U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,875,667 times

Advertisements

Hispanics have the largest number of cases for TB reported among ethnic groups, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 04:13 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,347,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Can't add to that, can we folks?

Excellent post Chele.
Thanks!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:27 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,792,258 times
There was a TB breakout at a Fort Worth area suburban high school a week or two ago. Very few details, then the story seemed to die.

I'm wondering if there was an illegal connection and the media chickened out..

Old 06-14-2007, 08:23 PM

19,183 posts, read 27,746,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Hispanics have the largest number of cases for TB reported among ethnic groups, period.
And more straights are HIV-positive than gays, period. Thanks for confirming that what you care about is propaganda value, not truth-value.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:25 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Excuse me, but the white nationalist and white supremacy anti-immigrant trains have been on the tracks, but going nowhere, for quite some time.

[We are] shocked by the demands that Latinos be given instant citizenship privileges. These are the same legal and illegal immigrants who bleed our welfare and medical care programs dry for benefits that citizens are denied, destroy our educational system, and laugh at our judicial system while they grab their welfare checks with one hand, deal drugs with the other, and their gangs savagely murder our citizens.

Might have been posted by any one of you all last week, but it's actually from an interview with the notorious Barbara Coe published in the almost as notorious Washington Times in 1996. And that was hardly the first time that such rubbish words had been spoken either. No, this little 'movement' that you all believe you are spawning already has its roots in some of the worst of all American traditions stretching back for many decades. This is no history to be proud of...
The truth hurts sometimes.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM

The cost of controlling TB from Mexico!
NEJM -- Domestic Returns from Investment in the Control of Tuberculosis in Other Countries

Old 06-14-2007, 08:54 PM

19,183 posts, read 27,746,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
The cost of controlling TB from Mexico!
The cost seems to be negative, i.e. investment in TB eradication programs in Mexico, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic would result in net savings to the US. Or so says the study...

Old 06-14-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Of course you doubt it. It wouldn't fit your stereotype. You'd be surprised at the levels that illegal immigrants have attained.

You can't. If you could, 12 million illegals wouldn't be here to begin with. Compare and contrast to the glorious War on Drugs. Three decades on now, and drugs are only more widely available and cheaper than ever. How about we be just a little more pragmatic on immigration.

And is there any actual comprehensive plan that you would NOT take to be a joke? You don't want to address the problem. You want some license to vent your frustrations as you will on people who happen to be Hispanic. Not going to happen. As for what I know, I know there is no way forward at all that does not recognize the win-win result of documenting all of those whose only flaw is lack of documentation.

Well, it does not amount to Deport Them All, so it's what you all would call amnesty, that being your catch-all word for all things that are not Deport Them All. And what are all these numerous times again? IRCA? IRCA worked fine for 1986. But that was twenty years ago. Times change. You have to make more corrections. So what else goes onto the numerous pile again, and where and why did those fail?

Well, this would be no change from heretofore. Your facts have been swiss cheese. Had you presented some actual facts in proper context, I would have been a great deal more impressed.

You have no idea what either the cost or the benefit of illegals is. You have only your lying slander sites to go by. Those exaggerate the costs and ignore the benefits, none of which, you seem so certain, include any brain surgery. Since you seem to have some cranial capacity of your own, why not get that brain out of the gutter? Currently illegal immigrants are the winners of low-bid contracts let by corporate and other enities up and down the economy. What could be more free-market than that? Are you going to say that you are opposed to free markets?

No, your side does. Hispanic. Mexican. Spanish. Mexican flag. Does any of that ring a bell? Can you show me a post that uses the equivalent word for any different ethnicity, nationality, language, or emblem?

It's grammar, with two a's (a useful thing to know), and it isn't much of a debate to begin with when one side simply shovels horse manure. If some of my comments seem snide or rude or contemptuous, it's an expression of disdain for the low degree of effort that's been put by some into developing the positions and arguments I see presented here. If you want more respect, your entire side is going to have to take it up a notch. Yellow cake and aluminum tubes had more credibility than this.

You expect that I will struggle to find peace with what you are led to assume? If you want to move over into crying towel territory, I'm going to have to start talking about how I hope that God in the end will find some way to forgive you for your bearing of false witness and utter lack of Christian charity. Documenting as many as 12 million people who presently lack documents will allow them to continue providing the goods and services that you and I demand on a far more equitable and efficient basis. Deport Them All is neither equitable nor efficient.

Well, bully for you. All very noble. Now explain again how Deport Them All covers any of those bases at all. Cut at least a little mustard for us, here...
Oh please...

Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
The cost seems to be negative, i.e. investment in TB eradication programs in Mexico, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic would result in net savings to the US. Or so says the study...
The point is, why should we have to deal with this anyway? Why should it cost taxpayers? The study says if we spend this much, over the long haul- it will save this much.
If the laws were enforced, we would not have to do it!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 PM

398 posts, read 1,265,632 times
send them all to mexico. period. we shouldn't even be thinking about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or