U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:08 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,240 posts, read 2,667,089 times
Reputation: 1172

Advertisements

I have one question that I would like folks help me answer.

I am Latino. Specifically Puerto Rican. My family has been "American" since 1898. We have been here a while and have contributed greatly to this country. Also, I'm far from ever being illegal.

OK, so the question is:

When I go to visit Arizona, let's say the Grand Canyon, how should I dress or look to prevent from being suspected of being in the country illegally? What documents should I bring?

I really would not want to waste one second of my precious time being harassed by local government. This bill really puts me on edge for possible harassment.

I mean the governor does't know what an illegal alien looks like, who's to say the cops will.

Latino = Illegal?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:12 AM
Status: "Impeach "The Bareback Don"" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Katy,TX.
3,467 posts, read 6,816,466 times
Reputation: 3183
Just obey the law of the land and you'll have no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,240 posts, read 2,667,089 times
Reputation: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Just obey the law of the land and you'll have no problem.
But this law states the cops can stop you if they suspect you are in the country illegally. So people OBEYING the law are subject to being harassed.
How do you know when someone is here illegally? It's not an action you witness, like a store robbery.
Or am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 AM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,243 posts, read 14,739,470 times
Reputation: 4583
Dye you hair, shave off you mustache and put a Rush Limbaugh bumper sticker on your car, no problems... same answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:16 AM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,243 posts, read 14,739,470 times
Reputation: 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
But this law states the cops can stop you if they suspect you are illegally. So people OBEYING the law are subject to being harassed. Or am I wrong?
You're probably not wrong. This Law will do nothing but create many problems, but that's the political intent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:19 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,240 posts, read 2,667,089 times
Reputation: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Dye you hair, shave off you mustache and put a Rush Limbaugh bumper sticker on your car, no problems... same answer.
Is that what this country is coming to? I wonder what Martin Luther King would think about this new bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:38 AM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,243 posts, read 14,739,470 times
Reputation: 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Is that what this country is coming to? I wonder what Martin Luther King would think about this new bill.
No, I don't think that's what this Country is coming to. It's just that the fringe right is all aghast that their, up to now, safe cocoon of privilege is being threatened. This Country goes thru cycles of right dominance and left dominance politically. There is a natural resistance to these changes, but we eventually move thru them, and the Country becomes better for it. It is why this Country is the best in the world, it constantly evolves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:53 AM
 
Location: between Ath,GR & Mia,FL...
2,574 posts, read 1,895,554 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I have one question that I would like folks help me answer.

I am Latino. Specifically Puerto Rican. My family has been "American" since 1898. We have been here a while and have contributed greatly to this country. Also, I'm far from ever being illegal.

OK, so the question is:

When I go to visit Arizona, let's say the Grand Canyon, how should I dress or look to prevent from being suspected of being in the country illegally? What documents should I bring?

I really would not want to waste one second of my precious time being harassed by local government. This bill really puts me on edge for possible harassment.

I mean the governor does't know what an illegal alien looks like, who's to say the cops will.

Latino = Illegal?

Thanks.
If u r real & u ask a question in good faith,then I reply to u that all u need is your driver's license,or that real ID,if it was not torpedoed by the leftists,precisely because,among others, it would " flash " the illegals...

U have to choose sides...

Identify yourself either with the Americans,or with the illegals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,240 posts, read 2,667,089 times
Reputation: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
If u r real & u ask a question in good faith,then I reply to u that all u need is your driver's license,or that real ID,if it was not torpedoed by the leftists,precisely because,among others, it would " flash " the illegals...

U have to choose sides...

Identify yourself either with the Americans,or with the illegals...
From what I understand, a simple license is not enough..or am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2010, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
16,429 posts, read 9,282,188 times
Reputation: 6173
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I have one question that I would like folks help me answer.

I am Latino. Specifically Puerto Rican. My family has been "American" since 1898. We have been here a while and have contributed greatly to this country. Also, I'm far from ever being illegal.

OK, so the question is:

When I go to visit Arizona, let's say the Grand Canyon, how should I dress or look to prevent from being suspected of being in the country illegally? What documents should I bring?

I really would not want to waste one second of my precious time being harassed by local government. This bill really puts me on edge for possible harassment.

I mean the governor does't know what an illegal alien looks like, who's to say the cops will.

Latino = Illegal?

Thanks.
It probably would be a good idea to go down to Earl Scheib and have yourself made over in a pearly glow-in-the-dark white.

If you get an Ann Coulter or a Glenn Beck or a Rush Limbaugh tattoo on your forehead it would help, too.

Oh - and carry a shredded copy of the Constitution with you. They'll think you are a native.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top