Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:53 AM

50,233 posts, read 46,991,184 times

Advertisements

George F. Will: Citizenship a birthright? Maybe not, scholar says » The Commercial Appeal

It's time to put an end to the abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 11:59 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
It is waaaaaaay past time to end this travesty.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:45 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,658 times
This is just a re-hash of the same arguements. Yes illegal immigration was not a problem back in the 1880's; Yes the authours of the 14th didnt have anyway of forseeing the immigration problems of today; Which had the effect of... in fact "Grandfathered" in illegal aliens for Birthright Citizenship.

Since illegal aliens were not expressly denied citizenship in the language of the document as were the children of Foreign Ambassordors and American Indians, then all other cases of birthright citizenship including mothers delivering their child regardless of her citizenship were accepted and set into precedent.

Remember durring Colonial through 1880's foreigners were allowed to travel freely to and inside the US. Their US born children were granted US citizenship.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:47 PM

50,233 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
This is just a re-hash of the same arguements. Yes illegal immigration was not a problem back in the 1880's; Yes the authours of the 14th didnt have anyway of forseeing the immigration problems of today; Which had the effect of... in fact "Grandfathered" in illegal aliens for Birthright Citizenship.

Since illegal aliens were not expressly denied citizenship in the language of the document as were the children of Foreign Ambassortors and American Indians, then all other cases of birthright citizenship including mothers delivering their child regardless of her citizenship were accepted and set into precedent.

Remember durring Colonial through 1880's foreigners were allowed to travel freely to and inside the US. Their US born children were granted US citizenship.
What is your take on the 14th? Do you wish to keep it with the loophole or not? I want the loophole closed.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:58 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,308 times
The abuse is vulgar and obscene thus by forcing us to rescind.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Who in the Senate or House is willing to draw up such legislation? Has anyone done so in the recent past?

blacknight04, you sound like a liberal talking-point with your false anti-immigration rhetoric. People are against illegal immigration, not immigration when it is done by the books. What part of illegal do you fail to understand?

We are a nation of laws and we expect our government to enforce those laws. When they refuse, it is time to make the law stronger.

What am I willing to give up? I'm willing to see my city rid of the violent crimes by illegals who are also gang members. I'm willing to see my emergency rooms freed up a bit and my medical casts reduced as a result of no illegals using the ERs and then walking out on their bills. I'm willing to see all citizens be able to afford an education rather than see the children of illegals be given lower tuition than are law abiding citizens to many state universities. Do you want a longer list blacknight04?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
This evening DH and I watched To Sir With Love. DH asked what had become of SiDney Poitier, and when I looked him up, I found this:
Sidney Poitier - Biography
Quote:
A native of Cat Island, The Bahamas, (though born in Miami during a mainland visit by his parents), Poitier grew up in poverty as the son of a dirt farmer....Appointed an Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1974. Although this is often mistaken to have been an honorary knighthood, it is actually a substantive knighthood, as Poitier is a citizen of The Bahamas, a Commonwealth realm which at the time of his appointment recognized the British Honours System.
Why is it that when an illegal has a baby in the USA, they are American citizens but while Sidney Poitier was born here of foreign parents, he is not?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This evening DH and I watched To Sir With Love. DH asked what had become of SiDney Poitier, and when I looked him up, I found this:
Sidney Poitier - Biography

Why is it that when an illegal has a baby in the USA, they are American citizens but while Sidney Poitier was born here of foreign parents, he is not?
Very interesting indeed. Perhaps because the government wasn’t trying to ensure a steady crop of cheap labor when he was born.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What is your take on the 14th? Do you wish to keep it with the loophole or not? I want the loophole closed.
what loop hole, the Constitution just is...

If you want to end illegal aliens' children form becomming US citizens at birth, then that has to be added to the language of the Constitution.

The percedent which allows it has already been set. The Supreme Courts does not reverse current intrepretation without a specific case in Law to review.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
what loop hole, the Constitution just is...

If you want to end illegal aliens' children form becomming US citizens at birth, then that has to be added to the language of the Constitution.

The percedent which allows it has already been set. The Supreme Courts does not reverse current intrepretation without a specific case in Law to review.
Perhaps you can explain post #11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration