Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:15 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I do fear it may be abused.
There is always potential for any law to be abused. Such is life. We don't stop enacting laws because some may abuse them.
Quote:
The Ariz Law is a law to enforce what is already State and Federal Law. Is it really needed?
Now you sound like a rightwinger opposing hate crime laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 01:19 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
According to an interview I'm watching now, 60% of AZ Hispanics support the law. Maybe they like being racially profiled? Or maybe the claim of racial profiling is bullpuckey.
There has been growing tensions between American Mexicans and the illegals and I don't think it will let up any time soon. They do see these invaders as threats to their children and their jobs. The southern Mexicans/Indians resent the Americanized Mexicans and don't hesitate to show it.

This law does not allow for ripping people off of street corners. It allows the police to pull people over who are driving badly, expired plates and allows for them to ask for their I.D. without being sued for doing their job. Our political sensitivity will be our downfall I fear.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 PM

241 posts, read 267,406 times
Why not crack down on the businesses hiring them? Also, not all libertarians are against open borders..just fyi.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:40 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
as a hispanic I can already see the slippery slope and the ensuing racial profiling to come.How are the cops supposed to verify if one is illegal or not? Even though I am a fair skinned hispanic how would I prove my US citizenship (born here) to a Arizona cop that I am a citizen? I don't carry my birth certificate or Social Security card with me!
Maybe this law will usher in the need for a national ID! I'm sure you Libertarians & conservatives would just love that huh?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:51 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirriam View Post
Why not crack down on the businesses hiring them? Also, not all libertarians are against open borders..just fyi.
Libertarian philosophy supports open borders. You don't need to check Cato to realize this, but their website spells it out.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:02 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"What no one seemed to notice. . . was the ever widening gap. . .between the government and the people. . . And it became always wider. . . the whole process of its coming into being, was above all diverting, it provided an excuse not to think for people who did not want to think anyway . . . (it) gave us some dreadful, fundamental things to think about . . .and kept us so busy with continuous changes and 'crises' and so fascinated . . . by the machinations of the 'national enemies,' without and within, that we had no time to think about these dreadful things that were growing, little by little, all around us. . .
Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, 'regretted,' that unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these 'little measures'. . . must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. . . .Each act. . . is worse than the last, but only a little worse. You wait for the next and the next. You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join you in resisting somehow.
You don't want to act, or even talk, alone. . . you don't want to 'go out of your way to make trouble.' . . .But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That's the difficulty. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays. But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed. Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves, when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed. . . .You have accepted things you would not have accepted five years ago, a year ago, things your father. . . could never have imagined." :
From Milton Mayer, They Thought They Were Free, The Germans, 1938-45 (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1955)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Not relevant.
I'd LOL if this subject wasn't so important....the quote I used is all about people like you....the ones who can't see the relevence....

Old 04-21-2010, 03:06 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
What about cracking down on the employers of illegals?..That's where the REAL problem lies..
Yes, you're right...that would end the illegals employment ....

BUT there are too many Republican/neocon Wealthy Worshippers....they believe the CEOs of these criminal companies are gods to be worshipped....BUT those CEO are the CAUSE of the problem, THEY HIRE these people and THEY should be jailed...but with their Joe-Slob Repug supporters they are safe......

Old 04-21-2010, 03:09 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You mean to say let them across the border first and chase them later?

Been working well so far, huh?
They won't be crossing the border if there's no jobs for them..

Make it a felony to hire illegals, with some real punishment behind it...and watch how fast those jobs dry up, and with it much of the illegal immigration problem..

Old 04-21-2010, 03:21 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
What about cracking down on the employers of illegals?..That's where the REAL problem lies..

Absolutely let's do it...oh but wait....if the unions get upset....which they do every time this comes up....we can't go forward...the left wouldn't ever want to upset the unions

Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The left does not support an open border policy. The left believes there are effective methods to protect our borders, without resorting to racial profiling and infringing on the civil liberties of Americans, not just those Americans that look aesthetically pleasing to the right.

90% (give or take) of illegal aliens in the USA are of what ethnicity?

If you're fishing for bass do you go to the side of the lake where the bass are or do you troll around randomly and just hope for the best?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration