Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How stereotypical!

They're not going to know that at the Grand Canyon.

I never had to show my passport in Europe, even to go through customs in Brussels.
I find it very hard to believe that at your entry point into Europe (whatever city that was) you didn't have to show your passport?

See my post about the Schengen Agreement.

They don't have border checkpoints in Europe for countries with a Schengen Agreement because a visa is not required when you cross national borders.

That's why you didn't have to show your id.

But if you were pulled over by a cop you'd have to produce an ID.

Schengen Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 11:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
At your entry point into Europe you didn't have to show your passport?

No. I got my luggage and waved my passport at them, IIRC It was only a few years ago.

See my post about the Schengen Agreement.

They don't have border checkpoints in Europe for countries with a Schengen Agreement because a visa is not required when you cross national borders.

That's why you didn't have to show your id.

But if you were pulled over by a cop you'd have to produce an ID.

Schengen Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I was never asked for my passport until I got back on the plane in Cologne, Germany.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times
What's the problem? If you are here legally, you have nothing to worry about. So far the other solutions haven't worked. I can't blame them for wanting to step it up to something that does. It's not like they are going to deport you if you are here legally. If you have a problem with that, name one other country that has 10,000,000 illegal immigrants?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,674 times
I have no problem showing my info to be safe!
If it bothers you then you have something to hide!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 AM

216 posts, read 668,175 times
Perhaps we need to rethink a national ID that only legal citizens an obtain. Would initially cost a lot of money, but may be the only solution. Would have to be made in such a way that it would be impossible or nearly impossible to make fake IDs. They could be issued at birth for babies and then like a passport you'd have to get it updated. You could get one at birth and then again at 4, before going to school and then another one at entering high school and another one at 18 and then updates every 10 years.

For those of us who are not babies, we would be required to get them as adults with an updated one every 10 years.

You'd be expected to carry the card with you, as you would a Drivers License or State ID. If you lost it, you'd be responsible for reporting it lost and a new one with a new number would be issued.

Like a passport, it could be used to establish legality when applying for jobs.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:49 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,308 times
Personally, I am sick of all the whining about Arizona's stand about ILLEGALS in the US. WAY past time that something is done about these criminals, & it seems they are just trying to make a statement about the federal govt. letting it get this far.
I don't like seeing ILLEGAL immigrants flying the flag of another country in the USA, protesting that they can't have their way, in OUR country. Why not FIX YOUR OWN COUNTRY, rather than come to THIS one, & demand we accommodate you , when you can't even get together & run things properly in your own country??

I know of no other nationality that has ever come to the USA & DEMANDED that we change things all around, because they are too lazy or ignorant to adapt to the way things are here. I am first generation American on my Dad's side, & my dad & grandparents came here the LEGAL way, & learned the language, followed the LAWS, and never ONCE marched in the freaking streets, waving the flag of their home country, & demanding that we change the language, laws, customs, etc., to accommodate them.

Anyone ever do the math, & see just exactly HOW MUCH it's costing this country to finance all these damn criminals?? On most subjects I feel I am pretty moderate, pretty liberal, even, but THIS one, is just BS. It's a total slap in the face of all the zillions of LEGAL immigrants that have come to the USA,throughout our history, and followed the law of the land,& have contributed to America, rather than draining it dry ,polluting it, & making demands that we change the USA to become like Mexico.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
I have no problem showing my info to be safe!
If it bothers you then you have something to hide!
Yeah, that's how it was in Germany in the 30's and 40's.

People that didn't have anything to hide did just fine.

As long as you could produce a sheath you were OK.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:08 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah, that's how it was in Germany in the 30's and 40's.

People that didn't have anything to hide did just fine.

As long as you could produce a sheath you were OK.
What????????????????? Sheath??????????????????
Listen Knucklehead wiseup and don't be a Pinhead!

Old 04-26-2010, 07:41 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I have one question that I would like folks help me answer.

I am Latino. Specifically Puerto Rican. My family has been "American" since 1898. We have been here a while and have contributed greatly to this country. Also, I'm far from ever being illegal.

OK, so the question is:

When I go to visit Arizona, let's say the Grand Canyon, how should I dress or look to prevent from being suspected of being in the country illegally? What documents should I bring?

I really would not want to waste one second of my precious time being harassed by local government. This bill really puts me on edge for possible harassment.

I mean the governor does't know what an illegal alien looks like, who's to say the cops will.

Latino = Illegal?

Thanks.

Look really really white.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,476 times
My problem with the bill is that law should focus on any Illegal Alien, whether you are a Mexican, Brazillian, French man or an Aussie.

This law is a Blantant attempt to harrass people that are Brown. That law will not fix Arizona's problem. The IA's (Illegal Aliens) will just migrate out of AZ. Leaving the America Hispanics to get carded no matter where they go in that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration