U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2010, 10:55 AM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Reputation: 6264

Advertisements

Number of illegal immigrants getting in-state tuition for Texas colleges rises | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

"..12,138 students – about 1 percent of all Texas college students – benefited from the state law granting in-state tuition, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Most of the immigrants among those students are illegal..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,116,734 times
Reputation: 302
Maybe Texas should take a look at California.. Here Illegal Aliens have received "in state" tuition and now students, unions, teachers, school employees, etc.. are marching and upset that education is going bankrupt..

International students are required to pay extremely high rates, illegal aliens should be considered, if at all, International students..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 12:58 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453
I saw protests last night on the news, yes, legal students are very upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 01:30 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I saw protests last night on the news, yes, legal students are very upset.
They are angry about cut in grants and student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 05:02 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17688
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Maybe Texas should take a look at California.. Here Illegal Aliens have received "in state" tuition and now students, unions, teachers, school employees, etc.. are marching and upset that education is going bankrupt..

International students are required to pay extremely high rates, illegal aliens should be considered, if at all, International students..
Many here live in Mex and go to our local schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Number of illegal immigrants getting in-state tuition for Texas colleges rises | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

"..12,138 students – about 1 percent of all Texas college students – benefited from the state law granting in-state tuition, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Most of the immigrants among those students are illegal..."
Rick Perry signed the law. we dont freak out here on texas if some kids are getting an education.

Texas is not Arizona or California...and dont want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 AM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Rick Perry signed the law. we dont freak out here on texas if some kids are getting an education.

Texas is not Arizona or California...and dont want to be.
I don't know which part of Texas you are from, but here in Houston there are plenty who are enraged. As far as not being California? Texas is quickly becoming the cesspool the beautiful state of California has become due to the massive, MASSIVE influx of illegal aliens.

You say "some kids"? This is in 04/05-I am sure the numbers have jumped considerably since then.

In the 2004/5 school year, Texas had about 690,000 ESL students. Nationally, there are an estimated 5.1 million ESL students speaking 145 languages. 80% of ESL students speak Spanish. If 90% of the ESL students are children of illegal aliens then the education costs for children of illegal aliens is about $34.5 billion per year.

Impacts of Illegal Immigration: Education
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.3d35b14.html

Last edited by getout; 03-18-2010 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Rick Perry signed the law. we dont freak out here on texas if some kids are getting an education.

Texas is not Arizona or California...and dont want to be.
I bet you’ll “freak out” when your own kids are denied a quality education due to massive illegal immigration and staggering budget deficits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I don't know which part of Texas you are from, but here in Houston there are plenty who are enraged. As far as not being California? Texas is quickly becoming the cesspool the beautiful state of California has become due to the massive, MASSIVE influx of illegal aliens.

You say "some kids"? This is in 04/05-I am sure the numbers have jumped considerably since then.

In the 2004/5 school year, Texas had about 690,000 ESL students. Nationally, there are an estimated 5.1 million ESL students speaking 145 languages. 80% of ESL students speak Spanish. If 90% of the ESL students are children of illegal aliens then the education costs for children of illegal aliens is about $34.5 billion per year.

Impacts of Illegal Immigration: Education
Number of illegal immigrants getting in-state tuition for Texas colleges rises | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News
Well its bad every where you live.

Are you a Native of Houston? are you a Texas Native, You chose to live in Houston. If you Hate the state so much...

I Love Texas...I love that we are nothing like California, or Arizona. And are far-far from becomming anything like those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Well its bad every where you live.

Are you a Native of Houston? are you a Texas Native, You chose to live in Houston. If you Hate the state so much...

I Love Texas...I love that we are nothing like California, or Arizona. And are far-far from becomming anything like those states.
If you have a large illegal population, you are indeed well on your way to becoming another California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top