Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 11:31 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Really lol? Well that's 2 today, from you and Getout...where if you get debated on something like this you automatically make the "if you disagree with my opinion, you must have a hidden agenda to takeover America!!!!" ....comment.

What's next? The "You are not a real American" line?

Do me a favor, save it for someone else.
Excuse me? Please do not try and define the reality of a situation as I see it but for an explanation, one you failed miserably to grasp; I refer to those who hire illegal aliens, have invested interests (usually money or politics) or may be illegal themselves, rarely just as a heartfelt notion. Taking over America? That was all yours.....

Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
U.S. law is clear: If you run a business, you can't discriminate against any ethnic group, and that includes those ethnic groups that are likely to speak Spanish as a first (or only) language. So refusing service to those who speak Spanish solely for that reason is illegal. However, you don't have to employ Spanish speaking employees, although most businesses seem to.

I'm not proud or pleased that English speaking Americans are being discriminated against, in hiring.

I don't agree what many things American business does. Short of boycotting those businesses, I don't have any ideas on what we can do. We can try to get the laws changed, but business is powerful and they won't want to change - they want as much business as they can get and preferring to hire bilingual people is not illegal, IF they are legal citizens.

If you're refused work because you don't speak Spanish, you can tell that business that you'll never spend a dime of your money there and encourage other legal English speaking citizens to do the same. If enough people do that, it could make a difference, as long as English speaking legal citizens are the majority and ban together to start a movement. It takes work and commitment to create change. Our discussions on City Data are a good place to vent, but nothing ultimately comes out of it.

There is no easy solution to this. There are solutions, but they aren't easy.
Who is advocating refusing service to anyone based on their language usage? This is about pandering to illegal aliens in their language for a buck. That isn't the same as refusing service to anyone.

What you have suggested is exactly what I have done. I have e-mailed their corporate headquarters and told them I will no longer do business with them because of their discriminating hiring practices and their ads over the inter-com in Spanish only or in both Spanish and English.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Really lol? Well that's 2 today, from you and Getout...where if you get debated on something like this you automatically make the "if you disagree with my opinion, you must have a hidden agenda to takeover America!!!!" ....comment.

What's next? The "You are not a real American" line?

Do me a favor, save it for someone else.
Looks like I hit a nerve of truth here by your uncalled for outburst.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:16 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
The whole country is supporting Spanish. Look at all the products today. There is always a Spanish part.

I think to calm people down they make a voice they are going to do something but in reality they are just trying to calm people down.

I speak and read Spanish although English speaking. I love the Spanish language. It make more sense in it's form.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
The whole country is supporting Spanish. Look at all the products today. There is always a Spanish part.

I think to calm people down they make a voice they are going to do something but in reality they are just trying to calm people down.

I speak and read Spanish although English speaking. I love the Spanish language. It make more sense in it's form.
No, the whole country is not embracing Spanish, only those out to make a buck off of illegal aliens and those Hispanics who do not want to assimilate to our langauge are.

Your last sentence is irrelevant to the discussion. I may like the tChinese language also but I don't want everything printed in Chinese in our country or to hear it everywhere I go either. If I want that I will move to China.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
ctly what I have done. I have e-mailed their corporate headquarters and told them I will no longer do business with them because of their discriminating hiring practices and their ads over the inter-com in Spanish only or in both Spanish and English.
So where do you shop? If go to LA or Miami all companies need to have at least one bilingual employee at their retail locations. Maybe that's what they need at that time, a bilingual employee, it doesn't mean everybody that gets hired there has to speak Spanish. You have a very narrow minded point of view. In Miami, Non hispanic Blacks and whites work too in customer service positions. I see them all the time. Do I need to post pictures or videos? Please, I bet you you were not even applying for those jobs.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
So where do you shop? If go to LA or Miami all companies need to have at least one bilingual employee at their retail locations. Maybe that's what they need at that time, a bilingual employee, it doesn't mean everybody that gets hired there has to speak Spanish. You have a very narrow minded point of view. In Miami, Non hispanic Blacks and whites work too in customer service positions. I see them all the time. Do I need to post pictures or videos? Please, I bet you you were not even applying for those jobs.
I don't have a problem with bi-lingual employees being hired. The problem is when they are being favored over other equally qualified mono-lingual employees to placate illegal alien Spanish speakers. I have often read employment ads that say bi-lingual preferred and they weren't tourist jobs either. I am retired but I did run across that problem when I was seeking work long ago as many others still do.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
U.S. law is clear: If you run a business, you can't discriminate against any ethnic group, and that includes those ethnic groups that are likely to speak Spanish as a first (or only) language. So refusing service to those who speak Spanish solely for that reason is illegal. However, you don't have to employ Spanish speaking employees, although most businesses seem to.

I'm not proud or pleased that English speaking Americans are being discriminated against, in hiring.

I don't agree what many things American business does. Short of boycotting those businesses, I don't have any ideas on what we can do. We can try to get the laws changed, but business is powerful and they won't want to change - they want as much business as they can get and preferring to hire bilingual people is not illegal, IF they are legal citizens.

If you're refused work because you don't speak Spanish, you can tell that business that you'll never spend a dime of your money there and encourage other legal English speaking citizens to do the same. If enough people do that, it could make a difference, as long as English speaking legal citizens are the majority and ban together to start a movement. It takes work and commitment to create change. Our discussions on City Data are a good place to vent, but nothing ultimately comes out of it.

There is no easy solution to this. There are solutions, but they aren't easy.
It would not hold up in a court of law if I refuse to serve someone who did not speak English--------especially if miscommunication could risk life or limb. Case in point; say someone comes into work wanting an alignment, if I cannot understand the customer.........he will need to either go elsewhere or bring a translator.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 AM

15 posts, read 42,271 times
I lived in the U.S.as a student in the 80`s, I am fixing my papers and my family´s to see if we can live in the U.S. LEGALLY, to run away from comunism (Venezuela is already comunist, although Chavez is scared to make it official) but U.S: citizens are right..... These illegal inmigrants are making things worse....

I agree that illegal inmigration has to be stopped....

Many illegals are making U.S. citizens' life unbearable....

Gangs, drugs, crimes, bad customs, etc.....

I do not agree with that.....

Old 06-27-2010, 12:12 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
I learned some spanish from my former state Governor.

Hasta la Vista baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration