U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Immigration Reform include a ban on citizenship for all persons currently residing unlawfully
Yes, it should ban citizenship for undocumented workers currently in the U.S. 30 85.71%
No, it should not ban the future prospect of citizenship for persons unlawfully residing in the U.S. 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 AM

264 posts, read 390,371 times

Advertisements

Should Comprehensive Immigration Reform include a permanent ban on persons residing unlawfully in the U.S.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:40 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
I favor a 10 year ban then an illegal alien back in his/her own nation can then apply for a visa.........later on citizenship. In practice: such a rule would eliminate most of the above off the top.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,819,795 times
They have scammed this country long enough, and deserve nothing in return. All here in violation of our laws should be punished with permanent banishment. Once a thief. . . . .

Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,691,681 times
There are already laws in place that prevent people found to be in the country illegally from obtaining citizenship. It simply isn't applied across the board to ALL people found to be in the country illegally. Our good neighbors to the south most often get a pass on adherence to that particular law.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:17 PM

25,366 posts, read 16,300,645 times
I went with yes. There are plenty of honest, law abiding people that would like to come here. We need to reward them and not criminals.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,110,948 times
When I lived in South Florida I had many friends that emigrated from Cuba, Cental America and South America-all legally. And they went through a lot to do that. It's not fair to those that come here legally and go through the whole process to let those that come here illegally get off so easy.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:53 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,437,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
There are already laws in place that prevent people found to be in the country illegally from obtaining citizenship. It simply isn't applied across the board to ALL people found to be in the country illegally. Our good neighbors to the south most often get a pass on adherence to that particular law.
I think extenuating circumstances that closely resemble those we offer asylum to but aren't as pandemic to fall in that category officially should be considered exempt from that law. Not the rest, and certainly none with a history of habitual law breaking in our own country (not just the original offense).

Old 04-24-2010, 08:57 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,691,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I think extenuating circumstances that closely resemble those we offer asylum to but aren't as pandemic to fall in that category officially should be considered exempt from that law. Not the rest, and certainly none with a history of habitual law breaking in our own country (not just the original offense).
I am taking a class on immigration law this semester and I've discovered that there are already several regulations in place that assist those suffering from extenuating circumstances and they are intentionally accessible to anyone who cares to do the work.

Millions of people have respected U.S. law by going through proper channels. There is no excuse to do otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or