Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White Folks: Would you support a law that allows police to detain you at will in order to combat whi
Yes - I think the increased security is worth the government intrusion 78 54.55%
No - It violates my Constitutional rights 65 45.45%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:40 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And our federal authorities just aren't doing their jobs since they are so few in number and not allowed to enforce our laws with any kind of force.
Which is why states are taking action.

Quote:
I have never been a racist but in my younger days I sounded like one.
I know exactly what you mean. Peer "pressure" and culture made me sound racist in my teens, as well.
Quote:
Why do people who hear you say that your riding buddies are one black and one Hispanic still call you racist? Three people make up a small group and there is one of each of three races and you are obviously friends. I think that the wrong people are throwing that word at others.
Because it makes them feel better. The same phenomenon happens when rightwingers call Obama supporters communists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 04:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
At least one truck driver was detained at a weigh station because of the new immigration law (http://www.examiner.com/x-31836-Dallas-Trucking-Examiner~y2010m4d23-At-least-one-truck-driver-was-detained-at-a-weigh-station-because-of-the-new-immigration-law - broken link)

His ID didn't suffice.
That GD law hasn't become enforceable as of yet and won't before early summer. Someone has jumped the gun and obviously they aren't for the law or the rights of the people of Arizona to protect themselves.

These words make that article very untrue and written by someone who just doesn't understand about laws never becoming enforceable the day after passage.

***because of the new immigration law that went into effect.***

Nope somebody down at la Raza jumped the gun and the author of the article was taken in.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:45 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Anytime I go into a night club I have to show proof of eligibility.
Check into a hotel? Proof of ID.
Write a check? Proof of ID.
Stopped for traffic violation? Proof of ID and insurance.
Apply for a job? Proof of ID.

This has been going on since I've been an adult ...and that's been a lonnng time.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:47 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Anytime I go into a night club I have to show proof of eligibility.
Check into a hotel? Proof of ID.
Write a check? Proof of ID.
Stopped for traffic violation? Proof of ID and insurance.
Apply for a job? Proof of ID.

Proof of ID for riding a bike to work?
Proof of ID for walking out of a supermarket?
Proof of ID for playing mariachi music?

You know damn right that's what the AZ cops are going to be looking for. Especially the first one, riding a bike while brown = suspicious.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
you can not have a SS number unless you are a US citizen
Very true but you would be surprised at how many illegals out here have them.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:49 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Most are willing to give up Constitutional Rights to achieve Security from the Brown Menace which means they are NOT Conservatives, they are Fascist
Aren't aliens here legally required to carry proof of their status? What's the big deal? I have to show a drivers license if I am pulled over.

I think some of you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. The law has barely been passed, and already you are complaining.

How the law is implemented is key. I doubt anyone will be "detained" without reason. If that happens, it will indicate the law has failed and AZ will have to repeal it. As for right now, wait and see. Something had to be done, as the Federal Government is not dealing with the illegal alien issue. What choice did AZ have?

Old 04-24-2010, 04:51 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Wow, and to think I respected you before. You just stacked up several more guilt-trips and logical fallacies here. Nothing more.

Meh.

Your post couldn't be more ironic if you tried, and this view you're trying to push is parroting the RW -- guilt tripping people to try and get them to see it your way. Insinuating that they don't care about illegal immigration if they don't fall into lock-step with you. Look in the mirror, extremist. It's glaringly obvious. Now run along with your straw men and pester someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have suggested this ever since 2003 when a Vietnam hero who had been a sniper told me he was sure that if some like him could get $25 per head they could stop a lot of this crossing the border illegally. They even offered to clear their own fields of fire and supply their own weapons and ammunition.
Atz I'm looking at all sides of this dispute without prejudice, and the day you fail to prove your case is the day you're convinced it must be everyone else's warped judgment and to hell with democracy. No chance anything you've decided could be wrong? Who appointed you Pope of America?

Presuming someone is innocent by virtue of being any color is also logic fallacy. Choosing to believe that male habits of defending their families= mythology is irrational presumption of society. Our civilization is Roys as well as those who prefer to dial 911 but they aren't responding because their hands are tied behind their backs. Something is going to give and it's reliably ugly when government doesn't intervene disputes appropriately. Get your head out of the sand.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:54 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Proof of ID for riding a bike to work?
Proof of ID for walking out of a supermarket?
Proof of ID for playing mariachi music?

You know damn right that's what the AZ cops are going to be looking for. Especially the first one, riding a bike while brown = suspicious.
Oh bull. Do you really think cops are going to ignore other calls to check IDs at a quinceañera? You have a wild imagination.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Born In East L.A. on Yahoo! Video (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2026973/v2168232 - broken link)

Old 04-24-2010, 05:02 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binghiempress View Post
None of those are proof of lawful presence. I am in the US legally but my DL and social security card don't indicate whether I am in the US lawfully or not. Or even that I am not American.

My passport has a visa stamp in it but even that does not prove or disprove lawful presence. You can be in the US legally after the date stamped in your passport by filling out paperwork extending your status or adjusting it. In fact for a few years my visa in my passport had expired but my paperwork was up to date. You only need to renew a visa stamp if you leave the US and intend to return. You can be in lawfull status with an expired visa in one's passport.

Can you get a DL or social security card if you are in the country illegally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration