U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2010, 03:27 PM

2,207 posts, read 1,237,042 times
I am so happy this bill is proposed. Not just for reasons of having the ability to enforce our immigration laws, but for the illegal immigrants as well. It clearly defines their options with no longer having a sanctuary mindset. No more hanging around waiting for the ghost of amnesty, they now need to make sound decisions regarding their present as well as future lives. I hope their advocates are advising them well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:35 PM

3,855 posts, read 2,348,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Yes, please question their citizenship. Question mine. I wouldn't care.
To think this is a simple question of citizenship is incorrect. You give away your rights, but dont mess with mine. The consitution allows me to be secure in my person and papers. It has nothing to do with me being pro-illegal or anti-illegal; it has everything to with the State of Arizona not having the right to do this.

The state of Arizona can wrap this in the question of immigration, but the simple facts are visible. So please dont confuse this with the simple aciton of asking one of their citizenship, it is so much more.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,109,718 times
Before you get your panties in a knot, keep in mind they're not going to be sweeping the streets for illegals. If you break the law, and don't have your i.d. you better have one somewhere to prove who you are. If not, you should go to jail. We have far too many illegals here with no ID, there's plenty of al quaida here already plotting against us. It's only a matter of time before the national ID card comes anyhow. If you don't live in Arizona, when you go there take your damn ID and deal with it.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:20 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,109,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
To think this is a simple question of citizenship is incorrect. You give away your rights, but dont mess with mine. The consitution allows me to be secure in my person and papers. It has nothing to do with me being pro-illegal or anti-illegal; it has everything to with the State of Arizona not having the right to do this.

The state of Arizona can wrap this in the question of immigration, but the simple facts are visible. So please dont confuse this with the simple aciton of asking one of their citizenship, it is so much more.
Please keep in mind that the only true rights you have are according to what the law says. When you operate outside of the law, you lose your rights. Illegals know this that's why they go underground. And it's not a violation of any sort of constitutional rights for someone to ask you what your identity is, it's not written anywhere in the constitution that it's forbidden.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:27 PM

14,307 posts, read 5,677,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post

Really? And just what rights are being violated in the course of any investigation by LE asking pertinent questions? How is this not simply LE doing their jobs? How is it so much more?

Old 04-20-2010, 05:32 PM

7,844 posts, read 9,317,292 times
This has made front page of CNN.com:

Latino lawmakers urge veto of Arizona immigration law - CNN.com

Quote:
"When you institutionalize a law like this one, you are targeting and discriminating at a wholesale level against a group of people," Rep. Raul Grijalva, D-Arizona, told reporters. Grijalva and Rep. Luis Gutierrez, the chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, said Republican Gov. Jan Brewer should veto the measure, which the state Senate approved Monday.
Personally, I think this law will backfire if passed.

Last edited by Mach50; 04-20-2010 at 05:45 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 05:46 PM

3,855 posts, read 2,348,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Please keep in mind that the only true rights you have are according to what the law says. When you operate outside of the law, you lose your rights. Illegals know this that's why they go underground. And it's not a violation of any sort of constitutional rights for someone to ask you what your identity is, it's not written anywhere in the constitution that it's forbidden.
there is no need to go any further if that is what you believe.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:46 PM

14,307 posts, read 5,677,290 times
How is this law targeting and discriminating against any group of American citizens? It isn't our fault that most illegal aliens are Latinos but that doesn't mean that LE will stop and question every Latino they see in the streets or in a car just for the purpose of asking them their status in this country.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:50 PM

7,844 posts, read 9,317,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
How is this law targeting and discriminating against any group of American citizens? It isn't our fault that most illegal aliens are Latinos but that doesn't mean that LE will stop and question every Latino they see in the streets or in a car just for the purpose of asking them their status in this country.
"enable police to exact verification of any one's immigration status with nothing but a "reasonable suspicion" that a person is undocumented." -

The law would allow it and that is too much power.

How do you enforce this law then?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 PM

4,805 posts, read 5,136,231 times
I can be pulled over for reasonable suspicion for most anything a policeman decides to pull me over for, regardless of whether or not I deem it a fair suspicion. However, if I am doing nothing wrong, chances are I will not suffer any ill consequences other than perhaps being late for my destination.

If police pull someone over on the suspicion that they are illegal--they have nothing to fear providing that they are not in violation of the law.

Enforcement has to start somewhere. Perhaps if people get tired enough of being pulled over for nothing, they'll stop enabling those who truly are illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration