U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 AM

8,652 posts, read 14,002,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Does your ID prove that you are in country legally?

They are not checking "citizenship" but if you are in the country legally.
- can you prove that you are a US citizen?
- do you have a resident alien card (green card)
- have a non-expired non-immigrant visa (E, K1, TN, H1B)
- are you a legal visitor - business or tourist
- are a visitor from a Visa Waiver Country who is allowed in country for 90 days without a visa (Andorra, Hungary, New Zealand, Australia, Iceland, Norway, Austria, Ireland, Portugal, Belgium, Italy, San Marino, Brunei, Japan, Singapore, Czech Republic, Latvia, Slovakia, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Estonia, Lithuania, South Korea, Finland, Luxembourg, Spain, France, Malta, Sweden, Germany, Monaco, Switzerland, Greece, the Netherlands, United Kingdom)
- are you a Canadian in the country legally - no paperwork required for short business trips or vacations but not allowed to "reside" or work - many Canadians are non-white and/or from Latin America or Asia
-are you Mexican national in the country legally?

The police will have to become experts in immigration.
Once they've rounded up a suspect what do they do? Keep them in a county jail until INS comes to review the case and pick them up?
First of all there is no INS any longer.. It is now known as ICE...

And we are not the EU..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:40 AM

17,852 posts, read 18,211,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
There is no constitutional authority for the federal government to mandate people to have any form of identification. I have every right to remain anonymous in my daily business when I am doing no wrong. But how do they know I'm doing know wrong? There's that other darned part of the constitution statists like yourself try to ignore, the presumption of innocence.

I am innocent of any and all wrongdoing, period, until it is proven otherwise.

Presumption of innocence means I am under no obligation to prove innocence to anyone, I am innocent until the accuser proves that I am not.
All AZ law requires is that you properly identify yourself when stopped by law enforcement. Which simply means you are required to tell law enforcement your name. No identification is required. There is no obligation on the part of anyone stopped by AZ police to prove anything.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 AM

10,364 posts, read 10,687,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
All AZ law requires is that you properly identify yourself when stopped by law enforcement. Which simply means you are required to tell law enforcement your name. No identification is required. There is no obligation on the part of anyone stopped by AZ police to prove anything.
If you're driving you sure as hell need to show a drivers license.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,120,440 times
This law was never intended to give law enforcement the option to just walk down the street, see someone minding his or her own busines, committing no crime, and pull them aside to prove their legal status. It does however give law enforcement the right to ask for proof of status if they stop someone for running a red light, speeding, breaking into a home, and a host of other crimes. The key is that there must first be an illegal act before anyone can be asked to prove their status. Two benefits should be derived from this new legislation - first, it should encourage those who are here illegally to behave to avoid getting asked to show proof and secondly it will identify those who have no right to be here and see to their deportation (but only if they broke a law to get asked for proof). This seems like a win-win situation to me.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM

22,244 posts, read 13,395,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Well, that may be true now, but when this Law takes effect?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 AM

22,112 posts, read 20,481,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
If you're driving you sure as hell need to show a drivers license.

Thank you!!! Thank You!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 AM

2,404 posts, read 2,326,923 times
It's a slippery slope, that is what most opponents are getting at. If they can do this, what will they be able to do next, and to what other groups?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 AM

17,852 posts, read 18,211,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
This law was never intended to give law enforcement the option to just walk down the street, see someone minding his or her own busines, committing no crime, and pull them aside to prove their legal status. It does however give law enforcement the right to ask for proof of status if they stop someone for running a red light, speeding, breaking into a home, and a host of other crimes. The key is that there must first be an illegal act before anyone can be asked to prove their status. Two benefits should be derived from this new legislation - first, it should encourage those who are here illegally to behave to avoid getting asked to show proof and secondly it will identify those who have no right to be here and see to their deportation (but only if they broke a law to get asked for proof). This seems like a win-win situation to me.
Nobody is required to prove anything under S.B. 1070. AZ statute (that already exists) requires that you properly identify yourself when stopped by law enforcement, and the Supreme Court held that merely giving your name is sufficient.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 AM

2,462 posts, read 4,776,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
How about letting the Health Care bill go into effect before making grand assumptions?
HA!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:55 AM

2,462 posts, read 4,776,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
How about letting the friggin' bill go into effect before making all these grand assumptions.
A bill that basically endorses state-run racial profiling..Sure..I can't wait to see the results. This is a disater waiting to happen. I HOPE i'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration