U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 AM

47,586 posts, read 34,504,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How stereotypical!

They're not going to know that at the Grand Canyon.

I never had to show my passport in Europe, even to go through customs in Brussels.
LauraC is being stereotypical???? I think your view that all hispanics look the same is far more stereotypical. LauraC is right, Puerto Ricans aren't just the exact same thing as someone fresh over the southern border.

I really don't see how you or the OP really believe there are no differences that are fairly noticeable between Puerto Ricans and Central Americans.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 AM

17,557 posts, read 6,927,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
A good point....seriously. As a matter of fact, if the police in Arizona are planning on 'stopping every Hispanic as a suspected illegal immigrant' (), then legally, they'd HAVE to stop every white, as well...along with every black, every Asian, and every other'. If "every Hispanic is going to be stopped", as I said, the police would have no choice; they'd HAVE to stop everyone else, too.

As I said a few posts ago, this is mostly 'over-the-top' Geraldo-Rivera type sensationalism. The police are NOT going to 'stop every Hispanic', and no one is suggesting they should.

What COULD happen, (but I don't think will...for a while) is that the police will set up some sort of 'markers' in which they profile for illegals. In so doing, they'll be forced to 'crack down' on others, as well...and once more, all of society will be forced to bear the burden. It will be a little bit like today's tiresome, humiliating "boarding an airliner" experience....i.e., because the authorities "can't" profile any particular demographic for suicidal terrorists boarding an airliner, they get around the problem by treating EVERYONE like terrorists....and the result is that every air traveler is now assumed to be a 'possible' terrorist...and we're questioned, glared at, searched, and made to show up 2 hours early to board.

So, bottom line?....no, Hispanic Americans and legal immigrants....(and even many ILLEGAL immigrants) will NOT be 'harrassed' or profiled when going about their daily routine....that won't happen. BUT..in the long run, all of us will experience SOME loss of freedom as a result of massive illegal immigration. It may be something as minor as being required to have ID at all times...or as major as intermittent mandatory 'document checks' along highways (something like today's DUI checkpoints).

But no, Hispanics will not be 'racially profiled' for their skin color. And, if in the process of looking for illegals, some Hispanics find themselves being harrassed, they'll have plenty of the rest of us for company. That much I can guarantee.
Businesses who employ illegals will set red flags, such as invalid SSN, and the local community and law enforcement will eventually know who the illegals are. Just the signing of this law will have some illegals looking to live and work somewhere else.

You are most likely correct, the police will not be wasting their time flagging down everyone who looks Hispanic, because they would never get anything else done.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 AM

15,952 posts, read 12,119,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Businesses who employ illegals will set red flags, such as invalid SSN, and the local community and law enforcement will eventually know who the illegals are. Just the signing of this law will have some illegals looking to live and work somewhere else.

You are most likely correct, the police will not be wasting their time flagging down everyone who looks Hispanic, because they would never get anything else done.
No they won't...... The whole idea of hiring illegals is to pay them less than they can legally pay an American Worker. .....The guy who was sentenced to two years in Benson had recruiters arrainging passsage and living accomidations for them.

We need to have mandatory jail terms for those caught employing them

Old 04-26-2010, 08:12 AM

8,054 posts, read 9,823,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In my opinion, Puerto Ricans look nothing like Mexicans or Mexican-Americans. Do you think you look Mexican? If you will be flying to Arizona, you'll have to have ID to get on the plane.

My Mexican cousins married to Puerto Ricans in South Florida would disagree. They look of the same DNA. Not every Puerto Rican appears to be of African decent, just as not every Mexican appear that Aztec. Example:

Salma Hayek (Mexican):

Moderator cut: image removed

Zuleika Rivera - Miss Puerto Rico (2006)

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:33 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 AM

8,711 posts, read 6,894,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Salma Hayek (Mexican):

Yes. So um...uhhh....what was this thread about again?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
No they won't...... The whole idea of hiring illegals is to pay them less than they can legally pay an American Worker. .....The guy who was sentenced to two years in Benson had recruiters arrainging passsage and living accomidations for them.

We need to have mandatory jail terms for those caught employing them
"No they won't" - what? No they won't pay them thru proper legal channels, or no the illegals won't use fake SSNs? I think enough illegals pass themselves off as legal citizens and the fake SSNs go unchallenged by our government.

On a tangential issue, if businesses need guest workers to provide enough employees, then the federal government needs a more efficiant version of the immigrant worker visa program. The current system is too slow, and out of date, so employers and migrant workers feel forced to go around the entire process.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:27 AM

69,194 posts, read 58,392,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
LauraC is being stereotypical???? I think your view that all hispanics look the same is far more stereotypical. LauraC is right, Puerto Ricans aren't just the exact same thing as someone fresh over the southern border.

I really don't see how you or the OP really believe there are no differences that are fairly noticeable between Puerto Ricans and Central Americans.
Yes, Laura was being stereotypical. With all the inter-cultural marriage these days, you can't tell what someone "is" just by looking at them. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
My Mexican cousins married to Puerto Ricans in South Florida would disagree. They look of the same DNA. Not every Puerto Rican appears to be of African decent, just as not every Mexican appear that Aztec.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 AM

15,952 posts, read 12,119,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
"No they won't" - what? No they won't pay them thru proper legal channels, or no the illegals won't use fake SSNs? I think enough illegals pass themselves off as legal citizens and the fake SSNs go unchallenged by our government.

On a tangential issue, if businesses need guest workers to provide enough employees, then the federal government needs a more efficiant version of the immigrant worker visa program. The current system is too slow, and out of date, so employers and migrant workers feel forced to go around the entire process.
Yeah, I'm sure all those contractors headed for Home Depot are looking to pay minimum wage plus workmens comp, plus wage tax for day laborers.

Oh Please

Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
That reminds me, I saw Slema on Jay Leno a few years back. She was doing a movie called After The Sunset, and she went diving too deep, and had to sit in a decompression chamber for a few hours. They had to place a medial provider in the chamber with her in case she developed any problems. Well the guy that had to stay in there with her was complaining the whole time. DOH!!! "I'm locked in a tiny room with a gorgeous babe, someone get me out of here!!"

Here is the only link I could find.

Anecdotage.Com - Thousands of true funny stories about famous people. Anecdotes from Gates to Yeats

Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 AM

3,771 posts, read 2,820,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I was about to say the same thing...

Que Linda.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration