Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 02:45 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Most police officers are not properly trained in illegal immigration laws. That is best left to customs and border patrol agents.
Yet another very weak excuse. So let's get them trained. 287g is already out there. The costs for any additional training would be offset by lowering the massive drain illegals place on the taxpayers.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Most police officers are not properly trained in illegal immigration laws. That is best left to customs and border patrol agents.
Perhaps they will be given some training. A quick seminar could easily give them some ideas on what to look for, or they may just lay out the criteria for them.

I'm sure they would prefer that the customs and border patrol agents do this, but that hasn't worked.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:47 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Yet another very weak excuse. So let's get them trained. The costs for the training would be offset by lowering the massive drain illegals place on the taxpayers.
Maybe just check to see if they are circumcised, or have been recently.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,522 times
Quote:
Yet another very weak excuse. So let's get them trained. 287g is already out there. The costs for any additional training would be offset by lowering the massive drain illegals place on the taxpayers.
My comment was an excuse, just a side comment and observation. My main argument stands, 4th amendment.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Illegal aliens violate the law by their mere presence in this country.

I don't see this being an more invasive that a routine Friday night DUI check point. Does that also violate the 4th Amendment? If so, why aren't all of you naysayers out there lobbying to put a halt to DUI check points?

Additionally, illegal aliens are also driving without licenses and/or insurance....hmmm....yet another violation of the law.

I can be pulled over for any reason and you know what? As long as I'm not in violation of the law, why should I care? I'll be on my way in minutes. The only people this will negatively effect are those who shouldn't be here to begin with. If you're driving a car, you will have a driver's license unless you are not an American citizen or legal green card holder. And if you're one of those unlucky folks who have had your license pulled for prior offenses, you shouldn't be driving anyway.

'Nuff said.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:55 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
How do you figure this? Do you think cops there will simply go "there is them there spics, get em" or do you think that they will have process to obtain probable cause to such?

If you think they will be discriminatory, then I hope you like wasting a lot of gas, because that is what you will be doing. Though there are groups who would love to prosecute you for such waste concerning the environment, do you contest them as well?

If you insist, I can play 'banda' music real loud?

Old 04-23-2010, 02:57 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Illegal aliens violate the law by their mere presence in this country.

I don't see this being an more invasive that a routine Friday night DUI check point. Does that also violate the 4th Amendment? If so, why aren't all of you naysayers out there lobbying to put a halt to DUI check points?

Right...not controversial enough for ya.

Oh...but they ARE

Quote:
Checkpoint for Latinos, not drunks, critics charge

Quote:
The checkpoint "appears to target Latinos in three ways: where they put it, the fact that it was on Cinco de Mayo" and the number of people who were charged for not having a driver's license, said Jose Luis Mas, a local lawyer and chairman of the Ohio Hispanic Coalition board of directors.
Many times, undocumented immigrants don't have driver's licenses because of their immigration status, he said.

Checkpoint for Latinos, not drunks, critics charge | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
My main argument stands, 4th amendment.
I think it's an interesting argument but how does that fit with this:

Quote:
In theory this law is not unconstitutional, as it requires probable cause, in practice however, it is either unconstitional or ineffective and useless due to the nature of the crime in question. It is virtually impossible for local law enforcement agents to have probable cause for suspicion of breaking immigration laws.
Quote:
Running away from the police is reasonable clause, you get no argument from me. Good example.
Wouldn't this suggest that the law is constitutional and that police will be operating within the Constution if they enforce it carefully?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
Quote:
The checkpoint "appears to target Latinos in three ways: where they put it, the fact that it was on Cinco de Mayo" and the number of people who were charged for not having a driver's license, said Jose Luis Mas, a local lawyer and chairman of the Ohio Hispanic Coalition board of directors. Many times, undocumented immigrants don't have driver's licenses because of their immigration status, he said.
Precisely my point.

Isn't that against the law?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:03 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
The following story was before the law was signed. Now the police will have more incentive to arrest and detain first.

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Phoenix News

A Valley man says he was pulled over Wednesday morning and questioned when he arrived at a weigh station for his commercial vehicle along Val Vista and the 202 freeway.

Abdon, who did not want to use his last name, says he provided several key pieces of information but what he provided apparently was not what was needed.

He tells 3TV, “I don't think it's correct, if I have to take my birth certificate with me all the time.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration