U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 07:15 PM

4,799 posts, read 7,300,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Being asked for one's driver's license during a traffic stop cannot be compared to having one's house searched without a warrant. The comparison of the two is ridiculous.

If the liquor store down the street was robbed by a tall, blue-eyed strawberry blonde woman, I would expect that I would be stopped, questioned/and or <GASP> even brought downtown for questioning. If I am innocent, then I should have nothing to fear.

Read the d*mn bill and stop listening to the sound bites. Your ignorance is hanging out.
There...fixed it.

I changed my mind about what I wanted to say and didn't delete the previous sentence entirely.

I sooooo hate typos!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 05:52 AM

438 posts, read 409,381 times
"Does the Arizona immigration bill allow searches of law abiding citizens?"

Yes , the pre revised version did.

Quote:
Arizona’s controversial immigration law was revised over the weekend. The changes, specifying that police may only question the immigration status of those they suspect of being in the country illegally if they have already stopped them for a different reason, represent a state backtrack that critics are latching onto.
SB 1070 was revised with the above revision after the fallout that followed the original SB 1070.
Arizona immigration law revised: backtracking or fine-tuning? - CSMonitor.com

Old 05-17-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
In all likelyhood, if the police ever raided a house without a warrant, all evidence/ info would be tossed out of court.....and can be proven. ( in the case of an immediate threat to a person or persons the rules change) I suppose that someone here knows the law, and will correct me if I am wrong.

According to all police info, McVeigh and Nicholls were in fact "white" so it would make since to me to profile " whites"...
Does McVeigh and Nichols being White allow law enforcement to stop any and all White males ? I really don't see the American public allowing the authorities to stop any White male for just being White males.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 AM

14,307 posts, read 10,306,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
Does McVeigh and Nichols being White allow law enforcement to stop any and all White males ? I really don't see the American public allowing the authorities to stop any White male for just being White males.
No, neither whites nor any other race can be stopped just because of their race. The same is spelled out in this new law which apparently you and others are ignoring anyway. In any investigation regardless of your race unless there is suspicion of you being directly connected to a particular crime through leads it would be ridiculous to question every person in America just because their race is the same as the the criminal they are looking for but then you knew that.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, neither whites nor any other race can be stopped just because of their race. The same is spelled out in this new law which apparently you and others are ignoring anyway. In any investigation regardless of your race unless there is suspicion of you being directly connected to a particular crime through leads it would be ridiculous to question every person in America just because their race is the same as the the criminal they are looking for but then you knew that.

Well SB 1070 prior to the revision did give law enforcement the power to question anyone they thought was an illegal. Which really means any working class Brown person, because they obviously weren't going to stop White folks.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
Well SB 1070 prior to the revision did give law enforcement the power to question anyone they thought was an illegal. Which really means any working class Brown person, because they obviously weren't going to stop White folks.
No, it did not! Only the wording was changed for clarity. Racial profiling or just stopping someone for the sole purpose that LE thought might be in this country illegally was not in the original bill. That was never the intention of it.

Do you actually think there are no "white folks" in this country illegally?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
No, it did not! Only the wording was changed for clarity. Racial profiling or just stopping someone for the sole purpose that LE thought might be in this country illegally was not in the original bill. That was never the intention of it.

Do you actually think there are no "white folks" in this country illegally?
You make it sound like the bill underwent a minor modification but the essence of the original stayed the same.

The original did not state unequivocally that a person must first be stopped for some other offense before their legal resident status can be checked. This revision unequivocally states a person can only be asked to prove their legal resident status after they are stopped for some other offense. That is pretty big difference in enforcement.

Before SB 1070, Arizona's Sheriff Arapaio and some other states were already checking the legal status of persons they had pulled over for a primary offense.

Ofcourse there are White illegals but since the vast majority of White folks are legal residents and the vast majority of illegals are Brown, realistically law enforcement is not going to stop and check White folks.

Last edited by PacNW transplant; 05-17-2010 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 12:27 PM

1,038 posts, read 963,394 times
Quote:
It's one thing to arrest someone for not having a drivers license. If that is indeed the law , so be it. It's another thing to arrest someone on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant. This law allows LE to arrest people (Americans included) on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant. Bascially you are guilty until proven innocent.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,059,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
It's one thing to arrest someone for not having a drivers license. If that is indeed the law , so be it. It's another thing to arrest someone on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant. This law allows LE to arrest people (Americans included) on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant. Bascially you are guilty until proven innocent.

You might want to reading through this and consider editing
your post

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

Old 05-17-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
How do you know if someone can't produce I.D. that they will be immediately arrested for suspicion of being illegally in this country? You assume a lot. From what I understand LE can check a database with you name, address, SS#, etc. There are many things that would have to transpire before an arrest would transpire. ICE would get involved if there was any real legitimate suspicion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration