Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,157 times

Advertisements

Many on here claim that only illegal immigrants will be subject to the law. My understanding of the bill is that police can search anyone and demand to see proof of citizenship, including pedestrians. Which one is it? Is this law only for illegals or for anyone suspect? Are you required to carry a drivers license if you don't drive? If in fact the police have a right to search law abiding citizens who have commited no crime, is this constitutional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Many on here claim that only illegal immigrants will be subject to the law. My understanding of the bill is that police can search anyone and demand to see proof of citizenship, including pedestrians. Which one is it? Is this law only for illegals or for anyone suspect? Are you required to carry a drivers license if you don't drive? If in fact the police have a right to search law abiding citizens who have commited no crime, is this constitutional?
What difference is this law than when the police stop people at a check point randomly to see if the driver is DUI? There was no proof that a crime was being committed, but we don't have a problem with DUI checkpoints, so why not Illegal Alien Checkpoints?

I know people hate this argument but, if you are here legally why worry about it? I know if I am stopped I would gladly hand over my ID (who doesn't carry an ID with at all times now anyway?) and have a nice talk with the officer. He is just doing his job, and this time around his job is something I wish I could do myself, eliminate part of the illegal alien problem.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
What difference is this law than when the police stop people at a check point randomly to see if the driver is DUI? There was no proof that a crime was being committed, but we don't have a problem with DUI checkpoints, so why not Illegal Alien Checkpoints?

I know people hate this argument but, if you are here legally why worry about it? I know if I am stopped I would gladly hand over my ID (who doesn't carry an ID with at all times now anyway?) and have a nice talk with the officer. He is just doing his job, and this time around his job is something I wish I could do myself, eliminate part of the illegal alien problem.
There are already immigration checkpoints, this law is different.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Pedestrians are not subject to DUI. This law also allows people to be searched in multiple places, work, public places, stores, private places,etc.. Would you support radom drug testing by the government at your place of work? What about at restaurants, parks, movie theatres?

Quote:
So you have no problem with a mandatory identification card? You have no problem with law abiding citizens being searched randomly.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,602,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post

If your not illegal....who cares!

Oh and if the Feds would kick out the illegals in the 1st place...this would be a none issue!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
If your not illegal....who cares!

Oh and if the Feds would kick out the illegals in the 1st place...this would be a none issue!
Should I take that as a yes or I don't care?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
This is how the law reads in part:

ARTICLE 8. ENFORCEMENT OF IMMIGRATION LAWS
11-1051. Cooperation and assistance in enforcement of immigration laws; indemnification

B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY
OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS
STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

How you establish a constitutional standard for reasonable suspicion is beyond me.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
What do you mean by "search?" Pat-down? Back seat. Glove box? Trunk?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This is how the law reads in part:

ARTICLE 8. ENFORCEMENT OF IMMIGRATION LAWS
11-1051. Cooperation and assistance in enforcement of immigration laws; indemnification

B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY
OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS
STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

How you establish a constitutional standard for reasonable suspicion is beyond me.
We need to know the definition of "lawful contact" as well. Since none of us here seem to have a clue what legal meaning these terms have, it's way too early to be crying "nazi totalitarian communist fascist racist." I'm not an expert in either AZ or US constitutional law, and neither are any of you. Therefore, to me, those screaming "unconstitutional" to this law will be filed next to those screaming the same about the health care act.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 AM

97 posts, read 95,064 times
You know, I don't understand why people are so outraged by Arizona's new law. After all, it worked so well for Germany!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration