Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
OBH: I understand your concerns as well but; the alternative may be more ghastly.........read that a collapsed Mexico on a par with either Haiti or, worse, Afghanistan.

I still keep having a sneaking suspicion that a few more stars will be added to Old Glory when the dust settles.
Personally, I hope that never happens. I think any part of Mexico becoming a part of us would be a big mistake for many reasons.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
OBH: I understand your concerns as well but; the alternative may be more ghastly.........read that a collapsed Mexico on a par with either Haiti or, worse, Afghanistan.

I still keep having a sneaking suspicion that a few more stars will be added to Old Glory when the dust settles.
I wasn't thinking in those terms; what you've written makes logical sense.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Personally, I hope that never happens. I think any part of Mexico becoming a part of us would be a big mistake for many reasons.
'War' gaming it here:

I share your concerns as well but am looking at a (probably) rapidly approaching fait accompli. Suffice to say: if we wind up with part of Mexico; Mx states like Sonora, Nuevo Leon, Baja (both Del Norte and Sur) along with Chihuahua and Tamalpais (sp) may not be a bad thing since all of the above are either touching the USA and/or have a lot of industry (NL) but Chiapas, Nayaret, Sinaloa, etc. would be a net liability.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
'War' gaming it here:

I share your concerns as well but am looking at a (probably) rapidly approaching fait accompli. Suffice to say: if we wind up with part of Mexico; Mx states like Sonora, Nuevo Leon, Baja (both Del Norte and Sur) along with Chihuahua and Tamalpais (sp) may not be a bad thing since all of the above are either touching the USA and/or have a lot of industry (NL) but Chiapas, Nayaret, Sinaloa, etc. would be a net liability.
I fail to see how this will stop the drug cartels though. They will just move further south. My other concerns are that we will have more cultural clash and dilution of our own culture by acquiring parts of Mexico. The reconquistas have been claiming stolen land for some time now. If we incorporate more Mexican territory into our country it will just fuel those resentments even more.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:55 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I fail to see how this will stop the drug cartels though. They will just move further south. My other concerns are that we will have more cultural clash and dilution of our own culture by acquiring parts of Mexico. The reconquistas have been claiming stolen land for some time now. If we incorporate more Mexican territory into our country it will just fuel those resentments even more.
If Mexico or any other previously occupying Nation wants certain parts of the US back we can swap. How about some beach front.

I'd like a nice villa about the bay of LA.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:10 AM
Yac

6,050 posts, read 7,724,162 times
This is not an illegal immigration issue. Not every crime south of the border is.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.