Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,463,432 times

Advertisements

I speak Spanish fairly well (my mother taught me at a young age), but I will admit that I am horrible at writing in Spanish.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I speak Spanish fairly well (my mother taught me at a young age), but I will admit that I am horrible at writing in Spanish.
I have heard that said a lot: quite a few Spanish speakers have that same problem where writing it is concerned..........which is weird being that English is fiendishly difficult for most non native speakers to learn let alone get written the grammar/syntax down. Spanish is a fairly simple language by comparison.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,826,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You do realize that forcing native English speakers to learn Spanish in order to get a job is discrimination, don't you? Why should we have to learn the language of the invaders to get a job in our own country? It is getting to be a requirement with teachers, fire fighters, law enforcement and many other jobs. It is utter nonsense!
The operative word is forced. If one would like a better job, they can apply for the job that they qualify for. I would love a job as a Doctor, I just lack the schooling.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
The operative word is forced. If one would like a better job, they can apply for the job that they qualify for. I would love a job as a Doctor, I just lack the schooling.
Yes, Americans are being forced to learn Spanish to even get a minimum wage job in this country all to accomodate illegal aliens. This isn't necessarily about "better" jobs.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 AM

216 posts, read 667,429 times
It's about being able to speak to customers. If someone can speak English and Spanish, they can obviously communicate with customers who speak either language. This is a plus for businesses who are all competing for market share.

Needs of business change, as needed. At one time, we all used typewriters. Then we were "forced" to use computers to remain competitive. Whether we agree with changes or not, we need to "roll with them" or risk being left behind.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
I speak it -- I learned it by studying and traveling in Mexico. That's one reason I have very little tolerance for those people who come to take and take from the USA but have no ambition to learn even a few phrases in English.

I think learning the language of another country to travel in it makes the experience so much more meaningful, how can someone live here for 20 or 30 years and have no interest in learning anything of our language, our culture?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osomd1 View Post
No, it is not discrimination, different jobs require certain skills, including language, it can be german, russian, spanish, etc. I have a friend hired by a NY law firm that required to speak spanish, since the position required handling south-american accounts. There are jobs that require knowledge in engineering, that's not discrimination...
It is discrimination. Almost every single job that requires Spanish fluency will hire a native speaker of Spanish, that is an immigrant over an American citizen. Not only that, an American might speak Spanish quite well but the employer will make the assumption that a hispanic would be better - and you won't see La Raza types protest that stereotype.

It's also used to justify much chain migration. Many small businesses exist solely for the purpose of employing the extended family and of course Spanish fluency is a job requirement even when the actual job wouldn't require it.

This is why in the SW and other parts of the USA, you will not find many businesses that hire only whites or only blacks but many businesses that hire 100% hispanics. That's what they intend to do.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I speak it -- I learned it by studying and traveling in Mexico. That's one reason I have very little tolerance for those people who come to take and take from the USA but have no ambition to learn even a few phrases in English.

I think learning the language of another country to travel in it makes the experience so much more meaningful, how can someone live here for 20 or 30 years and have no interest in learning anything of our language, our culture?
I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for my grandparents. They lived in the U.S. for a long time (over 50 years) before they died. My grandmother managed to learn English from listening to the radio, watching TV and from her school aged son, who learned English in school. Her English was not perfect, but it was enough to get around, go shopping, etc.

My grandfather worked with other immigrants who spoke the same language as him. He worked 50-60 hours a week and took buses to work so he was out of the house, let's say 13 hours a day. They could not afford a car. I think he didn't learn English because he simply never had the time to. When he got home from work, he wanted to spend time with his family, eat dinner, read the paper and then go to bed.

The best time to learn a language is when you're young. It's not easy learning a new language, particularly when most of your time is spent in work and family.

My grandfather's lack of learning English, was by no means, a lack of interest or love for this country. He left his parents and many siblings behind to move here for a better life. That alone, is a huge sacrifice.

I think it was a matter of finding the time or being too tired to deal with it after working.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,826,173 times
Quote:

Well that could be a problem...Who's problem do you think it is?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
It is discrimination. Almost every single job that requires Spanish fluency will hire a native speaker of Spanish, that is an immigrant over an American citizen. Not only that, an American might speak Spanish quite well but the employer will make the assumption that a hispanic would be better - and you won't see La Raza types protest that stereotype.

It's also used to justify much chain migration. Many small businesses exist solely for the purpose of employing the extended family and of course Spanish fluency is a job requirement even when the actual job wouldn't require it.

This is why in the SW and other parts of the USA, you will not find many businesses that hire only whites or only blacks but many businesses that hire 100% hispanics. That's what they intend to do.
I don't agree with your first sentence at all - at least as it pertains to where I live. We have many first generation Americans, born here who speak fluent Spanish and English. They are U.S. born citizens - the children of immigrants. They get many jobs that immigrants don't get because they have high school diplomas and/or college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.