U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 AM

47,585 posts, read 35,904,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I'm all for enforcement of current laws and enactment of new ones. Illegal immigration upsets me alot. My ancestors came here legally and assimilited into American society, worked in the mills and farms of New England 150 years ago.

I get upset when I see the news and millions of illegals just waltz across the border.

But the Arizona law is completly illegal and unconstitutional. Immigration is a federal issue, and has no basis in state law.

Congress is fully capable of making more than one bill at once. They can do climate change, financial reform, and immigration in a few weeks. Instead the damn Republicans are just sitting by and whining "NO!"
The problem is, the open borders side demands that federal laws not be enforced either. Now when a state does something because the federal government has completely abandoned it's duty, the open borders side doesn't like that either.

It comes down to the fact that he cheap labor lobby and the open borders types want absolutely no immigration law enforced. Not at the federal level, not at the state or local level. They want unlimited immigration, they want unlimited cheap labor, dirt cheap servants and so on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 AM

14,208 posts, read 5,667,385 times
Look like you are not breaking the law and have nothing to hide. Keep your ID with you like we all do in case we need to buy something on credit and they want to see our pic. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out this stuff.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:08 AM

47,585 posts, read 35,904,646 times
And let's all ask ourselves why Haitians landing in Miami do get rounded up and sent back. How can they possibly tell who is a Haitian just by looking and where is La Raza? Certainly not whining about the rights of Haitians to live illegally in Miami and come in unlimited numbers. What glaring hypocrisy.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 AM

2,351 posts, read 1,474,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Ben Franklin was staunchly against all immigration to America, save English Protestant types. He was particularly against German immigrants because of the threat they posed to the dominant Anglo-Protestant culture. Ben Franklin would be much more harsher to the illegals in Arizona than what this bill is going to do.
He was also a philanderer. What do his personal views towards German immigrants have to do with liberty and security?

All of our founders were borderline racist anyway. They were all WASPs anyway. Didn't care too much for Catholics or Jews or Muslims, all of whom had lived in the country for decades previous to the Rev War.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:16 AM

9,933 posts, read 7,501,684 times
If you don't get caught breaking any laws, it shouldn't matter since the law requires that they be engaged in "lawful contact" before checking immigration status.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 AM

16,005 posts, read 26,121,774 times
I never go anywhere without my driver's license, insurance cards and other identification. Sometimes I even take my passport if I am on a domestic trip to have a second ID in case one gets lost. I suggest you do the same.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:47 AM

9,182 posts, read 10,044,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
If u r real & u ask a question in good faith,then I reply to u that all u need is your driver's license,or that real ID,if it was not torpedoed by the leftists,precisely because,among others, it would " flash " the illegals...

U have to choose sides...

Identify yourself either with the Americans,or with the illegals...
This is stupid response because you don't need to be a citizen to have an Arizona driver's license. I'm Hispanic American who was born and raised in the United States. I'm also a physician who is highly educated who lives in Arizona.

I live in Arizona and don't agree with this law although I do support Sheriff Joe Arpaio and tough immigration reform. This law is poorly written and authorizes law enforcement to question anyone they "reasonably suspect" of being an illegal.

I'm going to carry a photocopy of my passport and leave it in my glove compartment of my car. I often have to travel to Tucson and you do come across border patrol stops and if a cop pulls you over, I don't want to be harrassed about my citizenship status.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM

9,182 posts, read 10,044,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Most of the people who support this Law, are people who exercise racial profiling daily. This Law, just hopes to allow someone in a position of authority to do it, legally. I don't think it will survive the legality part, but it does reaffirm some people prejudices, somewhat.
First of all, most of the people in Arizona do NOT support this law. This law was enthrusted upon us by our politicians and signed into law by a governor we did not even vote into office.

You have to understand, Arizona is a transient state. Our residents don't vote. People move here and don't register to vote because they still think of themselves as being an Ohio resident, a Michigan resident, a California resident etc. that just lives in Arizona. Many are not registered to vote and don't participate in local elections. That is why there is a huge disconnect with how the state is represented and what it actually is. Arizona is not like some conservative Southern state. It's pretty liberal as most of population hails from California and the Upper Midwest.

You will see in the November elections. Governor Jan Brewer will lose in November.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM

3,151 posts, read 1,993,267 times
Well..I wouldn't dress up like Cheech Marin and run down the street with a TV on your shoulder..besides that..I think you'll be OK.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM

11,438 posts, read 11,379,212 times
Quote:
But this law states the cops can stop you if they suspect you are in the country illegally. So people OBEYING the law are subject to being harassed.
How do you know when someone is here illegally? It's not an action you witness, like a store robbery.
Or am I wrong?
Quote:
From what I understand, a simple license is not enough..or am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. If it is your license, not a fake and you dont have 3 or 4 different ones. If you have a legit license, the correct plate on your car, registration and proof of insurance, are not under the influence, running stop signs or driving recklessly then there would be no reason to suspect any wrong doing. No?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration