Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You For Amnesty For The Illegals
yes 25 11.11%
no 185 82.22%
other 6 2.67%
not sure 9 4.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:16 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You are claiming the issue is simply a matter of status? That is, are you claiming they pick and choose who may enter by position of class?
My bad. I used the word "status" in the sense of legal or immigration status - for instance, someone married to a US citizen has a legal status that makes it possible for them to be considered for an immigration visa. I can see how that could be misunderstood - I think you're interpreting "status" as social status. I was being unclear, my apologies.

So, back on track: Most illegal immigrants do not have a legal status that would allow them to enter the US. A skilled Mexican carpenter (or Australian bartender, or Swiss clockmaker, for that matter) has no process to follow that'll grant them permission to reside and work in the US. It's not that they're ignoring the option of legally immigrating - it is, in practical terms, an impossibility. I'm not saying this excuses anything, but it is a pertinent data point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 05:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
My bad. I used the word "status" in the sense of legal or immigration status - for instance, someone married to a US citizen has a legal status that makes it possible for them to be considered for an immigration visa. I can see how that could be misunderstood - I think you're interpreting "status" as social status. I was being unclear, my apologies.

So, back on track: Most illegal immigrants do not have a legal status that would allow them to enter the US. A skilled Mexican carpenter (or Australian bartender, or Swiss clockmaker, for that matter) has no process to follow that'll grant them permission to reside and work in the US. It's not that they're ignoring the option of legally immigrating - it is, in practical terms, an impossibility. I'm not saying this excuses anything, but it is a pertinent data point.
Really?
EB-3 Visa - EB-3 Green Card - US Employment Immigration Visas, Professionals, Skilled Workers, Application

Old 04-03-2010, 05:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I just think it's too harsh. What we need is immigration reform. When Reagan gave amnesty to 3M illegal immigrants - this was not addressed. I think ten years is far too long to have to wait to become a citizen. Yes, they should pay a fine for restitution.

I am for amnesty and realize I am in the minority on this issue. We have to live in the reality of our times. Most are hardworking, decent people who have contributed to our country.

Mexicans are OUR neighbors. We need to start acting like it. It serves no purpose to make illegal aliens the kicking post for ALL our woes.
oh sure, let's be really nice to all those from south of the border, next you are going to suggest we smile at the drug cartell as they move into Texas and AZ...No, most are not hard working decent people: some are, but I certainly don't think most are.

Nita

Old 04-03-2010, 06:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Achievement in the school (grades, activities, civic volunteering, etc.), having a job and working hard is more than just attendance and free lunch. And, these kids aren't in their parent's country to attend those schools you refer to. I feel bad for them but I must say, the parents put them in this spot and they tick me off. But as for the kids, the US is more their country than their parent's home country. As has been said many a time, the companies/corporations/owners hiring folks here illegally need to be punished more severely. IMO
I agree that the employers should face stiff punishment - but I don't agree with the drama queens that pretend there are no schools in Mexico and these kids learn Spanish as their first and primary language so it's not as though language would be a problem when they go back home.

In fact the schools in Mexico can be as good or better than schools here, and Mexico has some excellent universities, which are also state subsidized and even tuition free in many of them.

If the child goes home with his/her parents, it's not the end of the world, they can attend school there and if they're bright enough can attend a university in their own country.

So as for the kids of illegals, they even have McDonalds, Walmarts and Burger Kings back home -- it's not like it's going to the moon or Mars.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
What I find interesting is how many American students happily pay money and go and study in Mexican universities even knowing little Spanish, even if for a few semesters only while the Mexicans living here will act as though their universities don't exist or that it would be horrible to attend one there.

Mexico has perfectly modern cities, and television, internet, movies -- the whole works. Living in Mexico is not the horror the illegals like to claim it is. American students arrive at Mexican universities often knowing little Spanish and in no time are fitting in - enjoying their time there - so for Mexicans to claim their own students could never adapt to their own country is beyond absurd.

Universidad de Guadalajara

UNAM - Portal de la Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 04-03-2010, 06:48 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Yes, really.

The EB-3 requires your intended employer to file quite a bit of paperwork, including a "labor certification" - which translates to the Department of Labor agreeing that the job can't be filled locally. (In USCIS parlance:"no qualified U.S. workers able, willing, qualified and available to accept the job at the prevailing wage for that occupation in the area of intended employment and that employment of the alien will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers.")

In practice, EB-3 is used by architects, engineers and suchlike. Not carpenters or bartenders. The clockmaker from my example might have been able to argue his case, so consider that retracted.

Even so, there's a considerable backlog. It is a rare blue-collar worker who can get an employer to deal with this sort of hassle.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
All of you conservatives who voted "no": remember that it was your hero, Ronald Reagan, who put us into this position with the first amnesty in 1986.

1. The Reagan Amnesty granted a blanket Amnesty to Illegal Aliens.
FALSE
The Reagan Amnesty wasn’t for all Illegal Aliens, there were many requirements that had to be met for Illegals to be eligible. Among them were certain residency requirements, no felony convictions, less than three misdemeanor convictions, medical examinations, etc. They can be found in the following subsection:
"Sec. 245A. (a) Temporary Resident Status.--The Attorney General shall adjust the status of an alien to that of an alien lawfully admitted for temporary residence if the alien meets the following requirements:
2. The Reagan Amnesty granted automatic citizenship to Illegal Aliens.
FALSE
As seen above in Section 245A., the adjustment of status for Illegal Aliens was to admission for “temporary residence.”
3. The Reagan Amnesty granted citizenship to some Illegal Aliens.
FALSE
Again, as seen above in Section 245A., the adjustment of status for Illegal Aliens was to admission for “temporary residence.”
4. The Reagan Amnesty granted automatic permanent residence (green cards) to Illegal Aliens.
FALSE
Once again, as seen above in Section 245A., the adjustment of status for Illegal Aliens was to admission for temporary residence.”
For permanent residence requirements, one must go to Section 245(b):
"(b) Subsequent Adjustment to Permanent Residence and Nature of Temporary Resident Status.--
The adjustment to permanent residence for legalized Illegals wasn’t “automatic,” they had to be legalized as temporary workers first, and subsequently adjusted to permanent status. For adjustment to permanent status, the legalized-Illegal had to apply between eighteen and thirty months after being granted his temporary residence, under Section 245(b).1.A.

5. The Reagan Amnesty granted immediate permanent residence (green cards) to some Illegal Aliens.
FALSE

And yet again, as seen above in Section 245A., the adjustment of status for Illegal Aliens was to admission for temporary residence.”
Same 245(b)(1)(A) applies: requirements for all Illegals adjusted to temporary residence, as seen above at Question #4, before being granted permanent residence.
6. The Reagan Amnesty was granted to Illegal Aliens, free of charge.
FALSE
Illegal Aliens had to pay a fee to be legalized as temporary residents, under Section 245(c)(7)(A) :
"(7) Application fees.--

"(A) Fee schedule.--The Attorney General shall provide for a schedule of fees to be charged for the filing of applications for adjustment under subsection (a) or (b)(1).
Bonus Question:

The Reagan Amnesty mentions the word “Amnesty.”
FALSE
Do the word search on Title II, Section 201 (http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/inserts/publaw/publaw-158/publaw-1243?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm#publaw-pl99603ii201 - broken link)yourself.
Or scroll below, where I’ve posted the entire Section of the legislation that is devoted to Legalization of Status for Illegal Aliens.
Double Secret Bonus Question:

The word “Amnesty” is mentioned in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
FALSE
Go ahead; search every Title and Section of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. (http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/inserts/publaw/publaw-158?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm - broken link)
The Reagan Amnesty didn’t call itself an Amnesty, anywhere in the legislation.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
1. The Reagan Amnesty granted a blanket Amnesty to Illegal Aliens.
FALSE
The Reagan Amnesty wasn’t for all Illegal Aliens, there were many requirements that had to be met for Illegals to be eligible. Among them were certain residency requirements, no felony convictions, less than three misdemeanor convictions, medical examinations, etc. They can be found in the following subsection:
"Sec. 245A. (a) Temporary Resident Status.--The Attorney General shall adjust the status of an alien to that of an alien lawfully admitted for temporary residence if the alien meets the following requirements:
2. The Reagan Amnesty granted automatic citizenship to Illegal Aliens.
FALSE
As seen above in Section 245A., the adjustment of status for Illegal Aliens was to admission for “temporary residence.”
3. The Reagan Amnesty granted citizenship to some Illegal Aliens.
FALSE
Again, as seen above in Section 245A., the adjustment of status for Illegal Aliens was to admission for “temporary residence.”
4. The Reagan Amnesty granted automatic permanent residence (green cards) to Illegal Aliens.
FALSE
Once again, as seen above in Section 245A., the adjustment of status for Illegal Aliens was to admission for temporary residence.”
For permanent residence requirements, one must go to Section 245(b):
"(b) Subsequent Adjustment to Permanent Residence and Nature of Temporary Resident Status.--
The adjustment to permanent residence for legalized Illegals wasn’t “automatic,” they had to be legalized as temporary workers first, and subsequently adjusted to permanent status. For adjustment to permanent status, the legalized-Illegal had to apply between eighteen and thirty months after being granted his temporary residence, under Section 245(b).1.A.

5. The Reagan Amnesty granted immediate permanent residence (green cards) to some Illegal Aliens.
FALSE

And yet again, as seen above in Section 245A., the adjustment of status for Illegal Aliens was to admission for temporary residence.”
Same 245(b)(1)(A) applies: requirements for all Illegals adjusted to temporary residence, as seen above at Question #4, before being granted permanent residence.
6. The Reagan Amnesty was granted to Illegal Aliens, free of charge.
FALSE
Illegal Aliens had to pay a fee to be legalized as temporary residents, under Section 245(c)(7)(A) :
"(7) Application fees.--

"(A) Fee schedule.--The Attorney General shall provide for a schedule of fees to be charged for the filing of applications for adjustment under subsection (a) or (b)(1).
Bonus Question:

The Reagan Amnesty mentions the word “Amnesty.”
FALSE
Do the word search on Title II, Section 201 (http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/inserts/publaw/publaw-158/publaw-1243?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm#publaw-pl99603ii201 - broken link)yourself.
Or scroll below, where I’ve posted the entire Section of the legislation that is devoted to Legalization of Status for Illegal Aliens.
Double Secret Bonus Question:

The word “Amnesty” is mentioned in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
FALSE
Go ahead; search every Title and Section of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. (http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/inserts/publaw/publaw-158?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm - broken link)
The Reagan Amnesty didn’t call itself an Amnesty, anywhere in the legislation.
Amnesty is still amnisty no matter that there are stipulations. excuses do not change that fact.
Casper

Old 04-03-2010, 09:29 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Illegal is illegal!

DO NOT REWARD CRIMINALS!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:35 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
I am for the arrest and deportation of every single illegal in America.

They are criminal who are trespassing on our land.

End the anchor baby laws to boot.

Build huge fences ( with water, electric fences, cages, or anything that will stop anyone from crossing ) across the entire Mexico border so no one can get over them.

Use high tech to discover the tunnels and cave them in once they are found.

Place our military on the border with the orders to STOP anyone coming over the border without proper paperwork.

One door in, one door out at the central location of the entire fence.

We have had enough of the criminals coming to America and committed crime after crime and bringing their diseases and drugs with them.

Round every single one of them up, arrest them, profile them so they can never come back legally and send them back.

Any employer who hires and illegal should be totally shut down, their assets taken and the owners arrested and sent to jail for aiding criminals etc.

Any judge who allows an illegal criminal off the hook for being here and committing so many crimes needs to be removed, their law license taken away and sent to jail.

Any illegal who attempts to kill or harm any border patrol agent, any law enforcement or any agency that is trying to protect us from these criminals should get the automatic death penalty.

Harsh yes, but we need to fix this severe issue now and this is the only way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration