Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,049,532 times

Advertisements

From my understanding the main three anti-illegal immigration groups the SPLC has criticized (as in criticized in detailed written reports) are CIS, FAIR, and NumbersUSA - The SPLC accuses all three groups as having been founded by one group of people to promote an agenda while the group tries to make others believe that the three groups are independent - The SPLC also accuses all three of having ties to White supremacy movement - The Nativist Lobby: Three Faces of Intolerance | Southern Poverty Law Center

And the SPLC praised the Immigration Policy Center
* CIS: The "Independent" Think Tank | Southern Poverty Law Center "a Washington, D.C., organization that uses well-known scholars to produce reports on immigration-related issues and has debunked many of the studies issued by CIS."
** The immigration policy center's website is Immigration Policy Center

As for a total listing of groups it marks as anti-immigrant, it maintains a map here: Hate Map | Southern Poverty Law Center

This is the SPLC's explanation for "anti-immigrant": Anti-Immigrant | Southern Poverty Law Center

"Although many groups criticize high levels of immigration and some (categorized by the Southern Poverty Law Center as “nativist extremist” groups) typically confront or harass individual immigrants and their supporters, anti-immigrant hate groups generally go further by pushing racist propaganda." - so the SPLC's criteria for labeling a group as "anti-immigrant" is whether it submits what the SPLC deems to be racist propaganda. Groups that do not do that, in the view of the SPLC, would be labeled "nativist extremist."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The SPLC, in tandem with La Raza, launched a campaign against ALL opponents of illegal immigration. The CIS and FAIR aren't their only targets.
The SPLC goes after hate groups based on many ethnic groups - For instance it wrote a detailed report criticizing the Nation of Islam. http://www.splcenter.org/get-informe...ation-of-islam

If any pro-keeping illegal immigrants in the USA groups actively try to excuse or cover up racism, that itself should be criticized. I am disgusted with what the Latino hate groups have done to African-Americans in parts of Los Angeles.
Quote:
I’m glad you mentioned the incident in LA. Most pro-illegals vehemently deny these allegations. It’s interesting that they believe the SPLC regarding anti-illegal organizations, yet consider their claims against Latinos as unfounded. What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 06:45 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,865,379 times
I've worked with and know a lot of Latinos and most of the anti-black sentiment is not from Illegal aliens.Even though at times there are a lot of misunderstandings between Blacks and Latinos. Illegal Mexicans and Central Americans are generally not where it's coming from.You will find the most virulent anti black sentiment comes from American born Latino's usually of Mexican descent,I'm not saying they all feel that way but it is generally from this group.Most Latinos generally don't feel this way.But if you go into the Latino gangbanging sub culture you'll find a lot of them that do.
What fosters a lot of this is the gang bangers in both ethnic groups.A good friend of mine that used to have to catch the bus home to Inglewood at night, would tell me how African American gangbangers would rob Latinos pushing palleta(Ice cream) carts and people waiting at bus stops and how Latino bangers would shoot at Black people minding their own busines .A lot of this would lead to tit for tat crimes between them and usually innocent people in both groups would be the victims. This inter ethnic feud is really entrenched in California's prison system and is fostering even more ill will outside.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 PM

I had friends tell me that the prison system had horrible race relations. People tell me "Don't go to prison" (I wasn't committing any crimes or doing anything outrageous - I just asked friends about it, and they told me this)

The prison officials need to destroy the current prison culture by ensuring that prison guards are not corrupt and to ensure that they can monitor any conversation anywhere - Perhaps put microphones and cameras everywhere and have data centers where people are paid to listen and watch - also prison guards have microphones on their badges - When "Big Brother" is everywhere, prisoners can't keep anything a secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
This inter ethnic feud is really entrenched in California's prison system and is fostering even more ill will outside.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:12 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,865,379 times
I agree,but the ACLU would probably sue.Even people that don't want to get involved are forced to under the threat of violence and/or death.Shot callers in prison also control the drug trade and gangs on the outside.Entrenched Latino prison gangs are the ones responsible for the most recent attacks on African Americans that they perceive to be "tresspassing" on their turf.Southern and Northern Latino prison gangs war against each other also.

Last edited by antarez; 03-19-2010 at 11:00 PM..

Old 03-20-2010, 07:06 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,531,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
From my understanding the main three anti-illegal immigration groups the SPLC has criticized (as in criticized in detailed written reports) are CIS, FAIR, and NumbersUSA - The SPLC accuses all three groups as having been founded by one group of people to promote an agenda while the group tries to make others believe that the three groups are independent - The SPLC also accuses all three of having ties to White supremacy movement - The Nativist Lobby: Three Faces of Intolerance | Southern Poverty Law Center

And the SPLC praised the Immigration Policy Center
* CIS: The "Independent" Think Tank | Southern Poverty Law Center "a Washington, D.C., organization that uses well-known scholars to produce reports on immigration-related issues and has debunked many of the studies issued by CIS."
** The immigration policy center's website is Immigration Policy Center

As for a total listing of groups it marks as anti-immigrant, it maintains a map here: Hate Map | Southern Poverty Law Center

This is the SPLC's explanation for "anti-immigrant": Anti-Immigrant | Southern Poverty Law Center

"Although many groups criticize high levels of immigration and some (categorized by the Southern Poverty Law Center as “nativist extremist†groups) typically confront or harass individual immigrants and their supporters, anti-immigrant hate groups generally go further by pushing racist propaganda." - so the SPLC's criteria for labeling a group as "anti-immigrant" is whether it submits what the SPLC deems to be racist propaganda. Groups that do not do that, in the view of the SPLC, would be labeled "nativist extremist."

The SPLC goes after hate groups based on many ethnic groups - For instance it wrote a detailed report criticizing the Nation of Islam. Nation of Islam | Southern Poverty Law Center

If any pro-keeping illegal immigrants in the USA groups actively try to excuse or cover up racism, that itself should be criticized. I am disgusted with what the Latino hate groups have done to African-Americans in parts of Los Angeles.
At the SPLC website under the caption “Hate and Extremism†is a snippet from their list of “hate groups.†I wasn’t sure if “border vigilantes†referred to the Minutemen or not, because it was rather cryptic. Unlike the others, which the SPLC mentions by organization name, it was almost a subliminal message. It gave me the impression that they wanted to include this organization, but lacked any credible evidence, or anything they could possibly use to depict them as being racist.

After delving further into this issue, I located a section which lists the organizations “American Border Patrol/American Patrol.†They didn’t include a disclaimer, so again, an assumption could be made that this is in fact the Minutemen, which it is not.

Groups | Southern Poverty Law Center

There have been documented incidents of the Minutemen saving the lives of illegal aliens, so they certainly can’t be considered a hate group. Members of a hate group would have laughed as they watched them die. Yet, the SPLC plants the seed among unsuspecting readers, because they realize most associate border vigilantism with the Minutemen. IMO, this deliberate, yet subtle implication, discredits these self-touted avengers of the victims of hate.

Given that there are more than enough legitimate hate groups, I can only surmise that the SPLC has a hidden agenda regarding the anti-illegal group the Minutemen. I believe the cursory reference to “border vigilantes†-- rather than a formal indictment, speaks volumes. Why didn’t they list these border groups by name as they did others, and why did they not include a disclaimer to remove any doubt that they are not referring to the Minutemen?

In addition, they list “anti-immigrant†groups in general. If you notice, their description is vague. They deliberately state “immigrant†as opposed to “illegal alien.†They employ the same tactics as most pro-illegals who prefer the euphemisms “immigrant†or “undocumented.†According to the SPLC ANYONE who opposes illegal aliens aka “immigrants†qualifies as being hate-mongers.

Quote:
Anti-immigrant hate groups are the most extreme of the hundreds of nativist and vigilante groups that have proliferated since the late 1990s, when anti-immigration xenophobia began to rise to levels not seen in the United States since the 1920s.
Search | Southern Poverty Law Center

While I acknowledge and commend the SPLC for their work combating the KKK and other overtly racist organizations, the legitimacy of their past or current targets does not give them a free pass to deliberately mischaracterize opponents of illegal immigration. Clearly, this is their strategy to demonize anti-illegals and portray us as being haters of “immigrants.†With that, they lose all credibility.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,295,095 times
Quote:
At the SPLC website under the caption “Hate and Extremism†is a snippet from their list of “hate groups.†I wasn’t sure if “border vigilantes†referred to the Minutemen or not, because it was rather cryptic. Unlike the others, which the SPLC mentions by organization name, it was almost a subliminal message. It gave me the impression that they wanted to include this organization, but lacked any credible evidence, or anything they could possibly use to depict them as being racist.

After delving further into this issue, I located a section which lists the organizations “American Border Patrol/American Patrol.†They didn’t include a disclaimer, so again, an assumption could be made that this is in fact the Minutemen, which it is not.

Groups | Southern Poverty Law Center

There have been documented incidents of the Minutemen saving the lives of illegal aliens, so they certainly can’t be considered a hate group. Members of a hate group would have laughed as they watched them die. Yet, the SPLC plants the seed among unsuspecting readers, because they realize most associate border vigilantism with the Minutemen. IMO, this deliberate, yet subtle implication, discredits these self-touted avengers of the victims of hate.

