Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:32 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
You make it sound like the bill underwent a minor modification but the essence of the original stayed the same.

The original did not state unequivocally that a person must first be stopped for some other offense before their legal resident status can be checked. This revision unequivocally states a person can only be asked to prove their legal resident status after they are stopped for some other offense. That is pretty big difference in enforcement.

Before SB 1070, Arizona's Sheriff Arapaio and some other states were already checking the legal status of persons they had pulled over for a primary offense.

Ofcourse there are White illegals but since the vast majority of White folks are legal residents and the vast majority of illegals are Brown, realistically law enforcement is not going to stop and check White folks.
Again, no matter what one's race is LE isn't going to stop you simply for that. I don't know how much clearer I can make it. If a white person cannot produce an I.D. after law contact then and only then would questions of status come into play. The same criteria will apply to all races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again, no matter what one's race is LE isn't going to stop you simply for that. I don't know how much clearer I can make it. If a white person cannot produce an I.D. after law contact then and only then would questions of status come into play. The same criteria will apply to all races.
What would happen if the person cannot produce ID to verify legal status? Do the cops let them go?

Old 05-17-2010, 03:08 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
It's one thing to arrest someone for not having a drivers license. If that is indeed the law , so be it. It's another thing to arrest someone on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant. This law allows LE to arrest people (Americans included) on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant. Bascially you are guilty until proven innocent.
Quote:
What would happen if the person cannot produce ID to verify legal status? Do the cops let them go?
I don't care to re-type the same thing over and over again. See post #138 for the answer.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:35 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I don't care to re-type the same thing over and over again. See post #138 for the answer.
What if you don't have a valid drivers license, such as a pedestrian or a passenger? What if you are out of state? Do local law enforcement agents have access to federal database?

Old 05-17-2010, 04:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
You make it sound like the bill underwent a minor modification but the essence of the original stayed the same.
That would be correct.

Quote:
The original did not state unequivocally that a person must first be stopped for some other offense before their legal resident status can be checked.
Actually it did. Before anyone can have their citizenship status checked they must be stopped by law enforcement who has a "reasonable suspicsion" that they can articulate, that a crime has been, will be, or is in the process of being committed. This is also known as a "Terry Stop", and has been been both legal and constitutional for the last 42 years.

The verbage of the law comes straight from the Supreme Court decision in Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968).

Quote:
This revision unequivocally states a person can only be asked to prove their legal resident status after they are stopped for some other offense. That is pretty big difference in enforcement.
Nobody who is stopped by law enforcement is required to prove anything. It is entirely up to law enforcement to prove the person being detained is not a US citizen. If you are not operating a motorized vehicle, the only question you are required by law to answer is "What is your name?" You are not required to provide any ID of any kind. If you are operating a motorized vehicle at the time, you are required by law to provide a valid drivers license.

You do NOT have to answer any further questions, nor provide any proof to anyone that you are in the US legally. See Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, 542 U.S. 177 (2004).

Quote:
Before SB 1070, Arizona's Sheriff Arapaio and some other states were already checking the legal status of persons they had pulled over for a primary offense.

Of course there are White illegals but since the vast majority of White folks are legal residents and the vast majority of illegals are Brown, realistically law enforcement is not going to stop and check White folks.
That depends on your geographical location. Alaska has a lot more problems with illegal immigrants from Canada, Asia, Russia, and Europe than it has with Mexico or any other Latin America country.

During Governor Palin's last year in office she deported just over 10,000 illegal immigrants from Alaska and the vast majority of those were white.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
What if you don't have a valid drivers license, such as a pedestrian or a passenger? What if you are out of state? Do local law enforcement agents have access to federal database?
All states are connected via computers and any state can verify drivers license or permits. Yes, they have access to federal immigration databases.
If you don't have your ID and are walking down the street and are stopped for jaywalking, drinking a beer on public street, etc., the officer can simply run your info in the computer.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 PM

317 posts, read 404,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
All states are connected via computers and any state can verify drivers license or permits. Yes, they have access to federal immigration databases.
If you don't have your ID and are walking down the street and are stopped for jaywalking, drinking a beer on public street, etc., the officer can simply run your info in the computer.
I think the poster asked about people who don't have drivers license. If you are a natural born citizen you will not be in any federal immigration database, as you are not an immigrant.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
I think the poster asked about people who don't have drivers license. If you are a natural born citizen you will not be in any federal immigration database, as you are not an immigrant.
Pretty sure your SSN along with DOB name and address will satisfy there needs. I can't imagine living in this country without ID. How do you cash a check?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 PM

317 posts, read 404,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Pretty sure your SSN along with DOB name and address will satisfy there needs. I can't imagine living in this country without ID. How do you cash a check?
A cop in Arizona has instant access to records of out of state residents containing sensitive info like SSN . I'm not sure about that. Why would a New Yorker who has no drivers license and no criminal record be in a database instantly accessible to a cop in Arizona. I don't buy it.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
A cop in Arizona has instant access to records of out of state residents containing sensitive info like SSN . I'm not sure about that.
Now I know for a fact that my friend was stopped by a town cop in Dubois wyoming last october because cop thought he had had to much to drink. My friend had lost his wallet and was looking for it in the curb.
He gave that info and the cop was able to verify it as true. But then maybe every state has some limits or firewalls built into their individual systems.
Not sure but I am quite certain the SSN and DOB along with name and address will serve you if you dont have your ID or drivers license. I could be wrong I admit this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration