happen? all the time, do I condone it, Never and churches should be taxed if they stick their noses into politics.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Again, what's your point? Does it happen? all the time, do I condone it, Never and churches should be taxed if they stick their noses into politics.
some call for the churches that help illegal aliens to have criminal charges placed against them.

some call for the tax exempt status to be revoked

some dont know what to do...

my point is who gets to choose. who get to lable the struggle as just and moral.

The Church or the Government.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times
Quote:
this discussion is not about the catholic church, it wether any church has a right to speak politics from its pulpit.

wether it be the Pope, John Hagee, Dr. ML King, or your pastor.
I write from that which I am most familiar with. Seeing as the thread title was 'Does 'A' church' I approached it from 'A' church perspective -- the RC one.

And to further clarify, NO church, temple, mosque, etc., which enjoys a tax-free status, has the right to advocate or engage in political action on it's tax-free property. If said religious entity desires to go that route, it should forfeit the tax-free status.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times
Quote:
some call for the churches that help illegal aliens to have criminal charges placed against them.

some call for the tax exempt status to be revoked

some dont know what to do...

my point is who gets to choose. who get to lable the struggle as just and moral.

The Church or the Government.
You've asked the question, what's your opinion?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I write from that which I am most familiar with. Seeing as the thread title was 'Does 'A' church' I approached it from 'A' church perspective -- the RC one.

And to further clarify, NO church, temple, mosque, etc., which enjoys a tax-free status, has the right to advocate or engage in political action on it's tax-free property. If said religious entity desires to go that route, it should forfeit the tax-free status.
Stated over and over again, yes.

re: the question, who decides? It was agreed to seperate church and state, so both needs to abide. Or change the status, re: tax!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,524,330 times
Quote:

What is your obsession with Dr. King? Are you upset that he had the courage to fight for change in his country, while illegal aliens lack such fortitude? And, how is he relevant to the discussion of illegal immigration? Unlike these so-called religious leaders, Dr. King wasn’t an advocate for black citizens simply to increase his church coffers.

Despite your best efforts, illegal immigration is not a civil rights issue. Moreover, we aren’t discussing the rights of citizens; we are discussing the illegal presence of millions of foreigners. Apples and oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration