U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Hillsboro, OR
2,127 posts, read 2,024,409 times
Reputation: 1205
Default I have a question for most of you

Why do most people who are fervently anti-immigrant assume that everyone who is Hispanic-looking or has a Spanish last name is an illegal immigrant?

Don't try to deny that it doesn't happen, because it is everywhere. People will see a Hispanic person or a Spanish last name and complain about illegals. What makes you think they aren't American citizens?

In fact, did some of you know that a large portion of the Hispanic people in this country were already in our country when we expanded to the Pacific Ocean? All of that used to be a part of Mexico, you know.


Sorry, it is just getting frustrating with all of this nonsense. I have many Hispanic friends who get chastised for being "illegals" when they are legal citizens...most of whom were actually born here. Enough is enough. Complain about the illegal immigration, because yes, they are breaking the law...but do not automatically cast anyone who looks or sounds Hispanic as being illegal, because you are probably wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 PM
 
264 posts, read 241,221 times
Reputation: 175
First off, there are quite a few things wrong with your basic assumptions - I will proceed to debunk one of them and leave the rest to the other posters here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
In fact, did some of you know that a large portion of the Hispanic people in this country were already in our country when we expanded to the Pacific Ocean? All of that used to be a part of Mexico, you know.
There were 80,000 people living in newly acquired American territories at the time of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848. Today, you can virtually find that many illegals of Mexican origin near any major U.S. city. There were not, as you say, a large portion of Hispanic people living in our country at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Central Valley, CA
2,007 posts, read 1,204,699 times
Reputation: 741
I know I don't assume that, and I don't think "most" people assume that off last name alone. I do however assume that when I am in McDonalds and the person in front of me cannot speak enough English to order a simple meal that they are illegal since you have to know basic English to pass the citizenship test. Hell, I've never made an attempt to learn Spanish, but just by living where I do I could order in Spanish if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 25,073,647 times
Reputation: 3624
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Why do most people who are fervently anti-immigrant assume that everyone who is Hispanic-looking or has a Spanish last name is an illegal immigrant?

Don't try to deny that it doesn't happen, because it is everywhere. People will see a Hispanic person or a Spanish last name and complain about illegals. What makes you think they aren't American citizens?
Stereotypes--------which the pro illegal fans keep feeding with their use of the (Mestizo) race card. As for Spanish sounding surnames: been there, done that till I had mine legally changed many years ago........I am Nordic White in appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
In fact, did some of you know that a large portion of the Hispanic people in this country were already in our country when we expanded to the Pacific Ocean? All of that used to be a part of Mexico, you know.
Most Hispanics here today came to the USA AFTER 1848.........the few 'Hispanics' in our Southwest from before were American Indians or criollos-----few Mestizos then. They were further south in what is now today's Mexico.


Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Sorry, it is just getting frustrating with all of this nonsense. I have many Hispanic friends who get chastised for being "illegals" when they are legal citizens...most of whom were actually born here. Enough is enough. Complain about the illegal immigration, because yes, they are breaking the law...but do not automatically cast anyone who looks or sounds Hispanic as being illegal, because you are probably wrong.
Take it up with the above pro illegal apologists...........they have a vested need to keep Americans of 'brown' Hispanic heritage in the barrio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,472 posts, read 300,341 times
Reputation: 1124
[quote=psulions2007;13871271]Why do most people who are fervently anti-immigrant assume that everyone who is Hispanic-looking or has a Spanish last name is an illegal immigrant?

*Don't think it is most people, just some uninformed.


I have many Hispanic friends who get chastised for being "illegals" when they are legal citizens...most of whom were actually born here.

*me to, dozens in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
12,383 posts, read 8,091,663 times
Reputation: 8067
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Why do most people who are fervently anti-immigrant assume that everyone who is Hispanic-looking or has a Spanish last name is an illegal immigrant?

Don't try to deny that it doesn't happen, because it is everywhere. People will see a Hispanic person or a Spanish last name and complain about illegals. What makes you think they aren't American citizens?

In fact, did some of you know that a large portion of the Hispanic people in this country were already in our country when we expanded to the Pacific Ocean? All of that used to be a part of Mexico, you know.


Sorry, it is just getting frustrating with all of this nonsense. I have many Hispanic friends who get chastised for being "illegals" when they are legal citizens...most of whom were actually born here. Enough is enough. Complain about the illegal immigration, because yes, they are breaking the law...but do not automatically cast anyone who looks or sounds Hispanic as being illegal, because you are probably wrong.
Quite frankly I haven't seen a single post on this message board since I've been coming here that was ANTI IMMIGRANT.

The OPERATIVE WORD is ILLEGAL ALIEN.

I have never seen anyone argue about SPANISH LAST NAMES when this subject is debated here.

What I have seen time after time are people with the same opinion as you have who accuse EVERYONE who is against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION (which is against United States law but isn't well enforced) for being AGAINST IMMIGRANTS.

FOREIGNER WITHOUT PAPERS + WORK IN USA + LIVE IN USA = ILLEGAL ALIEN

There are illegals here. IMMIGRANTS come here LEGALLY. They have their paperwork in order BEFORE they come.

What part of ILLEGAL don't you understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Hillsboro, OR
2,127 posts, read 2,024,409 times
Reputation: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post
First off, there are quite a few things wrong with your basic assumptions - I will proceed to debunk one of them and leave the rest to the other posters here.



There were 80,000 people living in newly acquired American territories at the time of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848. Today, you can virtually find that many illegals of Mexican origin near any major U.S. city. There were not, as you say, a large portion of Hispanic people living in our country at the time.
Fair enough...but at what point do you say "These are the only Hispanics we are going to count"? I don't think we as a country were particularly focused on western/Mexican immigration in the 1800s or early 1900s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I know I don't assume that, and I don't think "most" people assume that off last name alone. I do however assume that when I am in McDonalds and the person in front of me cannot speak enough English to order a simple meal that they are illegal since you have to know basic English to pass the citizenship test. Hell, I've never made an attempt to learn Spanish, but just by living where I do I could order in Spanish if needed.
Not necessarily, usually speaking/listening are the hardest parts of a language to learn. I can read French fairly fluently and write French well, but I can't speak or listen to it well at all, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Quite frankly I haven't seen a single post on this message board since I've been coming here that was ANTI IMMIGRANT.

The OPERATIVE WORD is ILLEGAL ALIEN.

I have never seen anyone argue about SPANISH LAST NAMES when this subject is debated here.

What I have seen time after time are people with the same opinion as you have who accuse EVERYONE who is against ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION (which is against United States law but isn't well enforced) for being AGAINST IMMIGRANTS.

FOREIGNER WITHOUT PAPERS + WORK IN USA + LIVE IN USA = ILLEGAL ALIEN

There are illegals here. IMMIGRANTS come here LEGALLY. They have their paperwork in order BEFORE they come.

What part of ILLEGAL don't you understand?
You should reread my post as your response does not address my questions whatsoever. I was not claiming being anti-illegal = being anti-immigrant. In fact, if you read the last paragraph of my post, you will see where I said I agree that illegal immigrants are breaking the law. My problem is with people who automatically think "Illegal!" when they see someone Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 03:41 PM
 
2,228 posts, read 1,850,590 times
Reputation: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Why do most people who are fervently anti-immigrant assume that everyone who is Hispanic-looking or has a Spanish last name is an illegal immigrant?
Here we go again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 03:59 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 2,343,847 times
Reputation: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econolodge-911 View Post
First off, there are quite a few things wrong with your basic assumptions - I will proceed to debunk one of them and leave the rest to the other posters here.



There were 80,000 people living in newly acquired American territories at the time of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848. Today, you can virtually find that many illegals of Mexican origin near any major U.S. city. There were not, as you say, a large portion of Hispanic people living in our country at the time.
May I remind that immigration into the US from that Southwest was constant since the Spanish explored in the 1620s. I dont know where the 80,000 number comes form but remember the influx of immigrants that flooded California just a few years after the discovery of Gold. Its estimated that some 25,000 Mexican miners entered the state durring the Rush.

Nailing down population levels in the Southwest is a guess at best. The Facts are there was Spanish-speaking folk in the southwest for Generations, and immigration from the SoB has been happening for a long as there have been people to the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2010, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 25,073,647 times
Reputation: 3624
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
May I remind that immigration into the US from that Southwest was constant since the Spanish explored in the 1620s. I dont know where the 80,000 number comes form but remember the influx of immigrants that flooded California just a few years after the discovery of Gold. Its estimated that some 25,000 Mexican miners entered the state durring the Rush.

Nailing down population levels in the Southwest is a guess at best. The Facts are there was Spanish-speaking folk in the southwest for Generations, and immigration from the SoB has been happening for a long as there have been people to the South.
And when strict enforcement/control of said border is in place---------the flow of illegals will be shut down on the order of 90-95%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top