Given that there are more than enough legitimate hate groups, I can only surmise that the SPLC has a hidden agenda regarding the anti-illegal group the Minutemen. I believe the cursory reference to “border vigilantes†-- rather than a formal indictment, speaks volumes. Why didn’t they list these border groups by name as they did others, and why did they not include a disclaimer to remove any doubt that they are not referring to the Minutemen?

In addition, they list “anti-immigrant†groups in general. If you notice, their description is vague. They deliberately state “immigrant†as opposed to “illegal alien.†They employ the same tactics as most pro-illegals who prefer the euphemisms “immigrant†or “undocumented.†According to the SPLC ANYONE who opposes illegal aliens aka “immigrants†qualifies as being hate-mongers.

Search | Southern Poverty Law Center

While I acknowledge and commend the SPLC for their work combating the KKK and other overtly racist organizations, the legitimacy of their past or current targets does not give them a free pass to deliberately mischaracterize opponents of illegal immigration. Clearly, this is their strategy to demonize anti-illegals and portray us as being haters of “immigrants.†With that, they lose all credibility.
Your summation of the SPLC's agenda is right on, Benicar.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM

On what grounds would they sue?

As a note, newer prison design is trying to make it easier for the guards who are there to more easily watch inmates so they cannot hide things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I agree,but the ACLU would probably sue.Even people that don't want to get involved are forced to under the threat of violence and/or death.Shot callers in prison also control the drug trade and gangs on the outside.Entrenched Latino prison gangs are the ones responsible for the most recent attacks on African Americans that they perceive to be "tresspassing" on their turf.Southern and Northern Latino prison gangs war against each other also.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 PM

264 posts, read 456,916 times
Quote:
Read the findings. . .

Immigration & the SPLC: New Report Finds Stopping 'Hate' Is Really about Stopping Debate - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20100318/pl_usnw/DC72554_1 - broken link)
This is a well-documented article and, at a minimum, demonstrates the kinds of tactics currently being employed by the Open Borders Lobby to stifle opponents and redefine the terms of the illegal immigration debate.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,828,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post
This is a well-documented article and, at a minimum, demonstrates the kinds of tactics currently being employed by the Open Borders Lobby to stifle opponents and redefine the terms of the illegal immigration debate.
2 questions

1) who is the open border lobby groups

2) how do they redifine terms of illegal immigration debate?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, I found the listing of a list of groups that the SPLC criticizes in detail. Aside from CIS, FAIR, and Numbers USA, the total listing of hate groups (not the hate group map, but the listing of groups with profiles) is here: Groups | Southern Poverty Law Center

So the groups the SPLC defines as anti-immigrant include:
* American Border Patrol/American Patrol of Sierra Vista, Arizona: American Border Patrol/American Patrol | Southern Poverty Law Center
* California Coalition for Immigration Reform of Huntington Beach, California: California Coalition for Immigration Reform | Southern Poverty Law Center
* VDare (categorized as White Nationalist, but the article also refers to "anti-immigration"): VDARE | Southern Poverty Law Center

Individuals that the SPLC defines as anti-immigrant include:
* Peter Brimelow of VDare: Peter Brimelow | Southern Poverty Law Center (he is categorized as "White Nationalist" but the article also refers to "anti-immigration")
* Barbara Coe of the California Coalition for Immigration Reform: Barbara Coe | Southern Poverty Law Center
* Wayne Lutton: Wayne Lutton | Southern Poverty Law Center
* Glenn Spencer of the American Border Patrol: Glenn Spencer | Southern Poverty Law Center
* John Tanton of FAIR, CIS, and NumbersUSA: John Tanton | Southern Poverty Law Center

Other than these, there aren't any more groups with specific profiles

As for groups calling themselves "Minutemen" - There is one document where the SPLC criticizes a gathering of the "MinuteMan Project" here: http://www.splcenter.org/get-informe...izona-showdown

In this one Jim Gilchrist, who founded the Minutemen group, expressed disappointment regarding what the SPLC calls "extremist groups"
From the article:
Quote:
"In retrospect, had I seen this, had I had a crystal ball to see what is going to happen… . Am I happy? No," Gilchrist told the Orange County Register last June 25. "Am I happy at the outcome of this whole movement? I am very, very sad, very disappointed."
The SPLC also says "Organizations identified by the Intelligence Report as nativist extremist are groups that go after people, not policy. Rather than limiting themselves to advocating within the mainstream political process for tighter border security, stricter immigration controls or tougher enforcement of immigration laws already on the books, these fringe outfits target and confront immigrants as individuals." http://www.splcenter.org/get-informe...ter-intentions

SPLC calls the "Minuteman Civil Defense Corps" "nativist extremist" http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2010/0...der-criminals/

Last edited by Vicman; 03-31-2010 at 07:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration