Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 12:55 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
if you think it is only illegals that are gang bangers you are wrong. there are areas of LA that are run buy gangs who are 100% born and raised americans. live in that area and you can get killed by a stray bullet from an american
You are correct in that it's not only illegal immigrants committing crimes, but it's a fact that the largest number of the most violent crimes are being committed by gangs and drugs mob, a lot of which have roots in Colombia, and Mexico. In CA alone, 30% of the prisons populations are illegal immigrants.

Now, more than likely we will have to carry a passport just like other places around the world. Not too long ago I could travel though Canada without a passport, but that's not longer the case. It will be the same in the US, like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 12:58 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
The citizens of Arizona have the RIGHT to protect themselves from the blood and guts that you people don't seem to care about.
If you don't like their laws because you feel it is against your "rights" then stay out of their state.
all people are equal and free per our constitution. in america we have the right to move about the USA without borders and without "papers" to authenticate we are americans, or even visitors from another land.

blood,cuts and crime are committed by legal and illegal alike. how very dramatic sounds like fear based fox tv to me

Old 04-25-2010, 12:59 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I have one question that I would like folks help me answer.

I am Latino. Specifically Puerto Rican. My family has been "American" since 1898. We have been here a while and have contributed greatly to this country. Also, I'm far from ever being illegal.

OK, so the question is:

When I go to visit Arizona, let's say the Grand Canyon, how should I dress or look to prevent from being suspected of being in the country illegally? What documents should I bring?

I really would not want to waste one second of my precious time being harassed by local government. This bill really puts me on edge for possible harassment.

I mean the governor does't know what an illegal alien looks like, who's to say the cops will.

Latino = Illegal?

Thanks.
Caribbean islands crack down on illegal immigrants

TOA BAJA, Puerto Rico — First, riot police raided the slum with batons and pepper spray. Then authorities shut off the water and electricity. With an eviction order pending in the courts, police stand sentry outside the shacks belonging mostly to Dominican migrants.
The Puerto Rican government says it’s trying to clear a dangerous flood zone in Villas del Sol, a shantytown just west of the capital of San Juan. But residents say the show of force targets foreign laborers as Puerto Rico’s unemployment rate tops 16 percent.

As jobs vanish in the global financial crisis, Caribbean governments are cracking down on undocumented migrants seeking work. The increased enforcement highlights deep economic divisions in a region where poor Dominicans, Haitians and Jamaicans seek better lives on more affluent islands such as the Bahamas, Antigua and Barbados.

Bay State Banner - Caribbean islands crack down on illegal immigrants

You might want to be careful if you visit Puerto Rico. Just giving you the heads up.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You are correct in that it's not only illegal immigrants committing crimes, but it's a fact that the largest number of the most violent crimes are being committed by gangs, a lot of which have roots in Colombia, and Mexico. In CA alone, 30% of the prisons populations are illegal immigrants.

criminal gangs have come a long way in the last 40 years and now are truly organized both in prison and out. from what I understand hard core gangs are in every country of the world causing havoc. criminals should be locked up, deported.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
all people are equal and free per our constitution. in america we have the right to move about the USA without borders and without "papers" to authenticate we are americans, or even visitors from another land.

blood,cuts and crime are committed by legal and illegal alike. how very dramatic sounds like fear based fox tv to me
Don't believe for a moment that you aren't being watched or listened to by governments. Do you use a cell phone, do you post in this and other forums, do you use instant messengers, E-mail, connect to the Internet, respond to surveys on paper or online, borrow money at the bank, file employment forms, have credit cards, retrieve money from a bank, have insurance for your home or car?

A profile of anybody in this forum can be put together by the right person within ten minutes.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:08 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And you think it's OK to just pull someone over and ask for their ID? As someone else said, "left it at home" is never the right answer. What if this OP just wants to run out to the 7-11 from his motel room to buy a bag of potato chips? Does he have to take his bc with him in case he gets stopped for suspicion of entering the country illegally?

I'm not "acting" any way. We don't know how this law will be applied. Could be, you run a red light, you'll be asked to show ID as well as your driver's license. Or the whole carful of people could be asked to show ID. Or, cops on foot patrol could just randomly ask people for their ID as they're walking to school, work, out shopping, etc.
sorry if I read your posts wrong, but it seemed you were looking at this from the worst possible scenario, and assuming it would be the norm.

I doubt it would be the later since creating a group just for checking IDs would take too much away from the normal duties of a police officer.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
criminal gangs have come a long way in the last 40 years and now are truly organized both in prison and out. from what I understand hard core gangs are in every country of the world causing havoc. criminals should be locked up, deported.
Yes. The 13th and the 18th are but two of numerous. A lot of these gangs are now in EU.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
Quote:

LOL, fox news is the problem?
Or maybe it is Sarah Palin?
How about moving your family into Latin King territory?
You can dodge the bullets on the way to the grocery store, have fun!
I had one whiz past my head! Boy you wouldn't believe how LOUD they are!
Or move to Arizona and carry your birth certificate until they can figure something out.
Put other people first for a change.
We are talking about illegals here so please don't bring up the american problems.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
That's is ridiculous. The police will stop anybody who does something illegal, which include traffic violations, and there is where the driver is asked for a driver's license.
Or if they see a bunch of people hanging out at Home Depot looking for day work.

This whole deal stinks, forcing police to check Americans and asking them to prove their citizenship, whether its thru a driver's license or other ID, but this immigration problem has gotten so far out of hand, that states are resorting to drastic methods.

It only makes things worse when politicians, who are responsible for the problem in the first place, spout off about making all illegals American citizens. It only encouraged more and more people to risk breaking our laws for a magic federal government Get Out Of Jail Free card.

I don't like what AZ state feels is must do, but I understand it.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Don't believe for a moment that you aren't being watched or listened to by governments. Do you use a cell phone, do you post in this and other forums, do you use instant messengers, E-mail, connect to the Internet, respond to surveys on paper or online, borrow money at the bank, file employment forms, have credit cards, retrieve money from a bank, have insurance for your home or car?

A profile of anybody in this forum can be put together by the right person within ten minutes.

well no duh! that crap has been happening for decades and decades. that didn't start with the illegal. it started because someone targets someone. right wrong or indifferent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration