Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White Folks: Would you support a law that allows police to detain you at will in order to combat whi
Yes - I think the increased security is worth the government intrusion 78 54.55%
No - It violates my Constitutional rights 65 45.45%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:09 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Thirty pages later, I remembered that about a year and a half ago, the police set up random checkpoints in several counties near where we live. Everyone had to stop and show their DL. We were talking about the Arizona law tonight and my husband reminded me about the checkpoints.

I never passed through one but he did every day for 5 days on his way to work. For a few months, they were around in different areas. And from what I remember, they did find a few people not from this country.

The checkpoints are gone now due to budgetary constraints.
They used to be more common in the 90s. Some states have done away with them for various reasons - the one you gave among them. I was never a big fan of them. hassling a bunch of people and causing traffic jams is not worth it. DUIs are significantly down (amongst males anyway) and I seriously doubt these checkpoints helped that much. I think groups like MADD are more deserving of credit (and I realize that they are probably for checkpoints).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 AM

15,059 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I also would ay that if i knew of any white perosn that was violating the law:I would tuen them in> its like the motehr that hides her wanted son and then complai because her house is serched. She is aprt of the problem anot a solution.Her gripe does not concern me ebcause she ahs chosen to do the wrong things which I cannot sympthise with or support.
Adolf would have loved you!! Hey .... Gestapo ..... I think those people next door are hiding Jews in the attic!!

Oh yes in deedy ... we have arrived at a time where not only is it a case of a dumbed down public ... but there is a little snitch on every corner too?

You ought to be ashamed.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:42 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
At that point, they can flag your number.

How?

Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
None of those are proof of citizenship
When I got my first Texas DL I had to have my birth cert. and they would take nothing else... Maybe thats changed, I don't know...

And now they want your SS number...

Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 AM

10 posts, read 27,857 times
Unfortunately, most Americans have too shallow an understanding of the Constitution and why protection of those specific rights was deemed so important. Security, not liberty (security being a politicized notion, with no real understanding that the biggest threats come from the corporate oligarchy that currently controls our entire economy and therefore government) is the rallying cry of the fearful. So we bow down to manufactured fear. A general boycott would be the only solution, and Americans don't have the fortitude for that kind of sacrifice. So, instead we sacrifice the rights of "others," hoping to keep our luxuries without effort. By the time we realize what we've done, its always too late. Such is the cycle of "civilizations" since civilizations began...

Old 04-25-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
(Maybe this post will get more traction here. Anybody?)

Here's the Fourth Amendment.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Assuming the worst, as some here predict, is asking someone to show his legal residency status a violation of this amendment? Asking for ID is not a search nor a seizure, so I'd like those who are claiming Fourth Amendment violations to explain their case.
I don't believe I've come across another poster who knows so little about so many topics. Why don't you LISTEN more and TALK less.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects......" gives you the answer. "Probable cause" is another element which SHOULD be the clue for you ... that is the opposite of random, arbitrary shakedowns for documentation (papers) and being detained (persons). The clause was in response to the British who would routinely go house to house, and person to person in search of missing "tax stamps", and confiscating property from the American colonists.

The "being secure" part means the freedom from such arbitrary violations of privacy .... and when you are "stopped" and detained, your "person" IS BEING SEIZED .... without probable cause supported by Oath or Affirmation. And you will only regain your freedom (become UN-SEIZED) upon providing whatever the authority seizing you demands. Today, it's the birth certificate, tomorrow it will be the implantable RFID microchip, which will contain all of your data to ensure you are "compliant" with all laws and regulations .... like a fvking dog being checked for their rabies vaccination. Oh, Mr. Smith, records indicate you haven't had your H1N1 vaccination ... you do realize you are placing everyone at risk ... I'm going to have to place you under arrest ... come with me.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
My California ID is always in my wallet. They don't issue those to just anyone.
There are several states (Pennsylvania, Delaware, Tennessee, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Utah and New Mexico) who accept the phony Mexican identification card "Matricula Consular" for the issuance of driver's licenses.

Most other states only require you to surrender your current out of state drivers license in order to get one from their state .... meaning that its easy for illegals to get legal state issued drivers licenses.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Heck, I've been pulled over and checked out simply for driving a car the same color as two guys of another race were driving when they were robbing people at rest stops with guns.

I highly doubt this is about race - that obviously isn't the criteria. If someone can speak no English, is driving a car with no drivers license or insurance and gets questioned about immigration status - well too bad but most likely that person isn't here legally.

Or if people are in a Home Depot parking lot begging for jobs and get questioned over immigration status - again too bad.

By the way - I've been in foreign countries myself and have been asked for my travel card (something they required in lieu of a passport in Mexico) and no I didn't believe it was racist of the Mexicans when they have immigration and visitor laws.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I read that AZ has some 460K illegals. We need to do away with the faux outrage and end this PC craziness.
Exactly. Phoenix has become the second kidnap for ransom capital of the world -- the coyotes and human traffickers have been running wild, doing whatever the hell they want, include locking people inside houses and demanding ransom payments.

Drug cartels from Mexico can come over the border as they please and buy up any kind of weapons, bullets, or steal them to take back to their own country and use. And of course the cartels can easily get any size shipment of drugs of any kind over and distributed to every American city and town and these are the same people ripping their own nation apart now. Thanks to the power they've been handed in the USA.

The politically correct of course don't want any of this stopped because it's all about the big profits from unlimited cheap labor that is all that matters.

No matter what the unemployment rate of Americans is, the elites want their ever-cheaper labor brought in for them.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
So what alternatives do you suggest?
The alternatives are self evident. First, realize that this isn't about "illegals". It's about broadening the police powers to stop and detain ANYONE for "suspicion" which cannot be disproven. This sets the precedent which can then be expanded to include any other "check" the police might like to engage in, in the future.

But a good place to start is for people to stop behaving like frightened children, and act like Free Americans and say no to this transparent tyranny.

How about we stop invading other countries .. stop shipping the National Guard off to places like Iraq and Afghanistan, and have them "Guard" our nation (our borders) ... ya know ... National Guard .... Guard the Nation?

How about not issuing documentation to illegals, and actually arrest and prosecute violators like other countries do when they find them. There are entire communities of illegals living here, with children going to public schools, using the hospital ERs as doctors offices. Local authorities know who these people are, and they can't get ICE to even pick them up most of the time. Do you realize how these illegals are systematically ignored on purpose?

How about we utilize an ounce of grey matter, and recognize the fraud being perpetrated here ... the government leaves the borders wide open for anyone to waltz right in, while subjecting American air travelers to strip searches in our nations airports. Then, they want to treat all of us like Nazi slaves under the guise of illegal immigration.

How about we utilize a tiny fraction of common sense .. and understand that the criminals in Washington DC have been trying to implement a "National ID Card" for 20 years so they can track every man, woman and child ... where they are, where they go, what they buy, who the associate with .. and understand that they repeatedly use "deception" and "problem, reaction, solution" to further their aims, such as protecting us from Arab boogie men to capturing illegals.

How about we make the punishment for illegals a little harsher than simply a free ICE Bus ride back to the border, where they can simply turn around the very next day, and enter again?

How about we get rid of this "Border Baby" loophole that allows every pregnant woman who can manage to make it to the border ...go to a hospital and get free care, give birth, and be granted immediate legal status, which was their purpose at the outset?

Things like that ... you know ... common freaking sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration