U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 11:27 AM

3,845 posts, read 3,160,344 times

Advertisements

Government attorney in Los Angeles is convicted of taking bribes from illegal immigrants - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/immigration/la-me-ice-attorney-20100420,0,5805216.story - broken link) Another traitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 AM

13,043 posts, read 21,154,444 times
60 illegals listed in the couple's ledger (the wife was also already convicted on several counts) with deposits to their account in excess of $1mil.

Oh, those POOR illegals - doing the math, those 60 illegals each paid an average of over $15K each to this Benedict Arnold. I hope this guy rots in prison along with his accomplice, and I hope they go after the 60 illegals who he fradulently assisted.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,025,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
...and I hope they go after the 60 illegals who he fradulently assisted.
Including the one who turned him in? I wonder if he was a legal immigrant or an illegal immigrant, or was granted some kind of immunity.

Kallas isn't a traitor so much as a common criminal. He's just a low-life crook who dressed in a suit.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:10 PM

13,043 posts, read 21,154,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Including the one who turned him in? I wonder if he was a legal immigrant or an illegal immigrant, or was granted some kind of immunity.

Kallas isn't a traitor so much as a common criminal. He's just a low-life crook who dressed in a suit.
Why would legal immigrants need to pay off a crooked representative of the government? If there is a law that would spare the whistleblower from prosecution, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. But if they are illegal, they need to be deported either way.

I think you have an interesting interpretation of what a common criminal is. Here is a list of what the law categorizes as common crimes:

Common Criminal Offense Definitions | Lawinfo Weblog

Note the absence of federal corruption, bribery, conspiracy, identity theft, obstruction of justice and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

Nothing common about those charges - at least one would hope not. If this is commonly taking place throughout our government bodies, then heaven help us. And I don't even believe in sky daddies.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,397,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Government attorney in Los Angeles is convicted of taking bribes from illegal immigrants - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/immigration/la-me-ice-attorney-20100420,0,5805216.story - broken link) Another traitor.
[quote]Justice was done," said Assistant U.S. Atty. Raymond O. Aghaian. "This was a man who held a position of trust, and he deceived and defrauded the people he was representing — the people of this district."[/quote]

I suppose now that these illegal alien losers will now get to stay because they were wronged by a gov atty? What a country.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:35 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,025,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Why would legal immigrants need to pay off a crooked representative of the government?

I think you have an interesting interpretation of what a common criminal is. Here is a list of what the [law ]categorizes as common crimes:...
Clearly, they wouldn't need to. But who knows, maybe the whistle blower was bringing their relative or friend to the attorney. I don't know, maybe it was in the news articles but I don't feel like checking again.

I was using the word 'common' as an adjective. It's not my interpretation, but the very definition of the word that I used. Nothin' to do with the law...common crook, common items found in a home, common flower, etc.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:30 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,429,728 times
Quote:
Kallas faces a maximum sentence of 256 years in federal prison when he is sentenced in August, though Steward said he expected a much shorter sentence.

Kallas' wife, Maria, 41, was also arrested and pleaded guilty in November to conspiracy, bribery and conspiracy to commit money laundering.
If only penalties would be applied, and all white collar crimes had harsh consequences.

Quote:
Kallas' attorney, Dean Steward, said that his client never accepted money but that he gave some immigrants advice and did favors for them "out of the kindness of his heart."

"Sadly, the evidence at trial showed that it spiraled out of control and ended up in the indictment," Steward said.
His kind million dollar heart worth of favors.
Quote:
Steward said Kallas was set up by "opportunistic" immigrants.
Oh YAY! He's a victim! AND he's pandering to the crowd who mean to see liability lawsuits gone forever as if all grievances brought to court were frivolous.

I wish Bar associations would consent to disbar & prosecute attorneys who lie. Did hell freeze over yet?

Steward you belong chained to your client. Both traitors. Not because you defended him, but because you lie like a cheap rug at the expense of justice. You disgrace your profession, if there's any such thing left when your behavior is standard fare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or