U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 01:06 PM

2,662 posts, read 5,149,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Thank you for your service to this country. But please, don't just critique someone without offering an alternative. You don't like the new law. OK, but what do *you* think should be done?

How would *YOU* handle the problem with illegal immigration if you were the AZ Governor?
Unfortunately, the elimination of the provision that grants automatic citizenship to children born to illegals would be a federal issue, but that would be a start.

Crack down on employers who hire cheap illegal labor.

Tired arguments, but at least two alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 01:24 PM

7,406 posts, read 3,744,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Oh will you stop? If they're going to detain people, it's going to be Mexican's who are living in Arizona...and as I said before, this has gone way to far...well over the top and financially breaking Arizona...and our country...

If my son stops any one for a traffic violation, he has the right to find out if this person is illegal, and if they are, they should be sent back, do not pass go, do not collect 2oo.oo. Illegal means, they are in this country illegally and there is, & should be a law against that...

All they're going to do, is ask people for ID...so, you better make certain you have the proper ID on your person is all...and if you don't...tough...things have got to change and soon, because our country is going broke.

Let me ask you a question...you mean to tell me, if you go to visit another country, your not going to make sure you have the proper ID on you, so you don't get stopped at customes, in or out...or thrown in jail while there?
I don't expect the police to be able to detain me in my own country unless I have broken a law or they have strong suspicion that I have broken a law.

Justify the following case.

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Arizona News

The guy wasn't in the process of breaking any law. He had ID. He was born in the United States. He was still detained.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:32 PM

7,406 posts, read 3,744,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
All AZ law requires is that you properly identify yourself when stopped by law enforcement. Which simply means you are required to tell law enforcement your name. No identification is required. There is no obligation on the part of anyone stopped by AZ police to prove anything.
Explain this case
Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Arizona News

Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 PM

791 posts, read 1,205,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
And if the police don't accept your ID or documents, how long should they be able to hold you?
1 hour on the side of the road....if the supervisor of the company I work for or my attorney /parents/relatives/wife ....can`t arrive there with documents to support my claim that I am a citizen, county jail bound until proof can be provided to the judge next day. best to keep your passport and Drivers License in car...saves the jail time and aggravation of calling the wife, the boss....etc.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 PM

29,639 posts, read 32,009,846 times
It's not part of the AZ law as that hasn't gone into effect yet. I don't know the details of this case and either do you. Ask the police if you want answers but don't trot it out as some sort of "proof" of anything when the details aren't available.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:00 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,634,282 times
Did you actually read the article you posted?

No birth certificate was required or provided, despite what the title of the article says. He was also driving a commercial vehicle, so he had better have a commercial drivers license and any other documentation associated with operating a commercial vehicle in the US and AZ. Nor does the article mention any question he was asked. In short, this article is obviously intended to be a hatchet job against the AZ law, and the journalist is clearly willing to lie to push her anti-American agenda.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:05 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,119,924 times
Quote:
this article is obviously intended to be a hatchet job against the AZ law, and the journalist is clearly willing to lie to push her anti-American agenda.
Obviously.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 PM

19,489 posts, read 13,221,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Unfortunately, the elimination of the provision that grants automatic citizenship to children born to illegals would be a federal issue, but that would be a start.

Crack down on employers who hire cheap illegal labor.

Tired arguments, but at least two alternatives.
Ending the anchor babies would be a great start.

Why is it that when a foreign born guest, like a tourist, or a foreign exchange student or a diplomatic ambassador, has a baby in our hospital, while visiting the United sates, does not have their baby made into an automatic US citizen, but an illegal immigrant does?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:15 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,970,765 times
Quote:
Did you actually read the article you posted?

No birth certificate was required or provided, despite what the title of the article says.

He provided his commercial driverís license and a social security number but ended up handcuffed.

An agent called his wife and she had to leave work to drive home and grab other documents like his birth certificate.

Jackie explains, ďI have his social security card as well and mine. He's legit. It's the first time it's ever happened.Ē

A representative at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) returned 3TVís calls after researching the incident and she said this was standard operating procedure.
The agents needed to verify Abdon was in the country legally and it is not uncommon to ask for someone's birth certificate.

- under the new law a driver's license is all that's needed to prove that one is in the country legally

Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,634,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post

He provided his commercial driverís license and a social security number but ended up handcuffed.

An agent called his wife and she had to leave work to drive home and grab other documents like his birth certificate.

Jackie explains, ďI have his social security card as well and mine. He's legit. It's the first time it's ever happened.Ē

A representative at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) returned 3TVís calls after researching the incident and she said this was standard operating procedure.
The agents needed to verify Abdon was in the country legally and it is not uncommon to ask for someone's birth certificate.

- under the new law a driver's license is all that's needed to prove that one is in the country legally
ICE Agents enforce federal law, not State statutes. So this so-called yellow journalist feels compelled to lie, implying that this has something to do with AZ S.B. 1070 when it reality it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Under S.B. 1070 nobody is required to prove anything, and if you are not operating a motorized vehicle, then you are not required to have any form of ID at all.

What law enforcement asks, and what you are required to provide may be two completely different things. Just because they ask, does not mean you are required to comply. In AZ, if you are not operating a motorized vehicle, then all that anyone is required by law to provide law enforcement is their proper name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration