Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:49 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
This is difficult for me to understand. Wouldn't the restaurants have to withhold money for SS and Medicare contributions, including the matching funds from the employer? Wouldn't this necessitate a SS number to link to for the employment? Assuming these to be true, wouldn't the employer still be required to issue a W-2 to the employee, and report the earnings to IRS?

If this is accurate, how could IRS split out who was illegal and who isn't? Doesn't it just come down to filing your tax returns, and doing them in a timely manner?
If an employee is working under someone else’s SS# and/or stolen identity they usually file exempt or claim so many dependants there is little if any taxes to be taken out. If the employee is working for cash there are no taxes taken out and the employer does not have to pay any of the cost associated with an employee (workman’s comp; etc). Sometimes the employer will deduct what should be the normal taxes from a cash employee and pocket that.

There are many unscrupulous employers aided by the ability to hire illegal immigrants that do not issue a W-2 to the employee or report the earnings to IRS. This leads to unfair competition in the market place, putting businesses that play by the book out of business.

Now do they pay an illegal less then a legal citizen? Rarely. There are so many restaurants that if they do not pay the going wage they will just lose, even that illegal immigrant worker, to another business after they have spent the time and cost of training them.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:53 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
If illegals can wreck a big state like CA's budget, it's scary to think what can happen to VA or NC if these illegals continue to stay.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
If illegals can wreck a big state like CA's budget, it's scary to think what can happen to VA or NC if these illegals continue to stay.
I think we will see real quick what illegal immigration will do for Alexandria, Va. They have recently opened their arms wide to illegals and people are spreading the word to illegals to go there.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I think we will see real quick what illegal immigration will do for Alexandria, Va. They have recently opened their arms wide to illegals and people are spreading the word to illegals to go there.
actually they've been offering services they just voted to keep extending those services. trust me citigirl they've already gotten the word long ago and they are here with a vengence. I live in Alexandria and right when i moved here in 04 i saw the problem getting worse and worse. Now if you drive down a street called Mt. Vernon Ave in Alexandria youll think you are in Mexico. Why you see under my name future EX-NoVA resident.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
This is difficult for me to understand. Wouldn't the restaurants have to withhold money for SS and Medicare contributions, including the matching funds from the employer? Wouldn't this necessitate a SS number to link to for the employment? Assuming these to be true, wouldn't the employer still be required to issue a W-2 to the employee, and report the earnings to IRS?

If this is accurate, how could IRS split out who was illegal and who isn't? Doesn't it just come down to filing your tax returns, and doing them in a timely manner?
The IRS doesn't care if you're illegal or not; illegals apply for ITINs all the time so they can file tax returns in order to secure mortgages and to qualify for social security on the off-chance that they'll be legalized. If that doesn't demonstrate to people that we have a serious effing problem in this country, I don't know what will.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:16 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
The IRS doesn't care if you're illegal or not; illegals apply for ITINs all the time so they can file tax returns in order to secure mortgages and to qualify for social security on the off-chance that they'll be legalized. If that doesn't demonstrate to people that we have a serious effing problem in this country, I don't know what will.
No, I suppose they don't care who's illegal, but they don know who to come after if they want to get paid, and it won't be an illegal.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
No, I suppose they don't care who's illegal, but they don know who to come after if they want to get paid, and it won't be an illegal.
They don't bother chasing illegals usually; they know they won't get a penny.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
actually they've been offering services they just voted to keep extending those services. trust me citigirl they've already gotten the word long ago and they are here with a vengence. I live in Alexandria and right when i moved here in 04 i saw the problem getting worse and worse. Now if you drive down a street called Mt. Vernon Ave in Alexandria youll think you are in Mexico. Why you see under my name future EX-NoVA resident.
Sorry to hear it. Believe me I know how they can bring an area down. I sold the house of my dreams before we lost all our eguity. My old neighborhood is now on the do not move there list.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Well. I'm humbled...those illegals must be working even HARDER than I'd imagined! Because if it's true that they're costing California $1183 per household every year, they must be BENEFITING each household $1184--or more---since we all know that "ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS ACTUALLY CAUSE A NET BENEFIT TO THE US" (Isn't that what we're told?). It seems to me, that, rather that fight this thing, we should all encourage even MORE illegal immigration. At some point, according to the conventional wisdom, they'd be BENEFITTING us so much we'd all be RICH !!! Anyone with me on this?....

Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Sorry to hear it. Believe me I know how they can bring an area down. I sold the house of my dreams before we lost all our eguity. My old neighborhood is now on the do not move there list.
don't be sorry, my family is only renting here (thank the lord.) we are planning to blow this sanctuary city and area once and for all. but sadly my prospective home, NC (or anywhere else i go) may be flooded with them illegals too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration